Baker optioned, Davidson called up

forphase1

8 hours ago, Warehouse said:

Presumably, Davidson is optioned or DFA after the game for McDermott, Rogers, or Houser tomorrow. 

Maybe I’m crazy. But I’d be a bit bummed to lose him to have him have thrown today. If it was just someone to finish out the season, I would’ve rather brought up McDermott or rogers (someone with options). Davidson had some really good stretches as a starter in aaa and was pretty lights out as a reliever down there. Losing him for 4 innings in a meaningless game feels wasteful. 

2 hours ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Maybe I’m crazy. But I’d be a bit bummed to lose him to have him have thrown today. If it was just someone to finish out the season, I would’ve rather brought up McDermott or rogers (someone with options). Davidson had some really good stretches as a starter in aaa and was pretty lights out as a reliever down there. Losing him for 4 innings in a meaningless game feels wasteful. 

Is he out of options? Thought he looked pretty good today in what I saw. Surprised it took this long to get him up here frankly.

7 hours ago, survivedc said:

Is he out of options? Thought he looked pretty good today in what I saw. Surprised it took this long to get him up here frankly.

Article from when we signed him last November said he was out of options. Wonder if povich makes the playoff roster or someone like him makes sense to option down. 

im a bit surprised he didn’t get called up sooner too other than the lack of options to send him back down after. But if we were going to just call him up for one bulk relief outing then release him, we could’ve done it for more meaningful games. 

he is only just reaching arbitration, so he’d have to stick on the roster next year unless they can pass him through waivers anyway, but you’d at least like to give him a spring training opportunity to make the bullpen. 

21 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Article from when we signed him last November said he was out of options. Wonder if povich makes the playoff roster or someone like him makes sense to option down. 

im a bit surprised he didn’t get called up sooner too other than the lack of options to send him back down after. But if we were going to just call him up for one bulk relief outing then release him, we could’ve done it for more meaningful games. 

he is only just reaching arbitration, so he’d have to stick on the roster next year unless they can pass him through waivers anyway, but you’d at least like to give him a spring training opportunity to make the bullpen. 

He probably won’t get claimed.  He might accept an outright since he’ll be a free agent at end-of-year anyway if not added to 40-man and staying on Orioles minor league reserve list keeps him eligible as possible injury replacement for the playoffs.  If so, we can decide whether or not to add him to 40 at year end and tender him arbitration.  

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Davidson DFA after 4+ scoreless innings. Had a decent season for us. Kind of surprised they would pitch him in a meaningless game rather than keep him around for depth. Must be they had already decided to clear room on the 40 man after the season? 

Davidson will play at 29-years old next season and was good, but not great this year in AAA. The Orioles needed pitching help several times this season and passed him up each time until they needed a bulk guy yesterday.

He threw the ball well yesterday against an obviously defeated Twins team who were eliminated the day before and playing a lot of backups. If they want to resign him as depth I'm sure a split major-minor league deal with a spring training invite will work.

Saying that, Davidson seems like the kind of pitcher who will let the offseason play out a bit before signing with a team that gives him the best opportunity to pitch in the major leagues next year.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Davidson will play at 29-years old next season and was good, but not great this year in AAA. The Orioles needed pitching help several times this season and passed him up each time until they needed a bulk guy yesterday.

He threw the ball well yesterday against an obviously defeated Twins team who were eliminated the day before and playing a lot of backups. If they want to resign him as depth I'm sure a split major-minor league deal with a spring training invite will work.

Saying that, Davidson seems like the kind of pitcher who will let the offseason play out a bit before signing with a team that gives him the best opportunity to pitch in the major leagues next year.

Yeah, he is a marginal guy that we got through waivers so not a huge loss either way. I saw on mlbtraderumors they think he is likely to pass through waivers. Makes even more sense if the plan was to clear him off the 40-man anyway. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/09/orioles-designate-tucker-davidson-for-assignment.html