G Rod in the pen (Update: Shut down for season, will not return for playoffs)

Big Al

24 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

How much total time as he missed since originally being called up? Has he pretty much come close to missing almost a year of service time to injury?

He has made 43 starts over 2 seasons. A full season worth of starts is 32-33, so he has missed about 2/3rds of a season worth of starts due to injury.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IllinoisOsFan said:

Definitely not a workhorse.

Sadly can't even post for a showhorse gig his teammates set him up for.

Small comfort it sounds non-surgical again at least...we'll try again next year.

Will he stay around the ballclub however many weeks are left?

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

He has made 43 starts over 2 seasons. A full season worth of starts is 32-33, so he has missed about 2/3rds of a season worth of starts due to injury.

No, he missed no time last year due to injury.  He was sent down for ineffectiveness and made 8 starts in AAA in addition to the 23 he made in the majors.   

• Upvote 1

Question for anyone who might have some more advanced pitching knowledge:

I have seen different people write or talk about how his pitching mechanics are the reason behind this injury and have seen people speculate that it will lead to more injuries in the future. 

Is this something that can be fixed in an offseason / spring training? Or is this like an it is what it is situation the old dog isn’t learning any new tricks?

• Tony-OH changed the title to G Rod in the pen (Update: Shut down for season, will not return for playoffs)

I think we've seen a couple of things with Grayson now. One, he is a guy who has some injury concerns at this point because he's been unable to complete a full season since coming to the big leagues.

Two, he's not a quick healer. Lat injuries are tricky for pitchers, but what we know is that he's not a guy that heals quickly and get it back going. Last time he had the injury he missed significant time than was very rusty for awhile until he refound his mechanics.

I'm not a mechanics expert, but I know there are guys who have questioned his mechanics coming up through the minors. I don't know if his mechanics have contributed to his injuries or not, but I do know that it's hard to count on him for 30+ starts a season and that could become a concern next season if he has another injury.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think we've seen a couple of things with Grayson now. One, he is a guy who has some injury concerns at this point because he's been unable to complete a full season since coming to the big leagues.

Two, he's not a quick healer. Lat injuries are tricky for pitchers, but what we know is that he's not a guy that heals quickly and get it back going. Last time he had the injury he missed significant time than was very rusty for awhile until he refound his mechanics.

I'm not a mechanics expert, but I know there are guys who have questioned his mechanics coming up through the minors. I don't know if his mechanics have contributed to his injuries or not, but I do know that it's hard to count on him for 30+ starts a season and that could become a concern next season if he has another injury.

Stuff is really good, when he's healthy.

Slots in as a solid #2, when he's healthy.

Has the upside of an ace, when he's healthy.

Can dominate even a good lineup, when he's healthy.

So when is he going to be healthy? These are not elbow or shoulder injuries we are talking about. Why is this happening to him and how can it be addressed? The answer to these questions has to be a major priority for this organization in the off season. His potential value is enormous to the team before he becomes expensive.

If I am in his shoes right now I'm looking at my entire strength and conditioning program and asking what I have to do to stay healthy, and most importantly, successfully recover start to start. If he puts it together in the next couple of years he's due for a major payday when he hits FA. If he doesn't figure out how to stay on the mound he's leaving a boat load of money on the table.