A dream comes true and the feeling will last forever.

Roy Firestone

Actually, he had three good at bats. Rooting for him as I do for all Orioles whether they have a special fan club or not. Coby may not reach Gunnar Level in th field, but I'm betting he eventually reaches it at the plate. Let's beat Boston now!!!!!!

Roy paints a beautiful picture of a kid's first major league hit and we have a poster try to crap on it. In my opinion, that is rude and immature. I don't give down votes - this is my down vote to anyone who wants to take this particular OP to continue their negative take on an Oriole trying to establish himself. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

The emperor has no clothes, it seems.

I want the team to make the playoffs, and do well in the playoffs. I see Mayo as being an impediment to that.

That’s not the point.  

I think 99% of Orioles fans think Mayo has been disappointing to this point.  But that has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.  This thread was written by someone who knows the Mayo family personally, talking about how getting his first major league hit fulfills a lifelong dream.  Whether he’s been disappointing to this point is utterly irrelevant to that.   I’m amazed you don’t appreciate that. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s not the point.  

I think 99% of Orioles fans think Mayo has been disappointing to this point.  But that has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.  This thread was written by someone who knows the Mayo family personally, talking about how getting his first major league hit fulfills a lifelong dream.  Whether he’s been disappointing to this point is utterly irrelevant to that.   I’m amazed you don’t appreciate that. 

It's also not just that, it's the fact that 1-15 can even be described as anything at all, much less a "disappointment". It's beyond a small sample - it tells us almost nothing. Sure we all wish he came right up and clobbered the ball, but almost no one does that. Even Westburg didn't hit for power, despite his decent batting average last year. 

Adley has a 4-40 this season. Jackson had a 1-34. 

What are we even talking about with a 1-15? Let's call a nonsense take for what it is. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

I want the team to make the playoffs, and do well in the playoffs. I see Mayo as being an impediment to that.

You have no clue.   It’s winter somewhere.  Go back in your hole.

26 minutes ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

It's already been said, but: you don't know ball.

Here we go again. All too often on here recently. Where are the moderators? READ AND FOLLOW THE BOARD RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a totally unnecessary bent to this particular OP. I am embarrassed for this site when this is allowed to happen. A site in memory of Weams. Remember?

• Downvote 1

I dont think the guy raining on the parade has any clue how hard this game is and how much people can struggle at first.  Getting your first major league hit is always a major mile stone.  And now Mayo might just settle down and hit like he has in the minors.  Kids often press till the first ball drops in.  

I bet Mayo hits his first homerun soon and takes off for a while.  

Some people just have a hard time with joy.

Congrats to Coby for the first of many major league hits that he has ahead of him.

I personally always enjoy a first major league hit or an out for a pitcher. Good for them for making their dreams comes true. no matter what happens from there on out, they can always say they were a major league baseball player.

Mayo is going to be able to say a lot more when it's all said and done.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Here we go again. All too often on here recently. Where are the moderators? READ AND FOLLOW THE BOARD RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a totally unnecessary bent to this particular OP. I am embarrassed for this site when this is allowed to happen. A site in memory of Weams. Remember?

Why are you "embarrassed for this site?" Instead of bashing the moderation, maybe do your part and report offending posts so the moderators see it quicker. Do you think we sit here all day and monitor every post? do you think we see every post that breaks rules and we just allow them to go?

Your comment here is just as bad as the offending poster in this thread. 

4 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

Tony and all. I admit I was frustrated and wrong with the way I reacted to the way this beautiful thread Roy started was going. For that I apologize to anyone I offended.  

No problem, thank you for saying that. Now back to the original reason for the thread.

Now I'm ready for Coby's first massive homer!

• Upvote 1