Beckett Suspended

LookinUp

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that is lame.

Abreu called time at the last second when Beckett was delivering. It wasnt even that close either. If anything Abreu should get suspended for being a little baby.

Oh well, if we miss Beckett thats fine by me.

IF we could only get Adam Eaton to throw way over somebody's head & get suspended for 60 games. :rofl:

Wow, that is lame.

Abreu called time at the last second when Beckett was delivering. It wasnt even that close either. If anything Abreu should get suspended for being a little baby.

Horse Hockey. You intentionally throw a pitch at or near somebody's head you should get a month's suspension, not six freakin' games. Abreu has the right to ask for time, and the ump has the right to ignore him. The ump called time, not Abreu.

About ten years ago the same thing happened at Camden yards when BJ Surhoff asked for time while Clemens was pitching for Yanks with a runner on 2nd. Clemens was looking not at home plate but at the runner and didn't know time had been granted the batter, and when he went to deliver the pitch Surhoff was standing five feet outside the box adjusting his batting gloves. The pitch sailed past BJ's ear at about 100mph, and umps never said boo about it. Of course the O's never retaliated back then so Clemens got away with his "message" to Surhoff.

Hopefully the Orioles would react now days the same way the Angels did.

His suspension will not be shortened. It depends on how quickly his appeal is heard whether we will see him this weekend, but it probably will not be heard by then. My guess is he will face us and then his appeal will be heard and denied.

What's the point in suspending a SP 6 days, why not just suspend him for one start?

So they don't say, "oh, I'm starting tomorrow, guess I'll have to sit that one out, eh? when they pitched yesterday.

His suspension will not be shortened. It depends on how quickly his appeal is heard whether we will see him this weekend, but it probably will not be heard by then. My guess is he will face us and then his appeal will be heard and denied.

Well, if you're right, doesn't that mean he misses the MFY's instead of the O's. If you were him/BOS, which start would you want him to miss?

Horse Hockey. You intentionally throw a pitch at or near somebody's head you should get a month's suspension, not six freakin' games. Abreu has the right to ask for time, and the ump has the right to ignore him. The ump called time, not Abreu.

About ten years ago the same thing happened at Camden yards when BJ Surhoff asked for time while Clemens was pitching for Yanks with a runner on 2nd. Clemens was looking not at home plate but at the runner and didn't know time had been granted the batter, and when he went to deliver the pitch Surhoff was standing five feet outside the box adjusting his batting gloves. The pitch sailed past BJ's ear at about 100mph, and umps never said boo about it. Of course the O's never retaliated back then so Clemens got away with his "message" to Surhoff.

Hopefully the Orioles would react now days the same way the Angels did.

Good post. Agree 100%.

It wasn't intentional.

It wasn't intentional.

Nobody knows that for sure but Josh Beckett. That said, given his reputation, history of shenanigans, and the way he behaved after nearly hitting Abreu in the head, it seems to me pretty likely that the commissioner's office's assessment that it was intentional is accurate.

I know that there was once a conspiracy theory discussion claiming that the MFYs (and Mets) benefit from the current suspension/appeal process, because appeals are usually heard when teams visit NY, and most appeals are denied, so most players suspensions' are served when teams are visiting NY.

Has anyone actually documented whether this is true? Do the Mets/Yankees benefit disproportionately from the timing of other teams' supsensions?

IMHO, the rule should be that a suspension has to be served (at least in part) while the team is facing the same opponent as when the initial incident occured. In other words, Beckett's suspsension window should include the next time that the Red Sox play LAA.

Archived