Todays lineup: No Markakis Again

jjdman

In fairness Hernandez said on ESPNews post-game extra last night that he expected to play today. He cracked a joke about having to play in day games while he is young and can. We do have to be careful and get him some rest, but it is early in the season and apparently he is not looking for a day off right now.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also seems like we are really riding Ramon Hernandez too hard. Why not flip him and Javy for the day game today? Cleveland is a team that doesn't run - seems like a good day to get some rest before the Yankees series...

Good point dl. No way Hernandez should be catching a day game after last night as often as he's been catching this year.

I'm certainly not impressed with Perlozzo's lineups and player management so far this year whe it comes to Markakis, Hernandez and Millar.

I agree with Tony, SG, and most others on here that there is not a good reason for Markakis too be sitting this much. Play him consistently in the bigs or play him consistently in the minors. Those should be the only two options.

Tony, what I'm saying is that Perlozzo simply has more experience and information than we, as a group do. You say that there is no reason for Conine to start two days in a row against right handed pitching. So, I guess you mean that Perlozzo is acting arbitrarily with no reason for making the decision that he has. I would say that Perlozzo obviously does have a reason for making that decision and we just don't know what that reason is. If our correspondents or Roch or someone else ask him why Markakis hasn't started the last two games we might get an answer. But, I haven't seen anyone here or in the Sun ask or get an answer to that question.

I just think we assume we know better than the manager and that is probably not often the case.

Markakis plate appearances: 45

Oriole games thus far: 16

PA/game: 2.8125

Projected PA per 162: 455

What seems to be the problem?

It should be fairly obvious that Perlozzo is going with the same line up as last night in order to attempt to sustain the "positive" vibe.

Conine PA: 41

Projected PA: 415

I agree that this is a few more PAs than I would like to see Conine get, but Perlozzo made it clear early this week that he is going to give Conine a chance to play out of it. If he doesn't, he will sit a lot more.

The guys who have been losing at bats this year are Matos and Patterson to Conine and Markakis. Markakis is playing plenty thus far.

Patterson had one good hit (the homer) and one smart hit (the bunt) last night. The homer was on a meatball belt high down the middle, but at least he hit it. His stroke does look shorter and quicker, but he still swung at a lot of pitcher's pitches last night. I hope he comes around, but I'm still not very hopeful based on his lack of plate discipline.

Of course, so did Gibbons, but nobody cares right now because he is getting enough good pitches to hit and he is killing them. We'll see how long that continues if he keeps hacking at everything.

If he doesn't get an ab tonight, he'll only be on pace for 429 pa's. He should get at least 500 if healthy.

If Markakis is not an everyday starter on this team he needs to be in the minors. Perlozzo's reluctance to run him out there everyday is ridiculous in my opinion. Perlozzo is playing a strict "If you produce you play" mentality which is fine with Conine, Patterson, Terrero and Newhan when healthy, but Markakis needs to be mainstay no less than five times a week. Anything less and and they are screwing with the kids head and development.

I agree. Markakis will learn the most by being at the plate in game situations. Conine, etc., have had that opportunity.

Sitting Markakis two straight days is wrong. So Conine had a good day -- he can sit and contemplate it today and come back and play first tomorrow. We don't need both Millar and Conine in consecutive day lineups while Nick watches. That does nothing to improve this franchise's future.

Tony, what I'm saying is that Perlozzo simply has more experience and information than we, as a group do. You say that there is no reason for Conine to start two days in a row against right handed pitching. So, I guess you mean that Perlozzo is acting arbitrarily with no reason for making the decision that he has. I would say that Perlozzo obviously does have a reason for making that decision and we just don't know what that reason is. If our correspondents or Roch or someone else ask him why Markakis hasn't started the last two games we might get an answer. But, I haven't seen anyone here or in the Sun ask or get an answer to that question.

I just think we assume we know better than the manager and that is probably not often the case.

Perhaps you are right, but I'm very concerned over Perlozzo's insistence that Jeff Conine get at bats. Conine is nothing more than a role player on any major league team. He has ZERO power left and nothing more than a slow slap hitting singles hitter. That's great if you want to pinch hit for someone or spot start him here and there, but back to back days of him with Markakis on the bench is just not smart in my opinion.

I'm certain that Perlozzo knows more than I do about his team, but I'm just as certain that his reluctance to throw Markakis into the fire is not what's best for this team now and in the future.

Overall I am pleased with the amount of ABs Markakis is getting, and think that on this current pace he will have sufficient chance to develop this season without sitting on the bench. I don't think it is a stat thing. It is a symbolic thing, or as Tony put it better a head thing. The kid sits two straight days against righties, voices are likely to start creeping into his head about how his PT is in jeopardy and he has to try harder to produce results when he is in there. And that would be a problem if it causes him to start pressing.

I think one random example is not the end of the world, but it is something to watch for. Overall I think Perlozzo has done a pretty admirable job getting ABs for all of the spare parts he has. And as I said I have been pleased with the time Markakis has gotten. But if this is anything more than just riding a hot streak and a one-off example it is a worry.

If he doesn't get an ab tonight, he'll only be on pace for 429 pa's. He should get at least 500 if healthy.

Right. These "paces" for early in the season are ridiuclous.

The fact is Markakis has missed alot of games and one of the games, he "lucked" into because of Newhan's injury.

The guy does not have alot of ab's at any level. He needs to play everyday.

And when you think about RJ pitching, he will sit that game out as well. So, then that will be 3 out of 4 games he sits? Someone justify how this makes sense.

I agree. Markakis will learn the most by being at the plate in game situations. Conine, etc., have had that opportunity.

Sitting Markakis two straight days is wrong. So Conine had a good day -- he can sit and contemplate it today and come back and play first tomorrow. We don't need both Millar and Conine in consecutive day lineups while Nick watches. That does nothing to improve this franchise's future.

OR even better, if he's so hot, put him at first base and sit Millar.

JUST DON'T SIT MARKAKIS TWO DAYS IN A ROW AGAINST CRAPPY RIGHTHANDED PITCHING.

Right. These "paces" for early in the season are ridiuclous.

The fact is Markakis has missed alot of games and one of the games, he "lucked" into because of Newhan's injury.

The guy does not have alot of ab's at any level. He needs to play everyday.

And when you think about RJ pitching, he will sit that game out as well. So, then that will be 3 out of 4 games he sits? Someone justify how this makes sense.

Absolutely. Also, anyone remember when Markakis was playing so well in spring training? He was playing EVERYDAY.

Tony, you ignored my post. You wanted Markakis to start five games a week. He's started three, with two games left. Are you saying he's allowed to sit for a couple games a week, but not in consecutive games, and not against "crappy pitchers"?

I'd like to see Markakis in the lineup today but I think people are over-reacting a bit. Aside from Gibbons, Nick's been getting more starts than any of our other outfielders so far. I think Sam's doing a good job.

Tony, you ignored my post. You wanted Markakis to start five games a week. He's started three, with two games left. Are you saying he's allowed to sit for a couple games a week, but not in consecutive games, and not against "crappy pitchers"?

I'd like to see Markakis in the lineup today but I think people are over-reacting a bit. Aside from Gibbons, Nick's been getting more starts than any of our other outfielders so far. I think Sam's doing a good job.

The only times he should sit are against tough lefties or if he's hurt.

Playing time is important, but what is even more important is finding playing time where Nick is likely to succeed. Today's and yesterday's game presented perfect opportunities for Markakis to face mediocre right handed pitching. I think what most of us complaining want to see is not only playing time for Nick, but to have the best opportunity to be successful when he is playing.

Give me one good reason why Markakis should sit two games in a row against right-handed pitching while Jeff Conine starts? Oh, and add in the fact he will definitely not start against Randy Johnson?

Really he should be starting 5-6 games a week depending on whether there is an off day. I can see giving him the day off against the Randy Johnson's of the world, but the vast majority of the time he should be in there. If Perlozzo wants to give Conine more at bats (Only God and Perlozzo would know why), take them from Millar, not Markakis.

Archived