Roch Article-Wieters

Ripken23

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So does it make us a good organization if we drafted Weiters and then let him slide because Boras did what we knew Boras would do?

Bottom line, you don't draft a guy like Weiters unless you know you can sign him.

Exactly. If you marry a woman who used to be a prostitue, and she has an affair with your best friend, whose fault is it? If the O's weren't gonna sign him, they shouldn't have drafted him. If this deal doesn't get done, it may be the final straw for me!

He's a switch hitter too and both went to GTech.

He's supposed to have a higher ceiling than that though. I agree, you don't back up the brinks truck for another Tek.

If signed, wouldn't he also arguably be the best position prospect in the Orioles system?

Not to mention dumping the salaries of Gomez and Parrish wouldn't make sense unless we were saving money for something...

If those deals had anything at all to do with freeing up money for draft bonuses this organization is done. It's won't matter a lick whether or not they sign Weiters. The money they saved on those two guys won't buy Paul Bako's services for two months. It's a few hundred $K at best - it's pennies in baseball terms.

This is like scraping up enough change to deposit so that your account is over the $10 minimum for an ATM withdrawl.

The draft budget and those deals are independent, or the Orioles are finished as an organization.

If those deals had anything at all to do with freeing up money for draft bonuses this organization is done. It's won't matter a lick whether or not they sign Weiters. The money they saved on those two guys won't buy Paul Bako's services for two months. It's a few hundred $K at best - it's pennies in baseball terms.

This is like scraping up enough change to deposit so that your account is over the $10 minimum for an ATM withdrawl.

The draft budget and those deals are independent, or the Orioles are finished as an organization.

Lol, I actually knew a kid in college that did that! He deposited .18 in the overnight depository so his balance was $20.04 and took out the $20. Hilarious.

Yes. Weiters or Rowell, and he'd be about 3-4 levels closer to the majors.

Then IMO he IS a once in a decade player, at least for our organization's last decade.

The Orioles must know this. Unfortunately, Boras knows this, and Wieters knows this. Doesn't help the team's negotiating position at all.

If signed, wouldn't he also arguably be the best position prospect in the Orioles system?

He!! yeah. I'm just trying to explain where the Tek comparison comes from. Mainly that they are swirch hitter s from the same college. Wieters is supposed to be a great hitter though...maybe the best in the whole draft.

Some were hoping that Wieters would be signed early and would be in the majors by 9/1 like Zimmerman was for the Nats.

I'm not real familiar with how the agent-player negotiations work, if Weiters really wants to be an Oriole and not have to wait another year, can't he pressure Boras into getting a deal done?

Boras (who is techinically Wieters 'advisor' since a college guy can't have an agent) probably convinces MW of what's best for him. MW and SB probably worked out the parameters of what they were looking for when they agreed to work together.

The same was said for SB and the Orioles, but the hiring of MacPhail may have changed that.

Archived