Your 2009 Jim Palmer Quotables Thread

Moose Milligan

We've been collecting Palmerisms for years. My favorite of all time (paraphrased):

His team mates have taken to calling him Screech, because he resembles a character on a TV show. Now, I've never seen that show, but I understand that this character is quite homely. I assure you, that Jeff Fiorentino is not homely.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Opening Day when Johnson bounced one, Palmer said of Zaun:

Aside: MLB.TV is fantastic this year.

Response to aside: MLBTV ROCKS this year! Crisp, HD, the split 4 screen works flawlessly. The DVR feature is awesome. One flaw: the game board to the right is live, so if you are dvring and behind, you'll get info that you haven't seen yet. I knew it was 7-5 while it was just 7-2, my time.

"If you're gonna jerk it, jerk it down at home plate, not out to the left."

I have tried to reply to this post, and had to revise it about 10 times. I'm just going to use good judgement and let it go.

;)

My all-time favorite Palmer quote was several years ago when the infamous Sidney Ponson was on the mound. A slower roller was hit in front of the plate and Ponson ran up, got it, and threw the guy out at first. As they showed the replay Palmer says, "Look at Ponson coming off of the mound like he's going after a Corona to field it and throw the guy out." :laughlol: I still tell that one to friends on a regular basis.

I'll have to paraphrase as well. During Cal's anniversary of 2131 celebration Palmer said something like:

I wasn't able to see the game in person because I was on a cruise ship somewhere in the Mediterranean, but...

First, didn't the entire world have about 8 months notice on exactly when Cal would break the record?

Second, does it not even occur to the guy how elitist he sounded?

He's a brilliant and great commentator, IMO, but he doesn't go on the road because his ego can only fit in a ball park that doesn't have a roof.

Just a little bit ago Palmer said something like "everyone always says walks will kill you, I always thought its what happens after the walk."

That's a good one, but I guess if you think of the Braves in their game yesterday the walk did kill them when they walked in 4 runs.

Archived