Orioles, Matt Bowman Agree To Minor League Deal

oriolediehard

6 hours ago, survivedc said:

The pitch to Judge was not good, and really no pitch to Judge is good if it’s the 5th or 6th pitch with mediocre stuff. But yeah, the problem was the other batters, you can’t face Judge as the 5th batter of the inning, that’s a recipe for failure.

I was literally calculating before the inning started whether a Judge homer could tie or win the game.  Fortunately, our lead was just big enough where that couldn’t happen.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was literally calculating before the inning started whether a Judge homer could tie or win the game.  Fortunately, our lead was just big enough where that couldn’t happen.  

It is amazing that this season, there is one player who is having a MORE incredible season than Judge(fortunately he’s in the NL) And no steroids, either..amazing.

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

It is amazing that this season, there is one player who is having a MORE incredible season than Judge(fortunately he’s in the NL) And no steroids, either..amazing.

Depends how much value you put on stolen bases.   Judge has been better than Ohtani by every other offensive measure, including overall metrics that take baserunning into account.  Ohtani’s feat is unique, but not necessarily more incredible.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depends how much value you put on stolen bases.   Judge has been better than Ohtani by every other offensive measure, including overall metrics that take baserunning into account.  Ohtani’s feat is unique, but not necessarily more incredible.  

Ohtani is recovering from TJ surgery at the same time.

I give extra incredible points for that.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ohtani is recovering from TJ surgery at the same time.

I give extra incredible points for that.

I agree he should get some extra credit there.   But have been other guys who’ve batted all year after having TJ and done well, like Bryce Harper.  I don’t think TJ recovery really inhibits hitting after a few months of rest and recovery.   So, I don’t add too much to Ohtani’s column.   Anyway, both players are having amazing seasons.  Too bad they play for the Yankees and Dodgers or I’d appreciate it a lot more.  

They only need 11 pitchers for a playoff series…a 12th really isn’t needed..at least the WC round (need one less starter).

The guy I wonder about is Povich. Would they put him on the playoff roster to pitch out of the pen, something he hasn’t really done before?

28 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

How do you know there is no steroid or PED involved?  

Are we really supposed to believe the entire history of the sport is littered with PED usage but not now?

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How do you know there is no steroid or PED involved?  

Are we really supposed to believe the entire history of the sport is littered with PED usage but not now?

In the absence of evidence, you’ve got to give him the benefit of the doubt. But anecdotally, there has been not even a hint of accusation that judge is playing “under the influence.“
I am very happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus, the guy is 6 foot eight or 6 foot nine and we have seen smaller full-grown oak trees.

But it is very wrong to assume that he is juicing without any meaningful evidence.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They only need 11 pitchers for a playoff series…a 12th really isn’t needed..at least the WC round (need one less starter).

The guy I wonder about is Povich. Would they put him on the playoff roster to pitch out of the pen, something he hasn’t really done before?

I went back and looked and I think last year it varied from 11-13 per team. TEX had 13. Most had 12. Have to see.  

3 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

In the absence of evidence, you’ve got to give him the benefit of the doubt. But anecdotally, there has been not even a hint of accusation that judge is playing “under the influence.“
I am very happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus, the guy is 6 foot eight or 6 foot nine and we have seen smaller full-grown oak trees.

But it is very wrong to assume that he is juicing without any meaningful evidence.

I think there is a huge difference between not assuming he's clean and assuming he's juicing.

I'm not making any assumptions about the topic.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I'll tell ya, we have to marvel at how good Judge and Ohtani are. I thought Judge would be a risky contract because he was hitting 30 and so big, but he's just a beast. That's why its hard to be too tough on Bowman for his performance last night. not having your best stuff and having to face Judge is a not good situation to be in for any pitcher.

9 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I agree there isn’t any evidence.  But you said “no steroids either”

You don’t know that.  You are saying that as if that’s a fact but you don’t know that is one.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree there isn’t any evidence.  But you said “no steroids either”

You don’t know that.  You are saying that as if that’s a fact but you don’t know that is one.

Yes, I said that, and what’s wrong with that? Would you prefer I say, “we have no evidence he using steroids”?

Does it matter?

No. I’m not going to make an assumption that he MIGHT be. That leads to a lifetime of suspecting everybody in every thing, because anybody COULD be doing evil.

In the absence of any evidence, I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt, as should you.