Photo of annoyed Elias, please?

HowAboutThat

During tonight‘s game, there was a video shot of Mike Elias looking angry or annoyed or frustrated or something like that, and there was some mention of it in the game thread. I was not able to see the game because I am in a blacked out area and I am wondering if anybody made a screenshot of that scene and could share it?

I have never seen Elias show any negative emotion whatsoever. He’s always been smiling and confident that he was the smartest guy in the room and he probably is. I was interested in seeing a photo of his darker side.

52 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Well, when your ace goes out and throws 3 out of 4 pretty poor performances, especially when your team needs you to step up, you may have this look.

And you have 4 other starters and 3 other relievers on the IL, some until at least late 2025 (probably missing someone), it tends to get you down.

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

Well, when your ace goes out and throws 3 out of 4 pretty poor performances, especially when your team needs you to step up, you may have this look.

This. 

I don't know what is up with Burnes but the man is coming up pretty small when this team needed him to be the ace they thought they had. 

I don't know if he's just going through a bad spell, there's something wrong, or he's wilting a bit under the pressure of the situation, but it's extremely disappointing how poorly he's pitched of late.

Of course maybe this pitiful lineup of late that is full of guys he drafted and developed is not sitting well.

It's just a tough time for all involved. Sure, the injuries have mounted, but good teams and organizations have the depth to overcome them. He traded away some of that depth for guys who are not helping very much.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This. 

I don't know what is up with Burnes but the man is coming up pretty small when this team needed him to be the ace they thought they had. 

I don't know if he's just going through a bad spell, there's something wrong, or he's wilting a bit under the pressure of the situation, but it's extremely disappointing how poorly he's pitched of late.

Of course maybe this pitiful lineup of late that is full of guys he drafted and developed is not sitting well.

It's just a tough time for all involved. Sure, the injuries have mounted, but good teams and organizations have the depth to overcome them. He traded away some of that depth for guys who are not helping very much.

Your last paragraph.   I disagree.   Very few, if any, of the players we traded away, with the possible exception of Norby, would be helping now.   The Dodgers, the deepest, most expensive team in baseball, had to plug in untested rookies and DFA’s into their pitching staff.   The Braves might miss the playoffs.   The Rangers will miss the playoffs.    These teams are seen as good organizations, with a lot more money invested in current payroll, and didn’t have the depth to overcome injury and poor performance.

Elias has definitely made some missteps but we are a good organization with a good young core and tons of payroll flexibility heading into next year whether we make the playoffs or not this year.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

And you have 4 other starters and 3 other relievers on the IL, some until at least late 2025 (probably missing someone), it tends to get you down.

Agreed.   The combination of a bad stretch for Burnes and the lack of viable starters/relievers is killing them (and Elias).   Not much you can do when you've lost a large portion of your pitching staff.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Your last paragraph.   I disagree.   Very few, if any, of the players we traded away, with the possible exception of Norby, would be helping now.   The Dodgers, the deepest, most expensive team in baseball, had to plug in untested rookies and DFA’s into their pitching staff.   The Braves might miss the playoffs.   The Rangers will miss the playoffs.    These teams are seen as good organizations, with a lot more money invested in current payroll, and didn’t have the depth to overcome injury and poor performance.

Elias has definitely made some missteps but we are a good organization with a good young core and tons of payroll flexibility heading into next year whether we make the playoffs or not this year.

I never said the team will not be good next year or even this year, I'm saying the Orioles did not have the depth, particularly the pitching depth, to overcome their injuries. And yes, I'm going to continue to harp on Elias' draft strategy of ignoring pitching with his higher draft picks. 

The Dodgers are in first place and have a bullpen that looks like this:

image.thumb.png.def6d6ac9b6fc8ce210ae02e730ea78a.png

Atlanta may not win their Division, but they'll make the playoffs and don't count them out when they're in there.

The Orioles have not played well for sometime now and seemingly are getting beat up by the better teams. Barring an absolute crash, they're going to still make the playoffs because of the start they had to the season when they looked like one of the best Orioles teams of all-time.

And yes, I do think Norby could be helping this team and he was traded away for a pitcher who I would have NP'd if I saw him pitching in AA somewhere. Now maybe Rogers can be "fixed" this offseason, or maybe he'll still be able to help at some point this season, but if you are going to trade away guys who could help, you need to make sure you get back guys who are going to help you now.

• Upvote 1