Thought Trembley Wanted To Extend Pitchers?

GnatsFan

Uehara hasn't been a regular starter for a while and he's coming from a country where starters tend to start on 5 days rest, not 4.

There's absolutely, positively no way he is going to start on 3 days rest.

The Sunday starter will be Eaton. The only other possibility is someone from the bullpen. But I'm 95% certain it will be Eaton.

The way Bass is getting lit up today, I am sure he will be the one DFA'ed for Eaton.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem isn't just the starters though.

Baez could easily have gone the extra inning last night, especially after the attempts to turn him back into a starter this spring, but Trembley gave a cop-out answer to why he was pulled like, "Things start over when the regular season starts."

You know how you stretch out pitchers? By stretching them out! Hell, Simon came out to start the sixth today, and was pulled after one batter at 89 pitches.

Baez could easily have gone the extra inning last night, especially after the attempts to turn him back into a starter this spring, but Trembley gave a cop-out answer to why he was pulled like, "Things start over when the regular season starts."

You know how you stretch out pitchers? By stretching them out! Hell, Simon came out to start the sixth today, and was pulled after one batter at 89 pitches.

Exactly and while it may sound harsh, Simon is fodder. Bergesen could take his spot if need be, so we shouldn't care what happens to him...

If he's pitching well, leave him in...

I have to say when your guy has his game on, play him. Taking him out for someone else believing that same level of performance will simply be there next time isn't wise and often not true. Baez should have finished the game if possible.

Exactly! He came out to start the 6th. Are we to believe:

A) Trembley said, "Hey Simon, go out in the 6th and after 1 batter I'm pulling you so as to not wear you out"

or

B) Trembley wet himself when Simon gave up the first hit and pulled him?

Why didn't Trembley start Bass for the 6th? Did he really want Simon to get an extra 5 pitches or whatever it was before calling his day over? All the pieces to this puzzle don't fit. :scratchchinhmm:

Simon looked pretty bad against T-Bag. He could not get his change any lower than eye level and had to groove a few fastballs to get the ball over the plate.

That being said, I would have let him try to get through it for another batter. Like others have said, either don't send him out there at all, or be prepared to let him work things out for a few more pitches.

While Simon had a relatively uneventful fifth inning, things had gone south very quickly in the fourth. Perhaps Trembley was looking to avert having another fourth-inning situation in the sixth.

Before I turned the game off, I thought Bass was pitching pretty well, but in some hard luck. And the wheels came off with the throwing error.

Despite how it turned out, I can't blame Trembley for hooking Simon in a high-leverage situation that was looking somewhat similar to what happened in the fourth.

I have to say when your guy has his game on, play him. Taking him out for someone else believing that same level of performance will simply be there next time isn't wise and often not true. Baez should have finished the game if possible.

Or to put it another way --If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

"I thought it was a good time to get Bass in the game," he replied. "I thought Simon was teetering. He did a great job getting us to that point. He was basically a one-pitch guy and after they hit the ball out of the ballpark a couple times against him, I didn't want to see them get some multiple hits against him right there because he left on a decent note. It was a good time to get Bass in. - Trembley

So much for the "its just the first start of the season theory"? Just sounds like a, "Let's go burn through that bullpen" quote.

Teetering?

How so..? Was it his terrible 9 pitch 5th inning? I mean the 4th inning was a Tex homerun (Tex is good) and a Swisher homerun on a pretty good 3-2 pitch that barely cleared the wall. The 6th consisted of Simon missing with 3 changeups was it? (his what? 4th best pitch)..and then Tex hitting a single to right field on a 94 MPH fastball.. and that means he was teetering? Trembley is a premature yanker... we finally get a somewhat decent start and we still have bullpen arms coming in in the 6th with 0 outs.

All three could have been kept in longer. But Uehara was pulled I believe because he wanted to guarentee the series win. In that extra inning he could have pulled them if they struggled. As the season progresses, time will tell if he will honor what he said.

This discussion about pulling Simon and inserting Bass (and then, Albers, and then, Ray) wouldn't be happening if Bass wouldn't have thrown the ball away on the comebacker to the mound.

Simon was decent enough but New York started to pick him apart the second and third time through the lineup. He used his slider well in the first and second inning...then stopped throwing it for some reason thereafter.

I was a little puzzled when they pulled him after Tex's hit in the 6th, but the fact is the move would have been a non-factor if Bass doesn't make that throwing gaffe that opened the flood gates. A 4-2 game is a single and home run away from being tied at 4-4. 7-2 is rout in progress.

Bass's error changed the game.

I sort of assumed Trembley would leave him in there as the game's sacrificial lamb, but putting Albers and Ray in the game (both of whom need work more than anyone else on the staff, arguably) when nothing is at stake was a move a lot of managers would have made.

By the way, Huff's strikeout with the bases loaded in the 3rd was also a pivotal part of the game. A big hit by Huff and the game gets whacked wide open.

That 3-1 pitch and 3-2 strikeout pitch by Burnett are why he got $15 million a year. Big time pitches there.

That's the thing though... its not about whether or not the relief pitcher (in this case Bass) comes in and shuts the door... even if Bass came in and shut them down I'd still be perturbed... its more of a why unnecessarily burden the bullpen when the guy who pitches only once every 5th day has more in the tank. Save the bullpen until its actually needed (which it will be) and we won't have to worry about their arms falling off by July. Trembley just seems to have this habit of overusing the bullpen...

I still haven't forgiven him for what he did to Waters in his MLB debut... what kind of sick human being does that? I remember it clearly, "Trembley any thoughts about bringing Waters out for the 9th [Waters retired 14 of last 15 and only 103 pitches]". Trembley says, "No not at all. It was an easy call". :rolleyes:

Archived