A debate that should be interesting???

Flosman

Well, Nick is more advanced at similar ages than Jones.

He clearly has better plate discipline and will have a better OBP..Likely will have a better BA as well.

I am not sure Jones will hit more homers either...I see them both as potential 30 homer/40 double type guys.

Jones has more speed...He is in a more key defensive position and is probably better defensively than Nick is although Nick is a GG caliber guy.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea...This argument is so poor anyway.

So, Jones went to Texas(a great park where the ball flies) and hit a ball far, so he is going to be better than Nick? lol

The homer that Nick hit this year, if it wasn't cold and the ball carried better, would have easily gone 418.

Yea...This argument is so poor anyway.

So, Jones went to Texas(a great park where the ball flies) and hit a ball far, so he is going to be better than Nick? lol

The homer that Nick hit this year, if it wasn't cold and the ball carried better, would have easily gone 418.

Who made that argument? All I said is I think Jones shows potential of superstardom moreso than Markakis. I do think he will hit more homers than Markakis as he is much bigger and stronger, and I think he is going to win a Gold Glove as he has the ability to glide after balls with more speed than Nick, and plays CF where most Gold Gloves are awarded. Sorry, I don't see one in Markakis future.

I also think Jones will end up taking over batting third and Markakis will revert back to the two spot which is better for him anyway since he likes to take pitches allowing BR to steal. Also, as lefty it gives him a hole to shoot for that is a natural advantage.

I must have missed it then, and by your chart it looks like he did it once and it was exactly 418. I must admit, I am rather surprised, as I didn't think he had the size and strength to do that from looking at him.

As opposed to Adam who did it once last night????:rolleyes:

SG is correct however this is really not relevent to the debate until MLB decides to give extra runs base on how far the HR travels.

I must have missed it then, and by your chart it looks like he did it once and it was exactly 418. I must admit, I am rather surprised, as I didn't think he had the size and strength to do that from looking at him.

That homerun was this year. If you change the season to 2008 you will find that his longest HR last year wa 435 feet in Tampa. There is also a link to the video.

Not sure where you're getting that from. If you look at standard distance, he hit homeruns of 434 and 427 feet.

Not sure where you're getting that from. If you look at standard distance, he hit homeruns of 434 and 427 feet.

The link you sent out was for this year's HR. It traveled exactly 418 feet.

Pretty funny actually.

It just shows that if either of them get a good swing on the ball, they can hit it very far.

Who made that argument? All I said is I think Jones shows potential of superstardom moreso than Markakis. I do think he will hit more homers than Markakis and I think he is going to win a Gold Glove and I don't see one in Markakis future. I also think Jones will end up taking over batting third and Markakis will revert back to the two spot which is better for him anyway since he likes to take pitches allowing BR to steal. Also, as lefty it gives him a hole to shoot for that is a natural advantage.

I think you got this a little backward. I strongly suspect part of Adams blazing start is the fact that Nick is hitting behind him and Huff behind that. Adam is the guy pitchers are least afraid of out of those three right now IMO. This in combination of Adam really improving his approach at the plate has yielded great results. The interesting thing to watch is how Adam handles it when teams are a little more careful with him.

Who made that argument? All I said is I think Jones shows potential of superstardom moreso than Markakis. I do think he will hit more homers than Markakis as he is much bigger and stronger, and I think he is going to win a Gold Glove as he has the ability to glide after balls with more speed than Nick, and plays CF where most Gold Gloves are awarded. Sorry, I don't see one in Markakis future.

I also think Jones will end up taking over batting third and Markakis will revert back to the two spot which is better for him anyway since he likes to take pitches allowing BR to steal. Also, as lefty it gives him a hole to shoot for that is a natural advantage.

So, Jones has a better chance to win a GG and you think he may hit more homers and that makes him a better player?

That is some silly reasoning there but of course you only pay attention to the things that you like, while ignoring the things that proves who is a better player.

Oh well, glad we have both of them.

Archived