Your 2009 Jim Palmer Quotables Thread

Moose Milligan

One of my favorites was last year on MASN's Hot Stove Show. Palmer is calling in, talking about how it is good to have so much competition between the minor league pitchers. He says how when he was at Aberdeen, all 4 starters were excellent and bucking for that next promotion. He then rattles off the W-L record of all 4 starters from his 1964 season at Aberdeen! Meanwhile Roch Kubatko and Tom Davis are shaking their heads like, "can you believe this guy still remembers this?"

The guy's memory is unbelievable. I love it when he starts rattling off pitch sequences from some game 30+ years ago.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One of my favorites was last year on MASN's Hot Stove Show. Palmer is calling in, talking about how it is good to have so much competition between the minor league pitchers. He says how when he was at Aberdeen, all 4 starters were excellent and bucking for that next promotion. He then rattles off the W-L record of all 4 starters from his 1964 season at Aberdeen! Meanwhile Roch Kubatko and Tom Davis are shaking their heads like, "can you believe this guy still remembers this?"

The guy's memory is unbelievable. I love it when he starts rattling off pitch sequences from some game 30+ years ago.

He really does have a great memory. He probably remembers the day he was born.

I don't have the quote, but Palmer made an interesting comment last night after Juan Cruz misplayed Felix Pie's single, allowing Zaun/Pie to advance. He remembered back in the day, Willie Davis had a bunt single misplayed and almost turned in into an inside-the-park home run.

Can somebody run a comparison between Pie and Davis? Is that Pie's potential?

My momery is comparable to Palmers in an opposite kind of way:D. I never remember his quotable quotes:mad:

Well, so.....I cheated. :D

"I hate the cursed Oriole fundamentals... I've been doing them since 1964. I do them in my sleep. I hate spring training." Jim Palmer

Thats classic. I love it. But, I didnt remember it....

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jim_palmer.html

Losing is no disgrace if you've given your best.

Jim Palmer

Most pitchers are too smart to manage. (thats just too good)

Jim Palmer

There's only one cure for what's wrong with all of us pitchers, and that's to take a year off. Then, after you've gone a year without throwing, quit altogether.

Jim Palmer

Two weeks, maybe three. You never know with psychosomatic injuries You have to take your time with them.

Jim Palmer

You can't win if nobody catches the ball in the outfield. You're only as good as the team you have behind you.

Jim Palmer

Your memorabilia becomes more significant. It does put you in a different category.

Jim Palmer

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jim_palmer.html

Someone may beat me to this, but this one just encapsulates what Palmer is all about...

Thorne and Palmer were discussing a player who was scouted when he was 9. Palmer became incredulous and thought it was impressive. But, of course, he had to throw in the part about how HE was scouted at 13.

The things Palmer says never get old.

Someone, if you can and want, please post the actual dialogue...

My favorite Jim Palmer quote was from a couple years ago when Jeff Conine was playing with us. Palmer was trying to explain Conine's recent struggles and he said (paraphrased) "This must be hard for Conine. It's the first time he's played baseball while he is 40 years old.":)

Someone may beat me to this, but this one just encapsulates what Palmer is all about...

Thorne and Palmer were discussing a player who was scouted when he was 9. Palmer became incredulous and thought it was impressive. But, of course, he had to throw in the part about how HE was scouted at 13.

The things Palmer says never get old.

Someone, if you can and want, please post the actual dialogue...

Palmer received a $50,000 signing bonus at the age of 18 from the Orioles back in 1963. That was alot of money for a youngster back than. I'm sure he probably was scouted at that young age and his progress followed each subsequent year.

Archived