2 moves that should be coming soon

wildcard

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Flaherty had 5 years of service.   They would have needed his permission to send him down.  And that was not happening to a pending FA.   I forget if he had options but it didn't matter.

I don't expect the options to make a difference. It would be one thing if we had a better alternative but we don't.

I don't think the lack of options were a factor in keeping Flaherty. That is something you worry about in April or May but not September. We kept him because there was a better chance of him pitching to his norms than anyone else matching his production. 

Anyway, we will see.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I don't expect the options to make a difference. It would be one thing if we had a better alternative but we don't.

I don't think the lack of options were a factor in keeping Flaherty. That is something you worry about in April or May but not September. We kept him because there was a better chance of him pitching to his norms than anyone else matching his production. 

Anyway, we will see.

7.53 ERA will not keep him in the majors.  He has to do better to stay.

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Small sample sizes still don’t mean anything to you, do they?

I agree as an O he hasn’t a lot of innings, though they’ve all been mediocre or worse.

But How much time does he need?

And we don’t have a lot of time to waste on “mediocre of worse”

Edited by HowAboutThat
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

FTFY

I don’t recall what Irvin’s velocity is but velocity that declines over multiple seasons probably won’t come back.

Im not against Rogers but he hasn’t been good and we needed someone who would reasonably be expected to be better than what we have.

Too late to do anything about it now, but this kind of transaction bodes ill for the offseason.

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

7.53 ERA will not keep him in the majors.  He has to do better to stay.

Agreed, but absent injury I would be shocked if he doesn't get at least a few more starts to see what he can do. He had a 3.38 in June and 3.56 in July. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the O’s traded two well-regarded prospects for Rogers so that they could send him to the minors after four starts.   

They traded Hernaiz for Irvin and sent him to the minors after 3 starts and that wasn’t even during a pennant race.

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Small sample sizes still don’t mean anything to you, do they?

You should talk to Elias.

On June 13th Irvin's record is 6-3 in 11 starts with a 3.03 ERA.

Three bad starts later he is out of the rotation.   No options left he is sent to the pen.  

5 relief appearance later he has a 9.00 ERA in July and he is DFA'd.

All I am saying is the Rogers  better start pitching better or he will lose his rotation spot.   He has no relief  experience having started 83 major league games with zero relief games. 

If he is taking out of the rotation he will likely to sent down to work on his stuff because he has options.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

You should talk to Elias.

On June 13th Irvin's record is 6-3 in 11 starts with a 3.03 ERA.

Three bad starts later he is out of the rotation.   No options left he is sent to the pen.  

5 relief appearance later he has a 9.00 ERA in July and he is DFA'd.

All I am saying is the Rogers  better start pitching better or he will lose his rotation spot.   He has no relief  experience having started 83 major league games with zero relief games. 

If he is taking out of the rotation he will likely to sent down to work on his stuff because he has options.

He has been with the organization since 23. That is a pretty big sample.

9 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I am curious why you think the change to a sinker would help him. Pardon my ignorance.

CH typically has more extension than a pitcher's FB and definitely more than breaking pitches. Lots of extension seems to hint that your change could be pretty good if you nail it down. A sinker has a subtle touch of pronation too; with his extension and a cleaned up delivery, I just wonder if both those pitches can get better.