7 pitchers

Sports Guy

7 pitchers is basically all you need to win in the playoffs.

3 starters and 4 go to relievers.

Do the Os have that?

I feel like we have the starters, assuming GRod gets back and doesn’t have the same mechanical issues he has had coming back from injuries in the past.

Dominguez looks good right now but I feel it’s too soon to tell.

Kimbrel and Soto are complete mysteries.

DC has that potential depending on when he gets back and how he looks.

Who else? Do you believe we can rely on Webb, assuming he’s healthy and pitching well?  Or would you want him more as the 5th or 6th guy?

Probably looking at a wild card series.  Hopefully we will have Burnes, Grayson, and Eflin for those 3.  We can win a series with Burnes, Eflin, and Suarez. 

Lets say NYY and CLEV get the byes.  That puts us on the road for 3 @HOU.  Or we could play @KC, @SEA, @BOS, or @Min.  Or play those last 4 teams at home.  

7 minutes ago, Gunnar said:

Cano?

Ugh…I did forget about him for someone reason.

That said, I do think he could be one of the 4 but I would rather him be the 4th guy vs the first or second guy and that’s what he is right now.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

7 pitchers is basically all you need to win in the playoffs.

3 starters and 4 go to relievers.

Do the Os have that?

I feel like we have the starters, assuming GRod gets back and doesn’t have the same mechanical issues he has had coming back from injuries in the past.

Dominguez looks good right now but I feel it’s too soon to tell.

Kimbrel and Soto are complete mysteries.

DC has that potential depending on when he gets back and how he looks.

Who else? Do you believe we can rely on Webb, assuming he’s healthy and pitching well?  Or would you want him more as the 5th or 6th guy?

Well they wont carry 7, does not matter weather it,s 11 or 12, other than the 3starters you named every body else needs to get better. Would love to get the DC pre injury back.

Just now, Safelykept said:

Well they wont carry 7, does not matter weather it,s 11 or 12, other than the 3starters you named every body else needs to get better. Would love to get the DC pre injury back.

I’m not talking about how many pitchers they carry. They will have some guys they use in very low leverage situations.

Im talking about the guys you really rely on. Most teams fall back on 3-4 relievers in the playoffs because they can pitch every game And eventually starters can join the pen if needed as a series goes on.

Cano could be a guy that gets hot.  He’s had a sneaky good season.  All his statcast data is about the same as 2023.  He’s getting more K but has given up more walks this year (substantially) and has been hurt by the HR.  If he’s more efficient with base runners and limits the HR (he actually has a better GB% this year) he can be a weapon. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Probably looking at a wild card series.  Hopefully we will have Burnes, Grayson, and Eflin for those 3.  We can win a series with Burnes, Eflin, and Suarez. 

Lets say NYY and CLEV get the byes.  That puts us on the road for 3 @HOU.  Or we could play @KC, @SEA, @BOS, or @Min.  Or play those last 4 teams at home.  

If we are a wild card team, I think we will be the #1 wild card which would at least give us a home series.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not talking about how many pitchers they carry. They will have some guys they use in very low leverage situations.

Im talking about the guys you really rely on. Most teams fall back on 3-4 relievers in the playoffs because they can pitch every game And eventually starters can join the pen if needed as a series goes on.

No i did not mean it like that, I know their noy going to carry seven, But it does matter the top 4 BP arms they all need tostep up.

4 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

I love the Eflin trade and his performance so far, but I’m reminded he was completely shelled last year in the playoffs.

a reminder anything can happen even to your most reliable arms.

Sure and we could have to pitch Kremer or Rogers and they could be lights out in a start. Just never know 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ugh…I did forget about him for someone reason.

That said, I do think he could be one of the 4 but I would rather him be the 4th guy vs the first or second guy and that’s what he is right now.

What about Tate? He appears not to be an option anymore. (I admit that I don’t pay close attention like I used to. Is he still dealing with injury hangover?)

Soto and Kimbrel have to step up. If there was ever a time for a gut check for both it has to be the next 3 months. Soto has expressed a desire to close when he was with the Phils. Instead they traded him. In essence they said to him, "we don't believe you are a high leverage reliever on a playoff team." And it's not about stuff, Dude has an arm. He needs to pitch like he has a chip on his shoulder. Kimbrel is a pro. He will figure it out and would be solid in a role where he and Soto share the closer's role, IMHO. Hyde can match up and use the analytics to his advantage.

Cano is solid. 

That leaves Seranthony and a bunch of low leverage options. I like Burch Smith as a multi inning guy and I think they could drop Suarez into a high leveage spot if they had to.

So Burnes, Rodriguez and Eflin. Cano, Dominguez, Kimbrel and Soto. Those are your 7. Gotta dance with the girl you brought....

I think GRod and his availability/effectiveness is what could determine how much of a chance we have. If he comes back and is close to what he was, we could be in good shape pitching wise and then you have Suarez in the pen. Add DC and it looks even better. Without GRod it looks much more bleak. 

Burnes, Grayson, Eflin could be enough.

Seranthony and Cano are solid. I'd rather have them in the 7th and 8th than closing games, but it is what it is. 

After that, it's a lot of questions marks. Can Coulombe make it back?  Are Akin and Burch Smith for real, or will they choke in the big moments? Can Kimbrel, Soto, or Cionel harness their stuff and put together a string of good outings? How about Webb?

I think it is likely that we can find two guys to step up and pitch better than they have in recent weeks to go into the playoffs with a credible bullpen. I don't think it will be a shutdown bullpen but it might be enough to win four games.