DH - O'Hearn v. Kjerstad

Just Regular

I think we have our view of all the important Bats outcomes entering the 2024 playoffs.    This seems like it may be Hyde and the org's biggest daily decision in one go with Corbin Burnes.

Competing with Gerrit Cole tonight is as good as a dress rehearsal gets.

Who you got?

Defense and pedigree, I am lightly regarding Ryan Mountcastle as the everyday 1B here.

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think we have our view of all the important Bats outcomes entering the 2024 playoffs.    This seems like it may be Hyde and the org's biggest daily decision in one go with Corbin Burnes.

Competing with Gerrit Cole tonight is as good as a dress rehearsal gets.

Who you got?

Defense and pedigree, I am lightly regarding Ryan Mountcastle as the everyday 1B here.

Honestly, I’d rather have McCann catch Burnes and DH Adley. Heck, maybe the same for Eflin too. Adley’s pitch receiving has been terrible. In the playoffs, you need all the close calls you can get. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Honestly, I’d rather have McCann catch Burnes and DH Adley. Heck, maybe the same for Eflin too. Adley’s pitch receiving has been terrible. In the playoffs, you need all the close calls you can get. 

Adley has been bad, he's 45th on this list.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/catcher_framing?year=2024&team=&min=q&type=catcher&sort=4,1

Let's see where McCann is at....

Oh, he's 50th.

Just now, Frobby said:

If you buy the Statcast metrics, Adley is -4 framing runs, McCann is -5 in fewer games.   How is McCann an upgrade?   Meanwhile, Adley is +11 blocking while McCann is -5.  Adley is +1 throwing and McCann is -1.  

Dangit, beaten to the punch!

1 hour ago, dzorange said:

I don’t know why we wouldn’t expect Hyde to platoon O’Hearn with whoever.

Agreed, O'Hearn starts at 1B vs RHP, Mountcastle pinch hits at first opportunity and/or subs for defense with the lead. (If O'Hearn struggles, pivot to RMC for a reset). Current A-team lineup vs RHP something like this:

SS Gunnar

2B Westburg

RF Santander

DH Kjerstad

C Adley

LF Cowser

1B O'Hearn

3B Urias

CF Mullins

Mountcastle may still get in the lineup to keep giving Adley rest down the stretch. 

1 minute ago, TommyPickles said:

Is McCann's MLB career going to be over after this postseason?

I think that depends on McCann.

If he's willing to come back in a backup catcher role, making veteran backup catcher money I think he can find a job.

He's an above replacement level backup catcher, teams would be interested.

He's banked over 50M, he might not think it's worth it to come back for that.

4 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Is McCann's MLB career going to be over after this postseason?

He is worth 0.7 WAR this year so far which strikes me as likely above average for a backup catcher.  I'm sure a paycut is coming but I see no reason why he can't keep playing somewhere even if not here.  I would support bringing him back in 2025 but probably just on a 1 year deal.