Your 2009 Jim Palmer Quotables Thread

Moose Milligan

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite (and one he brings up every time the situation presents itself) is that he never gave up a grand slam in his entire major league career. That statement is as beaten-into-the-ground as Dempsey referring to “my nephew Gregg Zaun.” :D

I would love to go back and look at threads from the past couple years when DCab would be starting. Cakes had some real gems during DCab starts. ;)

Witchy

My favorite (and one he brings up every time the situation presents itself) is that he never gave up a grand slam in his entire major league career.

It would have been for his whole pro career, except for 1 pitch to Johnny Bench when he was down at Rochester.

Evidently, he stood on the mound, watching 4 guys cross the plate, and promised himself "I'm never doing that again."

Even Weaver used to say that Palmer always keeps his promises...

It would have been for his whole pro career, except for 1 pitch to Johnny Bench when he was down at Rochester.

Evidently, he stood on the mound, watching 4 guys cross the plate, and promised himself "I'm never doing that again."

Even Weaver used to say that Palmer always keeps his promises...

Tim Kurkjian of ESPN on The grand slam … unusual, yet fun

How about this? For the first 98 years of the National League, only one player hit two grand slams in one game, and he was a pitcher: Atlanta's Tony Cloninger on July 3, 1966. The next NL player to do it was the Cardinals' Fernando Tatis, and he hit his two grand slams in the same inning off the same pitcher, Chan Ho Park, in 1999.

That means that Park gave up two more grand slams in one inning than Hall of Fame pitcher Jim Palmer gave up in 3,948 career innings (I once asked Palmer about the closest he came to giving up a slam, and 25 years after it happened he recounted, almost pitch for pitch, loading the bases in Cleveland in the mid-70's, Rico Carty hitting a ball over the center-field fence and Al Bumbry reaching over the fence to catch it).

The thing I love about Palmer is that he is oblivious to his hilarity. He reminds me of Brooks, when he was doing color on the games. Brutally honest and just being his hilarious self. I loved it when Brooks refered to Albert Belle as Joey Belly, even after being reminded a dozen or more times that Albert didn't like being called Joey any more. Brools and Palmer are priceless.

Shame on PA for alienating Brooks, one of the best baseball players of all time, not to mention one of the finest men around.

This isn't an actual quote, but I'm still dying to hear something like this after a pitcher gives up a grand slam:

Palmer: "You know what it feels like to serve up a grand slam?"

Hunter: "What?"

Palmer: "I don't know. Never gave one up."

Has anyone ever heard a variation of this? I love when Palmer announces.

Archived