Todays lineup: No Markakis Again

jjdman

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read on the Indians MLB board(so I kinda take it with a grain of salt) that all three pitchers we faced were sinkerballers.

However, I dont remember Jason Johnson being a sinkerballer, anyway, I think that may have something to do with the lineup, seeming that these guys are going to face the same kind of pitcher tonight that they crushed last night, and may be getting into a rhythm.

Of course logic would also say this would be a perfect time for Conine to show that "veteran leadership" and help the kid out with figuring out this guy we are facing today.

I usually agree with you but I think you off base here.

You wanna bet the same lineup doesn't even put a five spot on the board today? Yesterday was lightning in the bottle. Conine starting two games in a row against righties with Markakis on the bench is ridiculous.

Yesterday may have been the kind of pitching that got Markakis on track. Got his confidence back to the level it was in spring training. Instead, he got to sit on the bench while everyone raised their averages and now sees his name not in the lineup for the second straight day.

Markakis can have the best makeup in thw orld, but eventually he's going to wonder what his role is with this tea,. He'll never say anything of course, and he shouldn't, but there is not good reason for today, or for the future that Conine should be starting over Markakis two days in a row against righties.

My wife starts a lot of our discussions with the first sentence you wrote.

For the record, I am with you on the plan to start Markakis more than any other outfielder except Jay Gibbons. I agree 100%, start him on almost a daily basis, or send him down so he can hit every day.

My only point is that as powerful as logic is, the hunches and instincts of a baseball lifer such as Sam Perlozzo should count for something, and he apparently has the hunch that the lineup that wore out Indians' pitching last night has a chance to do the same today.

As to the bet about "put(ting) a five spot on the board today," I accept. Loser has to shower in cold water tomorrow morning. (I won't be there to check on you, Tony, but I'll have my wife write a message tomorrow if I lose. I'll be sure she verifies that ... um ... let's see how I can say this delicately ... I'll be sure she verifies that as I stepped out of the shower, my usual four-seamer looked a lot like a Tim Wakefield knuckleball.)

Give me one good reason why Markakis should sit two games in a row against right-handed pitching while Jeff Conine starts? Oh, and add in the fact he will definitely not start against Randy Johnson?

Really he should be starting 5-6 games a week depending on whether there is an off day. I can see giving him the day off against the Randy Johnson's of the world, but the vast majority of the time he should be in there. If Perlozzo wants to give Conine more at bats (Only God and Perlozzo would know why), take them from Millar, not Markakis.

Didn't realize we're facing RJ in the Yankees series. Perlozzo could play him for all we know - Nick's been saying he hits lefties better than righties.

Like I said - I would like to see him play today. Especially after Patterson makes a throwing error allowing a run to score in the first :rolleyes: but it's early in the season and so far, it's only two days. He'll get his AB's against bad pitchers and some great ones. It's a long season and too early to panic about this kind of thing (in my opinion).

For the record, I am with you on the plan to start Markakis more than any other outfielder except Jay Gibbons. I agree 100%, start him on almost a daily basis, or send him down so he can hit every day.

My only point is that as powerful as logic is, the hunches and instincts of a baseball lifer such as Sam Perlozzo should count for something, and he apparently has the hunch that the lineup that wore out Indians' pitching last night has a chance to do the same today.

As to the bet about "put(ting) a five spot on the board today," I accept. Loser has to shower in cold water tomorrow morning. (I won't be there to check on you, Tony, but I'll have my wife write a message tomorrow if I lose. I'll be sure she verifies that ... um ... let's see how I can say this delicately ... I'll be sure she verifies that as I stepped out of the shower, my usual four-seamer looked a lot like a Tim Wakefield knuckleball.)

This is easily the most disturbing baseball reference I have seen in my life, lol, good job Jim.

Perlozzo is managing to win - that's what I like to see.

I think Markakis should be in the minors. He should be in an environment when he can thrive and that is at Bowie. As it is, I still believe that Markakis will get around 400 at-bats this year - so I do not think it is the complete mismanagement that some here believe.

I would like to see NM get more playing time, but I will defer to SP's judgement about playing time.

Since I'm trying to avoid thinking about you stepping out the shower, I'd prefer to just a bet a beverage of choice once I return to the area this summer. :D

Since I'm trying to avoid thinking about you stepping out the shower, I'd prefer to just a bet a beverage of choice once I return to the area this summer. :D

Yeah, I was trying to avoid thinking about that, too.

OK, you're on, beverage of choice ... and my heroes need only three more runs.

I'm not sure what this even means. I don't make judgements based on the name of the manager.

What I don't understand is why playing him 75-80% vs 90% of the time (which is what has happened thus far) is worth some much venom from so many. The difference here is not very big (~60-70 PA per year).

I don't agree with Perlozzo giving Conine lots of at bats to "get out of it", but I will withhold judgment for 30 total games or so. If Conine starts to hit, great. If not, he should sit most of time. If he doesn't, I will be upset.

60-70 more ab's for a guy learning to play and a guy that does not have alot of ab's is alot.

110 games(69% of them) is not enough.

Yeah, I was trying to avoid thinking about that, too.

OK, you're on, beverage of choice ... and my heroes need only three more runs.

OK, I'll buy you your beverage.. But I'm still right!! :) One bloop Conine double won't change my mind. In fact, the Orioles hitting is contagious and Markakis could have been enjoying this as well. Instead, he'll get his at bats against the Yankees instead of this horrible Cleveland pitching.

Perlozzo and his supporters may have won this battle, but they will lose the war in the long run with Perlozzo's short sightedness.

If Markakis is not an everyday starter on this team he needs to be in the minors. Perlozzo's reluctance to run him out there everyday is ridiculous in my opinion. Perlozzo is playing a strict "If you produce you play" mentality which is fine with Conine, Patterson, Terrero and Newhan when healthy, but Markakis needs to be mainstay no less than five times a week. Anything less and and they are screwing with the kids head and development.

I don't think not putting him out there 5 times a week is going to mess with his head. He has a good head on his shoulders and he isnt the type that is going to start crying and getting mental because he isnt playing every single game. A big part of the learning process comes from the dugout, watching and learning pitchers, pitches they throw in certain counts, etc.. Just by watching Tejada how he handles himself throughout a game is a learning experience in itself. Perlozzo has done a great job so far, and I see nothing wrong with sticking with a hot lineup. You have to remember how many guys we have who need at-bats, if they do good, patterson in particular you have some nice trade bait. Markakis is the future, these other guys are the present, and thats it, Myself and I assume Flanny would like to see the present depart with some pieces coming in return.

In conclusion, Markakis will get his at-bats, 4 or 5 days a week, without a doubt, its a young season, have patience :)

I'm not gonna worry about Nick getting 500 ABs. That's not Sam's job. Sam's job is get the team to win ballgames. Nick is a piece on his chessboard. Sam's gonna let Nick get his ABs. I don't see why 500 of them is such a big deal.

First year at bats:

Willie Mays: 464

Mickey Mantle: 341

Roberto Clemente: 474

Stan Musial: 467 (ignoring previous yr cup-o-coffee)

Mel Ott: 163 (ignoring previous call-up; the following yr was 435)

Dave Winfield: 141 (the following year was 498)

Roger Maris: 358

Rocky Colavito: 322 (ignoring previous yr call-up)

etc., etc.

And, lest we forget:

Sam Bowens: 501 (after prev. yr. call-up)

Archived