Orioles vs Tigers/KC (Wild Card series)

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

You're not cowering in fear from MOO bats Matt Vierling and Wenceel Perez? 

I'm nervous the Tigers pitching, but feel pretty good about the overall matchup because I think they just don't have a playoff caliber offense. They are going to have the highest K%, and lowest AVG, lowest OBP, and lowest SLG of any playoff team. In many cases by a wide margin. They are only good on one side of the ball and we have the ability to be good on both. 

They didn't have Kerry Carpenter or Parker Meadows for much of the year.  Different lineup with those two. 

5 hours ago, O's84 said:

Tony, do you think Elias is considering McDermott?  

I'm not Tony, but Roch just wrote this in his latest blog post:

"A “bullpen game” on Sunday isn’t ideal with a possible Game 1 two days later. A possible solution is calling up a pitcher to handle bulk innings and optioning him afterward. Trevor Rogers and Chayce McDermott fit the description and there are a few others."

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

First of all, that is not how a championship team operates.   You play to win, not tremble in fear of losing.   

Besides, aren't you on record in multiple posts, over and over again,  saying there is absolutely no way the Orioles will win a game in the postseason?   So what does strategy matter when they are trying to do the impossible.   

Hmmm I thought I said the Orioles are very good at not getting swept numerous times but that doesn't fit your narrative now does it  Now of course the Orioles could lose 2 and be eliminated but that is almost not like a sweep because to me 3 games is what really makes a sweep 

2 hours ago, turtlebowl said:

Not really that flawed.  I have thought about Eflin going game 1 because if you lose that one I would want Burns going game 2.  If you win that first game somehow then how awesome is it to have Burns next.  If you split the first 2 then you have Kremer and hopefully a rested bullpen for game 3.  

The thing about Kremer is as inconsistent as he is the man does come up big in big games. Yeah I don't want to go about this cowardly but man Skubal is something else and if the Orioles drop that game it would be nice to have Eflin and Burnes for the next 2. Not going to happen anyway. Obviously the Orioles will throw their best 2 the first 2 games 

2 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

I believe in the 6 games against Detroit, they scored 9 ER in 36.2 innings that were pitched by Burnes, Eflin, Cano, Dominguez, Coulombe, Webb, Perez, Akin, and Soto). Their 3 best hitters (Greene, Carpenter, Meadows) are all much better against RHP’s than LHP’s and their 4th best hitter (Vierking) is better against RHP’s too. 

They could easily have a LHP face the top of their order pretty much from the 5th inning on if they wanted to, with Perez, Coulombe, Soto, Akin, and potentially Povich in the pen. Webb also is better against LHP’s. Potentially making Hinch PH for Carpenter somewhat early in the game would take away by far their best hitter. 

No way I’m conceding game 1 when they’ve had just as much trouble against the Orioles better pitchers. 

I hear you and you make good points but keep in mind the Birds dropped 4 out of 6 to them and Skubal did not pitch in any of them. Also many on here are pointing out Detroit's lack of  experience but let's face it  it's not like the  Orioles are gooding with experience either. Burnes and Eflin has it and hopefully that will go a long way. 

2 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

I feel like a lot of us may have said the same thing about the 89 win 2014 Royals who played .630 ball over the last 1/3 of that season.  In hindsight, we recognize them as a very good and well balanced team.  But I don't remember anyone being that worried about them at the time heading into the postseason and I don't know that many of their players had even been in the postseason before that year.  Maybe Shields and Infante, but not sure who else.

Hell, they were down 7-3 to Oakland in the 8th inning of the one game playoff.  And their pixie dust lasted all the way until Bumgarner in Game 7 of the WS.

Yeah the Tigers definitely has that 2014 Royals vibe to it. Now the Guardians BP reminds me of that great Royals BP they had in 14 so they could be scary

Edited by Baseball fandom

Night has been a disappointing mess, and I’m pretty sure the outcome more because of Garrett Cole being completely on tonight then it is because of management issues.
It’s still very disappointing, but I still think this team has turned a major corner, And I’m not worried about them seeing the Yankees again in the division series if we get that far.

But the game tonight was very badly handled by the management. It will be interesting to see if there are any personnel changes after the game tonight.

Here's an unpopular opinion. Don’t be mad at me but this team doesn’t have the pitching to make a deep run. And they can’t score against elite pitching either. They can't manufacture runs in tightly-pitched games. If they lose in the WC, at least you escape being eliminated by the MFY. Get out and get better for next year. The potential is there.

45 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Here's an unpopular opinion. Don’t be mad at me but this team doesn’t have the pitching to make a deep run. And they can’t score against elite pitching either. They can't manufacture runs in tightly-pitched games. If they lose in the WC, at least you escape being eliminated by the MFY. Get out and get better for next year. The potential is there.

Orioles won season series  against the yanks 8-5.  I'll take my chances against them in the playoffs.

whatever happens, i hope everyone can enjoy the ride , they could crash and burn like last season or get hot and go on a run , time will tell .what the team has become since adley was called up is amazing , only one team will win it and the O's are getting another chance