Who Are You .... and what have you done to Bill Rowell?

hoosiers

I saw Rowell yesterday. I can't remember if I have seen him before. Here are my OldFan impressions after seeing him just once...

- Very slow bat speed. I think most of his contact was on 2 strikes so he may have ben protecting the plate but it looked like his bat was heavy or something. Even his single yesterday was a seeing-eye single.

- Badly misplayed a line-drive that should have been caught in RF. Came in, and then back-peddled when he realized it would be way over his head.

I know he's still 20 years old, but based on what I saw yesterday I don't have high hopes for him.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roch's latest, http://masnsports.com/2009/04/a-tough-love-approach-to-an-or.html

He really hasn't swung the bat good in the games that we've played. I told him, 'You've got to turn it up a notch, Billy.' The honeymoon might be over pretty soon. -- Hebner

The interview with Hebner didn't give me a very good feeling about Rowell's chances of realizing his potential...maybe I'm just too pessimistic.

Well....I am not suprised to hear this kinda stuff. I was/am hoping that he turns it on this year and shows us why he was a first rounder, but more and more it seems like Billy Rowell is the reason drafting HS talent in round 1 is so so so dangerous. We get more production from our 43rd round draft pick from last year......

Well....I am not suprised to hear this kinda stuff. I was/am hoping that he turns it on this year and shows us why he was a first rounder, but more and more it seems like Billy Rowell is the reason drafting HS talent in round 1 is so so so dangerous. We get more production from our 43rd round draft pick from last year......

This seems a little forced.

And Jay Bruce and Travis Snider are the reason drafting HS talent in round 1 is so so so rewarding. Nick Markakis wasn't far off from being "HS talent" either, he had only played one year of JuCo after HS when we drafted him.

And Jay Bruce and Travis Snider are the reason drafting HS talent in round 1 is so so so rewarding. Nick Markakis wasn't far off from being "HS talent" either, he had only played one year of JuCo after HS when we drafted him.

Yeah and Kershaw was a HS pick too, but there are college picks that are equally as rewarding and less risk. That is my point.....

No matter what postion you draft (batter or pitcher) or what level (high school, juco, or college) you ARE going to have succesess and bust, to totally neglect a group is a terrible draft stragety. You just have to accept that he won't be able to provide in the majors and hope your next high draft pick will.

I haven't given up on Rowell yet but it's do or die time for him, if he doesn't improve by the end of June then we have a problem. I'm giving him June because he is historically a bad beggining of the season hitter.

On the bright side he has 5 walks to 8 strike outs. That's less then one strike out a game, so he is improving his plate discipline aspect of his game. I do not know what kind of balls he is putting in play, but hopefully the hits will come.

No matter what postion you draft (batter or pitcher) or what level (high school, juco, or college) you ARE going to have succesess and bust, to totally neglect a group is a terrible draft stragety. You just have to accept that he won't be able to provide in the majors and hope your next high draft pick will.

I haven't given up on Rowell yet but it's do or die time for him, if he doesn't improve by the end of June then we have a problem. I'm giving him June because he is historically a bad beggining of the season hitter.

On the bright side he has 5 walks to 8 strike outs. That's less then one strike out a game, so he is improving his plate discipline aspect of his game. I do not know what kind of balls he is putting in play, but hopefully the hits will come.

He is off to a slow start this year too. (8 for 38) .211 BA, 1 HR, 4 RBI, .644 OPS

What struck me most about Rowell was his bat speed. It was sloth-like.

I saw roughly 20 AB last year, his swing seemed to be very Bigbie-esk: long and looping. He didn't impress me at all last year from what I saw personally. I hope he gets it together before the end of the season.

I saw him play recently and, to my veteran baseball watching eyes, he is not good. I actually think if anything some of the rumors about his attitude or lack of effort are completely wrong, it's actually his talent that's highly questionable. Whenever I've seen him he looks focused, serious, and he has even had some good approaches at the plate in terms of adjusting his swing with two strikes. I've seen him be nothing but gracious to fans and little kids seeking his autograph, and although I'm not there for practices I have never seen him talk back to the coaches or anything.

However, he looks completely unathletic to me. Other than being tall, nothing about the guy resembles a professional athlete at all. He's not very well built, he doesn't seem fast or flexible. Even the way he walks - kind of a weird, long-striding duck-walk - seems like something I'd see on a supermarket shelf stocker, not an athlete. When I saw him, his outfield defense was not good, but I know he is still adjusting. He has an OK swing to me, but the ball doesn't seem to jump off his bat. He seems kind of stiff. I just don't see how he could have been a first rounder. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

I saw him play recently and, to my veteran baseball watching eyes, he is not good. I actually think if anything some of the rumors about his attitude or lack of effort are completely wrong, it's actually his talent that's highly questionable. Whenever I've seen him he looks focused, serious, and he has even had some good approaches at the plate in terms of adjusting his swing with two strikes. I've seen him be nothing but gracious to fans and little kids seeking his autograph, and although I'm not there for practices I have never seen him talk back to the coaches or anything.

However, he looks completely unathletic to me. Other than being tall, nothing about the guy resembles a professional athlete at all. He's not very well built, he doesn't seem fast or flexible. Even the way he walks - kind of a weird, long-striding duck-walk - seems like something I'd see on a supermarket shelf stocker, not an athlete. When I saw him, his outfield defense was not good, but I know he is still adjusting. He has an OK swing to me, but the ball doesn't seem to jump off his bat. He seems kind of stiff. I just don't see how he could have been a first rounder. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

You mean a bit like Ted Williams?

Archived