D Hernandez 4/12 - Durham Bulls

orioole28

Wieters with a single. Now I can sleep. Runners on 1st and 2nd. Montanez preceded the Wieters single with a single of his own.

And Costanzo plays for the second time in three games I believe. Not being punished for his criticism of the spring facilities? :scratchchinhmm:

I don't think anyone ever alleged the Orioles would stifle a player's development for being critical. The point with Arrieta - and it's speculative at best - is that it's possible that the Orioles viewed Arrieta's time in the MLB camp as a reward (but a gratuitous reward). Thus, limiting his time after the blog entry would be a non-stifling gesture.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hernandez would make a great long man/fifth starter. He and Bergesen should find their way to Baltimore sooner than later...

I think one of them has got to get the next start in the #5 spot, assuming Rich Hill isn't ready. Is Bergesen the more seasoned of the two?

I don't think anyone ever alleged the Orioles would stifle a player's development for being critical. The point with Arrieta - and it's speculative at best - is that it's possible that the Orioles viewed Arrieta's time in the MLB camp as a reward (but a gratuitous reward). Thus, limiting his time after the blog entry would be a non-stifling gesture.

I hear you. Someone threw out the prospect of Costanzo actually being benched for his criticisms - something that would admittedly stifle his development - and I didn't think it was such a far-fetched idea at the time. Looks like it's not happening, which obviously is a good thing.

Yeah, a great 5th starter. Another starter that can't make it through the 5th inning.

Well, to be fair, he was on a 75 pitch count. He wasn't that bad with his economy. A few too many pitches that last inning. But he was using three pitches. His velocity was still strong in the fifth, so stamina wasn't the issue.

I think one of them has got to get the next start in the #5 spot, assuming Rich Hill isn't ready. Is Bergesen the more seasoned of the two?

They're about equally seasoned, but I would give the nod to Bergesen, because he's much more likely to 6 plus solid innings, imo.

Eaton is going to at least get one more start, folks.

Looking at the schedule, Eaton would go on the 21st and 26th if DT let's everyone else go on minimum 4 days rest. That might be a big IF, but we could not see Eaton for another 9 days potentially.

Hernandez would make a great long man/fifth starter. He and Bergesen should find their way to Baltimore sooner than later...

Why put such a label on DH?

He struck out about 2 batters per IP and someone is ready to proclaim him a long reliever. :rolleyes:

Why put such a label on DH?

He struck out about 2 batters per IP and someone is ready to proclaim him a long reliever. :rolleyes:

Because he's had trouble his entire career going deep into games.

He's certainly got the stuff to make it as a starter, the question will be can he build up the stamina or whatever it is that allows starters to go 7+ innings every time (pending effectiveness).

Obviously you leave him as a starter and hope he can figure out whatever he needs to figure out. You only change him to a reliever once you are convinced he won't make it as a starter. Very similar to what the O's have done with Radhammes Liz. They gave him a ton of chances to make it as a starter before switching him. They'll do the same with Hernandez, and hopefully he'll have better results as a starter than Liz did. I think both will make electric relievers, if things don't work out as starters.

Because he's had trouble his entire career going deep into games.

He's certainly got the stuff to make it as a starter, the question will be can he build up the stamina or whatever it is that allows starters to go 7+ innings every time (pending effectiveness).

Obviously you leave him as a starter and hope he can figure out whatever he needs to figure out. You only change him to a reliever once you are convinced he won't make it as a starter. Very similar to what the O's have done with Radhammes Liz. They gave him a ton of chances to make it as a starter before switching him. They'll do the same with Hernandez, and hopefully he'll have better results as a starter than Liz did. I think both will make electric relievers, if things don't work out as starters.

There are some pretty substantial differences between the two. Most importantly, the fact that DH repeats his delivery well and has no real hint of the mechanical issues that Liz does.

And stamina didn't look to be the problem - he was still very strong in the 5th. Just on the pitch count. Economy is the key. Right now, though, he looks like he could be the kind of guy who - on a 100 pitches - can get through 7 innings. But his control/command makes him no sure thing as a starter.

His slider looked very very good, though.

A little trouble in the fifth. A walk and a hit to start the inning.

Froze the batter with a 2-2 slider for his 9th K.

Still working at 92-94 MPH.

Not a single ground ball in the game.

His change has been a bit high all the game. He's at 74 pitches right now, so...he's likely done.

Strange play with runners on 1st and 2nd - fly ball to Reimold, which he juggled three times then caught.

Umps let the runners move up without tagging (for some reason).

Now 2 outs. Runners on 2nd and 3rd. Liz in for DH.

So long as the runner was on the base the firs time Reimold touched the ball, he's fine (this is the rule to prevent OF's tapping to themselves to throw off the runners' tagging).

Archived