Orioles vs Tigers/KC (Wild Card series)

Tony-OH

This is being discussed in various threads but thought it makes sense to just get the conversation going for the Wild Card Series. 

Barring a meltdown and either the Tigers or KC not losing out, the Orioles are pretty well locked into the #1 wildcard seed now so they will get three home games starting on Tuesday, October 1st. Their last game is Sunday against the Twins. 

I'd imagine that Eflin gets game game one and Burnes gets game two since you probably don't want to give Eflin 7 days off between starts, and Burnes has pitched really well this year on 6 days rest. 

Game 3 is probably going to be Kremer, but he'll be on a short leash. 

So who would you rather see us play? 

Do you think they'll push Eflin back to 7-days rest and let Burnes pitch game #1?

Does Bowman make the playoff roster or do they bring up McDermott?

• Upvote 2

I swore after 2014 I would never root one way or the other for an opponent again. I felt good for KC when they won the WC game vs OAK. Then after beating ANA they beat us. 

That said I think KC would be a better matchup. Witt is a star but lineup can be pitched to. They do have solid rotation. DET bullpen worries me. It feels like they are all throwing well. They are playing hot and getting the breaks that come along with it. 

I think Bowman is 50/50. I guess they keep Eflin game 1. That said not 100% sure. 

I think it would only be six days rest for Eflin if Burnes goes G1. Either 4 days for Burnes/6 for Eflin or 5 and 5 for each.

I don't see how you can potentially end up in a situation that costs Burnes an extra start. Doesn't he have to pitch G1? The way Eflin looked last night maybe he could use an extra couple days. 

Then again, it is odd that they are lined up Eflin-Burnes, and Eflin has been the most consistent since he has been acquired. Then again, Burnes has been lights out in his last couple starts since ditching the sinker and committing to the cutter.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I think it would only be six days rest for Eflin if Burnes goes G1. Either 4 days for Burnes/6 for Eflin or 5 and 5 for each.

I don't see how you can potentially end up in a situation that costs Burnes an extra start. Doesn't he have to pitch G1? The way Eflin looked last night maybe he could use an extra couple days. 

Then again, it is odd that they are lined up Eflin-Burnes, and Eflin has been the most consistent since he has been acquired. Then again, Burnes has been lights out in his last couple starts since ditching the sinker and committing to the cutter.

Keep in mind this. There is an off day after Game 1 of ALDS. First game is Saturday. Game 2 Monday. Then off day and two games and another off day. 

You can throw your Game 2 starter Game 5 as well. So if you wanted Burnes over Eflin next round you can do that even if he goes Game 2 next Wednesday. Still 4 days off. 

Sign me up for KC over Detroit every time and it’s not close. The only argument for Detroit is that ‘we’re due’ against them and we’re familiar with them recently, etc. I’m not buying it. Let Houston find out first hand if the late season surge is going to carry over to the post season. I just as soon watch that play out from afar, thank you. 

All this being said I’m fairly confident it will be Detroit. The schedule alone pushes it massively into their favor over KC. I think KC has the tiebreaker but I don’t think it will matter once Detroit puts the ChiSox out of their historic misery. 

10 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

There is an off day between G1 and G2 of the ALDS.   G1 is next Saturday (6th), G2 is Monday the 8th.  (Then another off day before G3 and G4 Wed & Thu, potential G5 Saturday the 12th).

So whether Burnes goes Tuesday or Wednesday, he can go in G2 of the ALDS.   And again in G5 if it is needed.

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is being discussed in various threads but thought it makes sense to just get the conversation going for the Wild Card Series. 

Barring a meltdown and either the Tigers or KC not losing out, the Orioles are pretty well locked into the #1 wildcard seed now so they will get three home games starting on Tuesday, October 1st. Their last game is Sunday against the Twins. 

I'd imagine that Eflin gets game game one and Burnes gets game two since you probably don't want to give Eflin 7 days off between starts, and Burnes has pitched really well this year on 6 days rest. 

Game 3 is probably going to be Kremer, but he'll be on a short leash. 

So who would you rather see us play? 

Do you think they'll push Eflin back to 7-days rest and let Burnes pitch game #1?

Does Bowman make the playoff roster or do they bring up McDermott?

We will mock you for this thread after we win tonight, sweep the Twins, the Pirates sweep the Yankees, and we win the division.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

We will mock you for this thread after we win tonight, sweep the Twins, the Pirates sweep the Yankees, and we win the division.

If that miracle occurs I think Tony will be more than happy to mocked. :D

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Just now, O's84 said:

If that miracle occurs I think Tony will be more than happy to mocked. :D

And if that happens, there will be plenty of way more mockable threads to look back on. 

• Upvote 1

Detroit is playing so hot right now - I don't want anything to do with them.   Solid pitching,  both starters and relievers, an elite defense,  and a line up full of guys that put the ball in play.   

Start Burnes game 1 against KC.  Pitch around Witt and knock Ragans out of the game early.

3 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Detroit is playing so hot right now - I don't want anything to do with them.   Solid pitching,  both starters and relievers, an elite defense,  and a line up full of guys that put the ball in play.   

Start Burnes game 1 against KC.  Pitch around Witt and knock Ragans out of the game early.

The Tigers have 1,426 strikeouts as a team, in 5,321 at bats.

The Orioles have 1,323 strikeouts as a team, in 5,417 at bats.

• Upvote 2