Worst bullpen in O’s history?

Wavetrapper

Admittedly, my Orioles history has holes in it.  Began in 1966 (good time, eh).  Some moves to areas where it was pretty impossible to follow them (pre internet).  Loss of interest in many of the dark Angelos years when there was no interest in the organization to win, or try.  

I am just amazed at how terrible this bullpen is night after night.  No lead is big enough not to blow.  Literally no one that can be trusted in nearly every situation.  So many walks, down in the count, HBP, wild pitches, so few clean innings.   It’s like the slump that never ends. What are the odds of assembling a group like this?

Is this the worst bullpen in Orioles history?  

I’m not talking about ERA.  I’m talking about blowing games, giving runs  right back, turning decent leads into nail biters etc.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

Admittedly, my Orioles history has holes in it.  Began in 1966 (good time, eh).  Some moves to areas where it was pretty impossible to follow them (pre internet).  Loss of interest in many of the dark Angelos years when there was no interest in the organization to win, or try.  

I am just amazed at how terrible this bullpen is night after night.  No lead is big enough not to blow.  Literally no one that can be trusted in nearly every situation.  So many walks, down in the count, HBP, wild pitches, so few clean innings.   It’s like the slump that never ends. What are the odds of assembling a group like this?

Is this the worst bullpen in Orioles history?  

I’m not talking about ERA.  I’m talking about blowing games, giving runs  right back, turning decent leads into nail biters etc.  

If you have a team that doesn't have many leads the bullpen won't blow many games.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

This may be the worst pen for a contender. Obviously a much different sport in the late 70’s. The 96/97 pens were better. 89 and early 90’s were better. Clearly last year. Obviously 2012-16 were superior. 

I'm sure there were several bullpens in the 14 straight years of losing that were worse.  I mean when one of your bullpen guys is nicknamed Flat Breezy it's not a good thing.  Seems like those bullpens were full of Burch Smith/Selby type guys with marginal arms that were only good when there were on.

24 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This may be the worst pen for a contender. Obviously a much different sport in the late 70’s. The 96/97 pens were better. 89 and early 90’s were better. Clearly last year. Obviously 2012-16 were superior. 

The 2012-2016 BP’s were definitely superior, but I don’t know if they would look that different if you take out O’Day and Brach. Coulombe has been worth 1.9 WAR as an Oriole in 77 innings. O’Day was worth 1.8 WAR in 65 innings in his best season (1.4. 0.7, 0.9 from 2012-2014 in 62-69 innings). Webb has a 3.14 ERA and has been worth 0.9 WAR as an Oriole. Beach had a 2.61 ERA was worth 2.8 WAR in almost exactly 3x the innings (220). 

There’s obviously Bautista too (which Elias didn’t plan accordingly for) but the Coulombe and Webb injuries are hurting bad. 

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

The 2012-2016 BP’s were definitely superior, but I don’t know if they would look that different if you take out O’Day and Brach. Coulombe has been worth 1.9 WAR as an Oriole in 77 innings. O’Day was worth 1.8 WAR in 65 innings in his best season (1.4. 0.7, 0.9 from 2012-2014 in 62-69 innings). Webb has a 3.14 ERA and has been worth 0.9 WAR as an Oriole. Beach had a 2.61 ERA was worth 2.8 WAR in almost exactly 3x the innings (220). 

There’s obviously Bautista too (which Elias didn’t plan accordingly for) but the Coulombe and Webb injuries are hurting bad. 

Clearly health is playing a role. They knew before year about Felix though. 

Kimbrel is in a big time slump. The Coloumbe injury even in Orioles land may have been underrated. 

Every year in baseball the pen takes on a bigger role. 

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Clearly health is playing a role. They knew before year about Felix though. 

Kimbrel is in a big time slump. The Coloumbe injury even in Orioles land may have been underrated. 

Every year in baseball the pen takes on a bigger role. 

For sure. Out of RP’s the last 2 years with more than 70 IP, Coulombe is tired for 23rd in WAR, 22nd in ERA, 13th in FIP, and 23rd in xFIP. He also doesn’t have major platoon splits, unlike Cano and Domínguez, which is extremely important.