Who Are You .... and what have you done to Bill Rowell?

hoosiers

Who does this guy think he is?

A home run, two BBs and no Ks in the same game?

Let's see here:

- striking out once every six at-bats (approx 16%) in the early 09 season, but had only one month in 2008 with a K% less than 21.5%. Has not struck out less than in 24.5% (1 in every four) of his at-bats at any minor league level.

- walking once every six at-bats (approx 16%) in the early 09 season, but maxed out this ratio at 13.3% in July 08 and was only above 10% in one other month. Has not averaged over 9% as a BB% in a full season league.

- BB/K is 1. Has rounded to 1/3 since playing above rookie ball.

- xbh as % of total at-bats - 7.8% at DelMarva, 6.9% last year, 9.7% this year.

Obviously, these stats are after a big night, and we know the power is there, but the plate discipline appears to be coming along rapidly. If BR starts striking out less, he will get better pitches to hit and will walk more and use his power.

Perhaps early signs that BR will show the maturation at the plate we've been waiting for.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad you made this thread, because it reminds me of the same stuff being said about Snyder last year. Billy is only what, 20 years old right? Yes, some players in MLB are progressing better and faster, but it's not like this kid is Moore and hanging on to his last chance here or something. He'll start to grow up and will turn some heads this year I predict, he's just got to want it mentally.

A lot of these kids get a certain attitude, especially out of HS where they are high draft choices and think they are going to skate by because of promise and draft status. They forget that it took hard work to get here, and will take 10x the hard work to get where they want to be. He will get it, I'm thinking repeating at Fredrick might be the kick in the pants he needs to get the message.

I think everytime I hear Billy Rowell's name I have to remind myself he isn't a 20 something fading prospect. Maybe this is the year he takes a step forward as a hitter. There's a huge learning curve for players out of HS, hence why nearly all of them take years to get to the majors. I think this may be the year Billy starts to find himself as a hitter and can take a big step forward in his journey to the big leagues.

If I remember correctly BR has stated that he learned a ton from Wieters and Arrieta last year. Seeing the amount of time and prep that those two put in really made an impression on him. Sometimes it takes being passed by superior prospects for a guy to realize the work he needs to put in. Here's to hoping BR is getting it.

I am hopeful, but that is too small a sample size for me to get too excited. I'm just happy that he's starting the season healthy, unlike the last two years. Hopefully that allows him to get off to a solid start and build from there.

I am hopeful, but that is too small a sample size for me to get too excited. I'm just happy that he's starting the season healthy, unlike the last two years. Hopefully that allows him to get off to a solid start and build from there.

It is a small sample size, but when he walks almost as much in the first week as he did in some months last year, it's something.

Time will tell, but I do not believe we are going to see incremental improvements from BR this year. It very well could be a huge leap forward.

I have to admit I’m disappointed that he couldn’t stick at 3B. If his bat were to come around, it would be a lot more important as a third baseman than an outfielder. With Markakis, Jones, Pie, Reimold and Montanez we seem pretty set for the next 5 years. Snyder seems like he’s settling in at first base.. so where does that leave Rowell?

Either way, this is a "good problem". Hopefully he can build on his early success.

Maybe he'll come up as a DH prospect. Still wish he could play third, though.

Theres no reason why he cant switch back to 3B once he gets his bat in order.

He would be a soph or jr in college right now if he hadnt been drafted out of HS.

Consider what might go to your head if your became an 18 year old millionaire. Hopefully he's ready to start putting it together.

I doubt he goes back to 3B. Just sounds like he doesn't have the ability to be a decent ML quality 3B. If he does come around with the bat he's more likely to wind up as a 1B or DH.

This is an interesting point since one can go back a year or more and see the posters who said a major difference between Rowell and Travis Snider was Rowell's ability versus Snider's perceived liability. Such a difference does not appear to exist anymore and if Rowell ends up at DH, it will be Snider with the better defensive flexibility.

I say that just as an observation as I expect Rowell to justify, or come close to justifying, the pick.

It is a small sample size, but when he walks almost as much in the first week as he did in some months last year, it's something.

Time will tell, but I do not believe we are going to see incremental improvements from BR this year. It very well could be a huge leap forward.

I'm curious what you would consider a "huge leap forward." Would you consider Brandon Erbe's improvement when he repeated Frederick as a 20-year old last year a "huge leap forward," "incremental improvement," or something in between?

Personally, I would be "satisfied" if Rowell put up an OPS in the .760-.780 range this year, and "thrilled" if he put up .800+. I would consider .800+ a "huge leap forward."

In the offseason, I was hoping for BR to average for the year a 25 point OPS improvement from his best month last year.

If BR is going to be more selective at the plate, I think something north of 825 is likely.

Well, that definitely would be a huge leap forward, and would position him to go to the AFL this fall, I would think.

Archived