Harry Kalas Dead

Flip217

Mods, maybe you can change the title of this thread to eliminate the question mark; I was hearing it from friends but hadn't found confirmation when I posted it. Guess I should have waited.

Here's a link:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20090413_Phils_announcer_Harry_Kalas_rushed_to_the_hospital.html

They're saying the game against the Nationals will still be played today, which is what Harry would have wanted, I'm sure.

The Extra Innings package offered separate feeds of the Phillies/Braves game last week. I chose to watch the Phillies broadcast only because I heard Kalas' voice as soon as I turned it on. His way of taking a baseball game and transforming it into a story is the reason I still, to this day, romanticize over baseball radio broadcasts. Guys like Thompson, Kalas, Harwell and Scully need to live forever. It's a shame. It really is.

When I was a kid and we first got cable, we got some Philly channel and for whatever reason they showed a ton of Phillies games. I saw more Phillies games than Orioles games as a child.

Anyway, I used to love listening to Kalas talk about guys like Von Hayes, Juan Samuel, Kevin Gross, and of course, Mike Schmidt.

Tough loss for all of baseball.

I am listening to the Phillies broadcast, and it has to be incredibly hard to do today's game. I don't know if I can keep listening.

They just had a moment of silence in Washington before the game, and in the silence a fan yelled "We love you Harry."

"You better tell me everything you know about Daniel Cabrera. Now." one announcer, right before he was obviously about to burst into tears.

"I can't tell you much."

I chuckled....but it's a very sad day.

Its great that he got to call the victory for the Phillies in the World Series last year. Hes one of those guys that you just sort of think will live forever, I know not really, but it just seems that way. I grew up listening to Vin Scully, and I feel that way about him. Some people just bring something so special to the game that they become far bigger than just an announcer. I'm not a Philly fan but most of my friends are, and to them he always was the voice of baseball.

Archived