Wieters

VC@WilliamMary

The physical, like many other minor aspects to the negotiations, can be worked around.

Perhaps Boras already had a quality doctor provide a physical and all that is required is the Orioles to accept the documentation of that physical. Perhaps both sides have agreed to a mutually acceptable quality, local doctor wherever Wieters is and that can take place tomorrow. Perhaps the Os waive the contingent physical.

The lawyers can sit on a bunch of documents and have everyone sign them tomorrow once the final numbers and clauses are agreed to.

All of this stuff can be worked through quickly once the lawyers are told to stop quibbling - the negotiating is over and get it done.

Papers to the commish's office can be sent via fax or email using pdf files.

This is slow as molasses Peter Angelos, known for having important documents related to the team for him to sign off on to sit and rot on his desk in his law firm for weeks at a time. I don't have confidence your scenario.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what role Angelos is playing in all of this? My guess is that he signed off on drafting Wieters knowing Boras' ballpark demands.

We all know that McPhail got total control. It is Angelos' money and his bottom line being affected. I mean, if Angelos wanted him, and he's willing to pay, shouldn't this be a done deal?

This is slow as molasses Peter Angelos, known for having important documents related to the team for him to sign off on to sit and rot on his desk in his law firm for weeks at a time. I don't have confidence your scenario.

I expect PA is unlikely to sign the docs. He's probably given power of attorney to Andy MacPhail and at least one backup person to sign this contract.

And, based on my experience in business matters - obviously not with PA - it wouldn't be unusual for the attorneys to already be sitting on signed signature pages from PA!

I expect PA is unlikely to sign the docs. He's probably given power of attorney to Andy MacPhail and at least one backup person to sign this contract.

And, based on my experience in business matters - obviously not with PA - it wouldn't be unusual for the attorneys to already be sitting on signed signature pages from PA!

It makes sense in normal business but we've heard too many stories of trades being in place and just needing Angelos' sig and Peter nowhere to be found.

It makes sense in normal business but we've heard too many stories of trades being in place and just needing Angelos' sig and Peter nowhere to be found.

What is it with you people? You can't make these fears up.

Rockbird, you and Moose need to go to time out and just calm down.;)

What is it with you people? You can't make these fears up.

Rockbird, you and Moose need to go to time out and just calm down.;)

Make up what fears? There were articles the last couple trade deadlines the Burnett and Oswalt deals specifically where opposing GMs complained that they had deals but had to wait around for Angelos to sign off and he was often unavailable which caused deals to fall apart with other offers being made. I'm more confident than not now with the recent smoke signals being given, but I would still leave ZERO room for error. This is the Orioles. If there's some new unique way to screw something up they'll find it.

This is the Orioles. If there's some new unique way to screw something up they'll find it.

Quoted for truth.

Okay, I admit, I am a bit nervous, but I'm way more pissed than nervous.

A lot of people are acting like this is in the bag for some reason which I still can't figure out.

Is anything ever in the bag with the O's front office?

It wouldn't make sense for Weiters and Boras to go flying to Baltimore and take the time and inconvenience of a physical if there's a chance they're not signing. What would be the advantage from their point of view? It encourages the O's to settle quicker to leave time for that. I agree this one needs to be close to wrapping up by tomorrow mid-day for it to happen. Hopefully there's a lot of late night negotiating going on.

Doesn't Boras have a dozen or so clients all facing the same deadline? I would be surprised if he's anywhere tomorrow except in his office with a phone in each ear all day long.

Because there are so many players and teams in this situation, I'm sure MLB has circulated guidelines on acceptable deadline procedures and every agent and team has this issue factored in long ago and are dealing with other concerns.

Doesn't Boras have a dozen or so clients all facing the same deadline? I would be surprised if he's anywhere tomorrow except in his office with a phone in each ear all day long.

Because there are so many players and teams in this situation, I'm sure MLB has circulated guidelines on acceptable deadline procedures and every agent and team has this issue factored in long ago and are dealing with other concerns.

This is a comical image. I hope Boras has associate attorneys he works with that he delegates to.

This is a comical image. I hope Boras has associate attorneys he works with that he delegates to.

And probably not far from the truth.

I'm sure there is a Boras associate minding each of his clients at this point. There might be press issues to consider in addition to the physicals, so some of these kids might be in hotels in their new team's cities. That means that a law firm needs to be retained to facilitate the contract process. Or maybe the player is at home with his folks where the same needs apply. They could also be at Boras' offices.

I don't know what the exact situation is with Weiters, but any of the above scenarios is plausible.

(Yes, this is another Wieters thread) I may not be a whiz in baseball economics, and players flame-out all the time, but Wieters is about as close to a sure thing as you get nowadays. Just sign the man! Consider it "a large investment in your franchise's future."

It takes money to make money!

Yeah, sign him! Because I've been back for all of 30 seconds and I'm already overloaded on the Wieter threads.

Don't worry, starting Friday (after the Wieters POST deadline day of madness) we'll be right back to the "Sign Teixiera after 2008" threads! :D

Archived