Congratulations Yankees

Just Regular

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I feel this very strongly: the Yankees didn’t win the division, we lost it.  

On June 20 when we left New York, they were 51-26, 0.5 games ahead of us.  Since then, the Yankees have totally mediocre, at 42-40.   It should have been child’s play  to pass them and win the division the way they played.   But no, we went 39-45 in that same stretch.   And yeah, we had injuries, blah blah, blah.   I don’t care.   39-45 from a team that was 49-25 is pathetic.  

So no, I won’t congratulate the Yankees.   I’m very disappointed we allowed them to be AL East champions by playing so poorly.  They did very little to earn it.  

This right here. I agree with Frobby.  Baltimore lost it more than NY won it. 

16 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

This right here. I agree with Frobby.  Baltimore lost it more than NY won it. 

And the other thing is I had no false illusions of catching the Yankees but after winning the first 2 I was really hoping they somehow could had swept them and avoided the Yankees clinching the division at their expense.  That game tonight  was reminiscent of the past few months.  Bad BP, bad hitting. 

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

A silver lining is our team being in better shape, and we'll see if they can earn another chance next week.

Can't see a moral victory tonight - it is just the last detail of a baseball loss that's been sure for awhile now.     They had a better mercenary than ours.     Their best players starred.   

I didn't think @Frobby might be dicey for any given Little League handshake line....like the fight though.

I admire the fact that you took the high road by starting this thread.   And if I’d been in a handshake line, I’d have shaken their hands and said congratulations, because that’s the classy and sportsmanlike thing to do.  But in my heart, I would have been cursing myself for playing so poorly.  

Earlier in the year, when the O’s and Yankees were on top of their game, I had a little argument with @HowAboutThat.   I said if the O’s won 105 games (which they were on pace to do at that point) but lost the division to the Yankees, I wouldn’t be disappointed with our regular season. He disagreed, saying the goal was to win the division and anything less would be a disappointment no matter what.  Well, it academic now.  We didn’t win 105 games.  We didn’t win 100, or 95.   We may or may not win 90, depending on how the weekend goes.   And for the record, I didn’t expect we’d win 105, even when we were on pace to do so.   But I expected a lot more wins than we will end up with.   If we’d played well but the Yankees just outplayed us, I’d be congratulating them, but my dominant feeling right now is disappointment with how we’ve played.  

Oh well.  Lick our wounds, pick ourselves up, and on to the playoffs, where I hope some of that disappointment can be erased and superseded.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I feel this very strongly: the Yankees didn’t win the division, we lost it.  

On June 20 when we left New York, they were 51-26, 0.5 games ahead of us.  Since then, the Yankees have totally mediocre, at 42-40.   It should have been child’s play  to pass them and win the division the way they played.   But no, we went 39-45 in that same stretch.   And yeah, we had injuries, blah blah, blah.   I don’t care.   39-45 from a team that was 49-25 is pathetic.  

So no, I won’t congratulate the Yankees.   I’m very disappointed we allowed them to be AL East champions by playing so poorly.  They did very little to earn it.  

I really don't get the downplay of the impact the injuries had on turning the O's into a sub-500 team (EDIT: the team that went 49-25 didn't exist for a long while). On Sep 17 we lost 10-0 to the Giants. This was our starting lineup

1. Slater
  2. Rutschmann
  3. Henderson
  4. Santander
  5. Jimenez
  6. Rivera
  7. Mullins
  8. Mayo
  9. Soto

Vomit... 5 guys in that lineup (and in many other lineups for a few months) who will likely get zero ABs the rest of the way (You can include Holliday too). 

Edited by Jagwar

7 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I really don't get the downplay of the impact the injuries had on turning the O's into a sub-500 team (EDIT: the team that went 49-25 didn't exist for a long while). On Sep 17 we lost 10-0 to the Giants. This was our starting lineup

1. Slater
  2. Rutschmann
  3. Henderson
  4. Santander
  5. Jimenez
  6. Rivera
  7. Mullins
  8. Mayo
  9. Soto

Vomit... 5 guys in that lineup (and in many other lineups for a few months) who will likely get zero ABs the rest of the way (You can include Holliday too). 

Take a look at Tampa last year.   They were  48-20 at one point, suffered a similar number of setbacks and injuries, but still managed to go 51-43 the rest of the season.  And if we’d done something comparable, I wouldn’t be complaining now.  

Take a look at my Injuries Happen - 2023 thread.   We had a tough year with injuries in 2024, but it wasn’t anything unprecedented.   And you know what?  If Holliday and Mayo had played half-decently, maybe we’re not seeing the likes of Rivera and Soto on a regular basis.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Take a look at Tampa last year.   They were  48-20 at one point, suffered a similar number of setbacks and injuries, but still managed to go 51-43 the rest of the season.  And if we’d done something comparable, I wouldn’t be complaining now.  

Take a look at my Injuries Happen - 2023 thread.   We had a tough year with injuries in 2024, but it wasn’t anything unprecedented.   And you know what?  If Holliday and Mayo had played half-decently, maybe we’re not seeing the likes of Rivera and Soto on a regular basis.  

I understand what you're saying. I just believe that the team that went 49-25 didn't exist after a certain date. You're referencing a team that was totally transformed by the IL. 

3 hours ago, Jagwar said:

1. Slater
  2. Rutschmann
  3. Henderson
  4. Santander
  5. Jimenez
  6. Rivera
  7. Mullins
  8. Mayo
  9. Soto

While we lost some talented players, I think the consensus was some of the players we lost were actually blocking more talented prospects. The loss of Westburg and Urias should have been mostly offset by Holliday and Mayo. Instead, they were truly abysmal. 

Povich had some nice moments but he was disappointing as well. 

Maybe our expectations were too high - Elias is not going to hit on every prospect, and even the ones that turn out good may take a while to adjust. Still, I think it is fair to have expected more out of Mayo and Holliday since the organization deemed them ready to promote. 

In addition to the prospects, you had Adley hit a wall, going from a 6 WAR pace to replacement level, and Cowser and O'Hearn both struggling. 

Certainly injuries hurt us, but we should have been strong enough to overcome them. Maybe not to sustain a 105 win pace but I think it is fair to say we should have been able to beat 95 wins and win the division even with the injuries.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

F the Yankees. We took the season series against them. Let them get cold waiting around, while we get some much needed confidence of winning a playoff series. 

Confidence would be a scary drug for this team. 

I don’t think the time off can be understated for a guy like Judge. It’s not easy to keep all his moving parts in perfect motion. 

11 hours ago, Just Regular said:

The point is recognizing good play by a worthy competitor, if that isn't too confusing.

Is there a point to your post?

I think you are posting on the wrong board.   Worthy competitor my butt.    They spent three times as much as the O's to achieve little more.    

The economy system of MLB is lopsided to advantage the rich teams.   Congratulating them for taking advantage of the system seems  like hollow praise to me.   

I say congratulation to the O's for overcoming many injuries and good luck in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Here's the deal. I doubt anyone on the Yankee's board congradulated us last year. This year they won the East. Whippie for them. It's like saying the IRS won tax season. IF, we do anything in the playoffs, we may meet again. But there are some significant hurdles before that. And they could easily lose along the way. Cleveland, Houston, Detroit, and KC are no walk in the park. I'll root for the O's to go as far as they can and that the Yankees are one and done. We are in. I hope we win one more so we play the opening round in Oriole Park. If not, we are still in and have to do what we got to do to go anywhere. Two years in a row. While the Red Sox, Blue Jays, and Tampa sleep. Year two with a heck of a lot more obstacles. This may not be a WS year but we are competitive, young, and a hell of a lot classier than that bunch in the Bronx. 

Yeah I'm all for sportsmanship but seeing 'Congratulations Yankees' at or near the top of the board is sickening, not gonna lie. 

There is no high road when it comes to these clowns.  Boone's constant whining, the well-documented HP ump favoritism (I don't care if its framing or whatever, its happening, and its annoying AF), the whining about Judge getting hit on the hand while their guys constantly pitch inside including of course the Kjerstad play where they were literally cutting up on the bench as he lay prone on home plate, the ginormous payroll, the incredibly entitled fan base booing at pitches being called balls that are three inches off the plate, that stupid roll call, that stupid whistle after strikeouts, the stupid national media drooling over a Judge v Ohtani WS possibility, Nestor Cortes and his dumb mustache, the mediocre stadium that is revered simply because its called Yankee Stadium, the ridiculously short RF porch, the Soto Shuffle or whatever the hell it is.

Congratulations my ass.  Screw those dudes.