End of season melancholy

HowAboutThat

Every year at the end of the season, I feel a little melancholy. For me, the end of summer is not the start of school or the arrival of fall, but the end of baseball season.

Today is the last day of a long song, and I will miss it.

I know we have at least four more days, but those are in a different category, although I will miss that too when it ends.

During the darkest days of the season, I posted frequently that the worst day of baseball is still baseball.

When the Os played terrible, I would go focus on the Brewers or the A’s or Mariners(who were almost as frustrating as the Os) and follow along with former Orioles, rooting for all of them.

That will all stop by tonight, and I will miss it until next February, when pitchers and catchers report.

If I’m still here, I’ll be here. 

Go Os…

• Upvote 2

“It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.”

— A Bartlett Giamatti

https://mason.gmu.edu/~rmatz/giamatti.html

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually post the lyrics of Paul Simon’s Night Game on the last day of the season, but it doesn’t really fit for a team going to the playoffs.   So I’ll wait, and hopefully never have occasion to post it.   

• Upvote 2