When are we going to find a real closer?

Great 2BA FL Gator

I really, really dislike it when people ignore the evidence before their eyes in evaluating pitchers. Sherrill has been an escape artist as a closer ever since he got here. Last half of 2008 he was horrible. Spring training this year he was horrible. So far this season he's been well below average despite having 3 saves.

I never said he was a great closer, or "ignored evidence before my eyes" as you so eloquently put it. Tacking this year's few appearances onto last year's is just poor analysis IMO. I didn't say he's throwing well right now, I'm just saying that how he did at the end of last season has little bearing on how he's throwing right now. I don't mind looking at it as an indication of future performance, but referring to it as if those innings were recent is deceiving.

ETA: The point I'm trying to make is that he could have thrown up all 0's this season, and you could make him look terrible by tacking on last season's second-half performance.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GS is not for the faint of heart, but he is getting the job done with good stuff and a strong mental makeup - when he's not being overused. People should appreciate GS for what he can do. I think Ray at his best is better, but Ray needs to get consistently good.

I expect our FO will bring up the next generation of bp arms from the minors soon enough. I'd like to get Mickolio and Liz up in the next few weeks.

Sorry the team is not winning in a prettier fashion, but the fact is we are not so much better (really, we are not better) than these teams we are beating.

People complain about our bullpen, but it was the Texas bp that was outpitched tonight. How about that!

Sherril is what he is. A great situational lefty and extreme fly ball pitcher.

Some nights he makes it interesting, some nights he does not.

But by no means is he a horrible pitcher as some people are alluding to.

I understand emotions are high, but mentally he seems to handle save situations much better than non save.

He has to get that mentality all the time.

Some of you are being ridiculous.

Saying you hate him, can't stand him, etc....??

Are you kidding me?

If you want to say that you feel he needs to be replaced as the closer, that's one thing but saying you feelings of hatred towards to the man is absurd.

I have no problem saying I hate George Sherrill. I honestly do. And I am not fair weather, what have you done for me lately. I have always hated Sheirrll. I wish he was never an Oriole. I wish he would retire immediately and I never heard from him or about him again. I can say I honestly do hate him and it will not change.

I have no problem saying I hate George Sherrill. I honestly do. And I am not fair weather, what have you done for me lately. I have always hated Sheirrll. I wish he was never an Oriole. I wish he would retire immediately and I never heard from him or about him again. I can say I honestly do hate him and it will not change.

I have a name and number I am going to give you. I think he can help.

Wow. I think you have issues dude. Did he dump your sister or something? Jeez.

Let me guess, you also like making "I hate Tex signs too".

@TheBirdWatcher:

Flat Breezy hates you, too. :mad:

It's one thing to bag Flat Breezy--how dare you people?!--but T-Bag, well, he deserves the vitriol and ire of Orioles fans. Severna Park indeed hates T-Bag, as do Anne Arundel and Prince George's counties. :laughlol: Spread the hatred of T-Bag, but please, spare Flat Breezy. He's a lovable guy.

Chris Ray will likely take back the closer role sooner than later. I can't see Trembley continuing to have to have to deal with that stress during the end of every game.

Trembley should put Sherrill back into the role where he dominated, as a LH setup guy.

And he did what to you? Sherrill seems like a good guy... I wouldn't mind having him on the O's for years to come - but as a lefty setup/situational guy, not a closer.

Archived