Who Are You .... and what have you done to Bill Rowell?

hoosiers

I just saw him play for the first time and was, quite frankly, shocked at his apparent lack of athleticism. That said, looks can be deceiving. He has big time power in there (just doesn't come out in games, or bp much for that fact) and he has plus arm strength.

The thing that suprised me the most is that he swings his bat on essentially the same "plane" on every swing - regardless of the location of the pitch. He simply CANNOT hit a RH breaking ball. In the Carolina league, w/ 8 teams, it's unlikely he'll have much consistent success until he can figure out how to hit the breaking ball - because that's all most of the teams are going to throw him (once they see he can't hit it).

I have heard that his "attitude" is dramatically better this year compared to previous years, so that's a positive...and hopeful he's finally beginning to understand how difficult it can be at this level.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The title of this topic really should be changed, Billy Rowell never left. The only place he went was to the outfield, he still can't hit.

We will see about that. It's a long year. I went to a game last May when Brandon Snyder's numbers were so-so and wasn't impressed by what I saw that day at all. By the end of the year he was coming on like a freight train. Let's see how the season goes.

We will see about that. It's a long year. I went to a game last May when Brandon Snyder's numbers were so-so and wasn't impressed by what I saw that day at all. By the end of the year he was coming on like a freight train. Let's see how the season goes.

Rowell is definitely walking at a much higher rate now than in previous seasons so that is a big positive. I think his OBP is .100 higher than his avg. right now. He now needs to begin making better contact and continue improving on his walk rate.

I'm happy to see that they are slowing things down a bit with Billy. They were pushing him through the system too hard, hoping they were getting Evan Longoria here. He's not 21 yet and still has time to become a decent player.

Rowell went 3 for 4 with a walk and a strikeout today. I was at the game and it was the first time in 20 plus AB over two years that I had seen him get hits. He struck out looking the first time up (with the bases loaded), walked the second time up, solid single, bloop single down the left field line, and I missed his final AB; box score shows another single.

Great day in Frederick today, the new scoreboard looks good, the new sound system appears to be in place but not operational, and the video board looks the same as last year--I read it is to be replaced before the end of the season too.

Season Stats:

.274 BA

.786 OPS

1 HR

6 RBI

What struck me most about Rowell was his bat speed. It was sloth-like.

Not to discount your observations, it's just a bit surprising that a big/strong 20 year old kid doesn't have quick bat speed. I did everything quick when I was that age. ;)

Not to discount your observations, it's just a bit surprising that a big/strong 20 year old kid doesn't have quick bat speed. I did everything quick when I was that age. ;)

Well, I am discounting all of the observations above.

BR is hitting significantly better than last year and a slow bat would not produce the stats he is putting up now. He may need to work on some things, like his swing path, before he can successfully advance to the majors, but he is a significantly better hitter right now than most of last year - and there is no acknowledgement of that from the eyewitness reports.

Exactly. The main thing is that he is getting some more hits and probably gaining confidence. Just because he's been known for being cocky doesn't mean he's actually confident. His avg up to .282 is hopefully just the start for him.

It almost seems like some people are rooting against him.

I'm copying this from a post I made last year. Last year really wasn't that bad for Rowell.

Take away June and his OPS was over .700, which is pretty good for a 19 year old in that league. His monthly OPS:

Apr .541 (23 AB's)

May .706 (91 AB's)

Jun .538 (81 AB's)

Jul .745 (85 AB's)

Aug .771 (91 AB's)

Sep .500 (4 AB's)

Well, I am discounting all of the observations above.

BR is hitting significantly better than last year and a slow bat would not produce the stats he is putting up now. He may need to work on some things, like his swing path, before he can successfully advance to the majors, but he is a significantly better hitter right now than most of last year - and there is no acknowledgement of that from the eyewitness reports.

He does have slow-ish bat speed compared to a lot of hitting prospects. He's got kind of a long swing, but it's very powerful. He would just need to start his swing earlier than a lot of guys, nothing he couldn't adjust to, just a different style. He is still a long ways off from being a bust, but it's frustrating to see guys from HS that year already in the majors and he's in low A.

He does have slow-ish bat speed compared to a lot of hitting prospects. He's got kind of a long swing, but it's very powerful. He would just need to start his swing earlier than a lot of guys, nothing he couldn't adjust to, just a different style. He is still a long ways off from being a bust, but it's frustrating to see guys from HS that year already in the majors and he's in low A.

The question is, why would we draft a high-schooler with a slow bat?

I have to respectfully disagree with the "slow bat speed" comments.

One issue Rowell does have is some length in his swing. He can hit with a bit of an arm bar which he gets to in his stride (he keeps his hands tied to a place in space as his momentum moves forward, adding some distance from his bat to contact). Maybe that's what people are seeing? A swing that can get a little long?

Archived