When are we going to find a real closer?

Great 2BA FL Gator

I have no problem saying I hate George Sherrill. I honestly do. And I am not fair weather, what have you done for me lately. I have always hated Sheirrll. I wish he was never an Oriole. I wish he would retire immediately and I never heard from him or about him again. I can say I honestly do hate him and it will not change.

Wow..."hate"? Really? I could see hating murderers and child abusers and rapists and terrorists, but a pitcher? Really? You hate him?

Truth be told, he's actually one of the nicest guys I've met in the O's clubhouse. Why so personal? It's only baseball.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's any need to panic regarding Sherrill - it's painful to watch sometimes, but like everyone else is saying, there's strong young arms in the bullpen, and i wouldn't be surprised to see Ray, Johnson or Liz as closer by 2011.

Well, suggesting that the number he be given be that of a killer probably was the icing on that particular cake. The hate thing was absurd to begin with, but actually wishing death on the guy, whoa.

I've never reported a post before those two. Ugh.

Back on topic, I haven't read this entire thread, but I fee like JJ has the potential to be a lights out closer. He throws hard, locates well, and his secondary stuff is plus to plus plus. That 12-6 curve is one heck of a bender.

I've never reported a post before those two. Ugh.

Back on topic, I haven't read this entire thread, but I fee like JJ has the potential to be a lights out closer. He throws hard, locates well, and his secondary stuff is plus to plus plus. That 12-6 curve is one heck of a bender.

Johnson > Ray as closer. But I dont see Sherrill going anywhere any time soon.

Johnson > Ray as closer. But I dont see Sherrill going anywhere any time soon.

And I'm ok with that. I don't think Sherrill is the future closer here, but he's a bulldog; the type of veteran presence that the young guys can really look up to.

GS is everything Eaton unfortunately isn't able to be for this team. I'm really happy he was included in the Bedard trade.

I've felt for some time that David Hernandez has a real shot as our future closer...

I base it on his lower than desired IP/per start. He has quality power stuff, and in short stints could be quite effective.

Shouldn't you be doing some procrastinator's taxes? :D

Not that I've given up on Sherrill or Chris Ray yet, but I'd LOVE to see David Hernandez in the closer's role in the near future. As long as he keeps the ball down he won't need to trust his changeup as much if he's closing. His heater and breaking stuff are filthy.

I've felt for some time that David Hernandez has a real shot as our future closer...

I base it on his lower than desired IP/per start. He has quality power stuff, and in short stints could be quite effective.

I'm not sure I'd label DH a power pitcher but it's interesting how much velocity was added to JJ's fastball when he converted to a relief role. If DH could throw one inning at 95mph with the same deception he already has he'd be an uber closer.

Not to minimize Hernandez's potential, but his fly ball tendencies worry me. JJ keeps the ball on the ground for the most part (I think).
Would you rather have a high-k guy with flyball tendencies or a low-K guy with groundball tendencies closing? There are benefits to both, tough to weigh them against each other.

Archived