Starters vs Minnesota?

Wavetrapper

28 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

I thought the same thing about claiming Irvin! LOL

Povich and Suarez Fri and Sat.. BP or Rogers/McDermott on Sunday, especially if there is nothing to play for..

As for playoff roster, no way Povich left off. It's Baker or Bowman -- after last night, I choose Bowman.. depends a lot on who the opponent in the WC round is..

So 5 left handers, I think it be 5 right handers, if they go with a9 man pen.

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd imagine if they want a spot start Rogers would be the guy.

Question though, if a guy is optioned at the end of the season, they are still available for the playoff roster, correct? I think options don't matter for the playoff roster but I'm not 100% sure.

I don’t think they matter as rosters are elgible to change after each series

In the unlikely chance that the division is still in play, should that affect the starter of choice? It'd have to depend on a Yankees loss the same day so we wouldn't be strictly playing for the division... but it would be nice to get that bye.

Assuming the Yankees have clinched the division, it seems like just a rest day and we should just call up whoever's not expected to make the WC roster.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd imagine if they want a spot start Rogers would be the guy.

Question though, if a guy is optioned at the end of the season, they are still available for the playoff roster, correct? I think options don't matter for the playoff roster but I'm not 100% sure.

I thought the same but looked into this last week and they do seem to matter.  I believe that it’s only through the regular season though and that leaving a player off a playoff series roster doesn’t count as an option.

from Major League Rule 41(a): “No player who has been assigned optionally or outright to the Minor Leagues may be named to the roster for such series or otherwise replaced under this Rule 41 unless 10 days for position players or 15 days for pitchers or “Two-Way Players” have elapsed from the most recent assignment to the Minor Leagues (or Spring Training facility), unless the player is replacing a player who, subsequent to the assignment (A) is unable to render service in such series because of a specific injury or ailment; (B) is unable to render service in such series because of the serious or severe illness or death of a player’s immediate family (e.g., spouse, parent, grandparent, sibling, child, or grandchild) or a member of such player’s spouse’s immediate family; or (C) is the father of a child whose delivery or adoption is imminent (i.e., within 48 hours of the assignment).“

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

In the unlikely chance that the division is still in play, should that affect the starter of choice? It'd have to depend on a Yankees loss the same day so we wouldn't be strictly playing for the division... but it would be nice to get that bye.

Assuming the Yankees have clinched the division, it seems like just a rest day and we should just call up whoever's not expected to make the WC roster.

Similar question….what if the win is needed on final game to get home field for WC.   

7 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

Similar question….what if the win is needed on final game to get home field for WC.   

The Tigers did win today (of course) but it is unlikely for the last game to matter. We just need to win one of the last four and that's with no help from KC or DET, I believe. 

13 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

In that case I think you have to start Kremer on Sunday.  Home field is critical.  Detroit (and KC) are bad parks for the Orioles because they suppress home runs.   If we need to go to game 3 against Detroit, I think Povich is a viable option to start because Detroit is so heavily left-handed.   

Hopefully Burnes makes this question irrelevant tonight.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

I thought the same but looked into this last week and they do seem to matter.  I believe that it’s only through the regular season though and that leaving a player off a playoff series roster doesn’t count as an option.

from Major League Rule 41(a): “No player who has been assigned optionally or outright to the Minor Leagues may be named to the roster for such series or otherwise replaced under this Rule 41 unless 10 days for position players or 15 days for pitchers or “Two-Way Players” have elapsed from the most recent assignment to the Minor Leagues (or Spring Training facility), unless the player is replacing a player who, subsequent to the assignment (A) is unable to render service in such series because of a specific injury or ailment; (B) is unable to render service in such series because of the serious or severe illness or death of a player’s immediate family (e.g., spouse, parent, grandparent, sibling, child, or grandchild) or a member of such player’s spouse’s immediate family; or (C) is the father of a child whose delivery or adoption is imminent (i.e., within 48 hours of the assignment).“

Hmm, well that could make optioning someone more of an issue then. Now if the Orioles don't think Povich will pitch for them in the playoffs, then perhaps he would be optioned. I still like Povich coming if say one of the starters were knocked out early because he's opposite handed and may be able to save the pen by eating multiple innings.

21 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

I thought the same thing about claiming Irvin! LOL

Povich and Suarez Fri and Sat.. BP or Rogers/McDermott on Sunday, especially if there is nothing to play for..

As for playoff roster, no way Povich left off. It's Baker or Bowman -- after last night, I choose Bowman.. depends a lot on who the opponent in the WC round is..

So It's 13 pitchers for the Wild card round? What position player are you dropping?

Really would be nice to win tonight OR have DET lose so then they can play around Sat/Sun when the games would have no bearing on the seeding. Dont want this to come down to Sunday and having to win to get the 4 seed or then there will be some tough decisions that have to be made.

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

Povich is off vs Detroit at least. Even if they carry a 9 man pen, Doubt that 5 will be left handers

Why carry four 1 inning guys over a LH long option?

Cionel stinks and should not be on the roster over Povich when you still have Akin, Coulombe and Soto.