Your 2009 Jim Palmer Quotables Thread

Moose Milligan

BP has an interview of Palmer by David Laurila (subscriber only). Not a lot of groundbreaking stuff, but Palmer comes off as very incoherent and unable to keep focus. A good example:

[long quote deleted]

Umm... ok.

I don't see what's wrong with that. It was an off-the-cuff response in an interview, so it wasn't exactly planned and organized. But if you look at what he said and pull out the factoids, what he said is correct:

• Hitters are better prepared physically.
  • Hitters are better prepared re: knowledge about pitchers.
  • Some factors have been anti-pitcher; one example is the era of tiny strike zones.
  • Regardless of all that, as a P you need to be better than the other teams' P.
  • That means being prepared and able to go deep in a game.
  • That also means knowing what the enemy hitters' tendencies are, and finding ways to exploit that to the best benefit.
  • What's important is keeping ER's down, not getting every hitter out by K's.

I'm sure if he had advance notice, and was gonna make a Powerpoint presentation, it would have been better organized, more concise, and with more supporting details. But what he said is right.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see what's wrong with that. It was an off-the-cuff response in an interview, so it wasn't exactly planned and organized. But if you look at what he said and pull out the factoids, what he said is correct:
  • Hitters are better prepared physically.
  • Hitters are better prepared re: knowledge about pitchers.
  • Some factors have been anti-pitcher; one example is the era of tiny strike zones.
  • Regardless of all that, as a P you need to be better than the other teams' P.
  • That means being prepared and able to go deep in a game.
  • That also means knowing what the enemy hitters' tendencies are, and finding ways to exploit that to the best benefit.
  • What's important is keeping ER's down, not getting every hitter out by K's.

I'm sure if he had advance notice, and was gonna make a Powerpoint presentation, it would have been better organized, more concise, and with more supporting details. But what he said is right.

I didn't say it was factually incorrect. But reading about 3-4 pages worth of that kind of rambling gave me a headache. It almost read like a Grandpa Simpson story.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
a wonderful tirade in the 8th inning after a very questionable called strike to Felix Pie. Some highlights included Palmer vituperating the "pathetic" umpire and endorsing a system of umpire evaluation.

That whole rant after the terrible second strike call to Pie was great. Palmer didn't hold back at all saying the umpire should be ashamed of himself, calling the umpire "pathetic", and talking about how much of a disgrace the umpiring in the last two games as been.

I liked when he was talking about how when a player does bad they go to the minors, but when an ump does bad, he just gets on the plane and goes to the next city.

Good ol' Jim...

That was great, good for you Palmer.

"You should be ashamed of yourself, because you've got to be better than that."

Palmer on home plate umpire Tony Randazzo. Classic stuff Mr. palmer!

Archived