Who Are You .... and what have you done to Bill Rowell?

hoosiers

Yeah we'll probably be talking about the kid floundering in another teams system.

And why is that exactly? He will be 21 years old and 3 years from being a minor league FA. So barring being packaged in a trade, why do you think the O's would be giving up on him?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And why is that exactly? He will be 21 years old and 3 years from being a minor league FA. So barring being packaged in a trade, why do you think the O's would be giving up on him?
Don't search for logic in a post like that. Obviously Rowell isn't going anywhere.

Stnwall's involved with the Ironbirds somehow and has obviously had some negative interactions with Rowell in the past (this is pased on previous posts of his, not just this one). So I think that's where his post came from. So I think that takes a bit of credibility away from that post.

That's not meant to be a knock at you, stnwall, you certainly haven't been the only one who's been unimpressed with Rowell's attitude. Hopefully those issues are behind him.

My personal run-ins with Rowell in the past are nominal and not worth talking about. Anything I have stated before has been based on insider knowledge concerning his attitude, confrontations with teammates and coaches and the position change. I have stated numerous times, as a fan, I hope he proves me and many in the front office wrong and develops. My comment, while cynical in natural, was meant to be light-hearted and simply my opinion that he will be packaged in a trade within the next year. I know he is young, but between attitude and the holes in his game, I feel the Orioles will look to up his value and deal him sooner rather than later. That is my opinion, stupid or not, but I am allowed to have it, lord knows I wouldn't be the only one on here.

My personal run-ins with Rowell in the past are nominal and not worth talking about. Anything I have stated before has been based on insider knowledge concerning his attitude, confrontations with teammates and coaches and the position change. I have stated numerous times, as a fan, I hope he proves me and many in the front office wrong and develops. My comment, while cynical in natural, was meant to be light-hearted and simply my opinion that he will be packaged in a trade within the next year. I know he is young, but between attitude and the holes in his game, I feel the Orioles will look to up his value and deal him sooner rather than later. That is my opinion, stupid or not, but I am allowed to have it, lord knows I wouldn't be the only one on here.

It would be nice it you are right and especially if they trade him for a prospect further along in development at a position of need (pitching would be great).:clap3:

It would be nice it you are right and especially if they trade him for a prospect further along in development at a position of need (pitching would be great).:clap3:

Yes. Because if there's anything that we've learned from the first two weeks of the season, it's that there's no minor league pitching depth.

Yes. Because if there's anything that we've learned from the first two weeks of the season, it's that there's no minor league pitching depth.

There may be some depth , that is true, but certainly not as much a surplus as outfielders which I assume that is what Rowell has now become. Furthermore, you can never have too much pitching in the pipeline just due to the nature of how hard it is to develop an actual sucessful one at the big league level.

Furthermore, you can never have too much pitching in the pipeline just due to the nature of how hard it is to develop an actuall sucessful one at the big league level.

That's a really good point.

I've mentioned in a couple threads that I'd like to see us trade for one of Bailey/Gallagher/Hochevar/Sonnanstine/etc., and I've been a little surprised by the ho-hum response this idea has received.

I've mentioned in a couple threads that I'd like to see us trade for one of Bailey/Gallagher/Hochevar/Sonnanstine/etc., and I've been a little surprised by the ho-hum response this idea has received.

I like your idea.:):clap3:

I like your idea.:):clap3:

If pitching is so problematic (and I'm not denying it is) then why use a position prospect (less risky) at his lowest value to try and bring pitching back?

You're not going to get any quality pitching prospects for him on his own, which means you end up bundling value in order to bring back a high-risk arm.

Trade established guys (Scott, Huff, etc.) for multiple pitching prospects? Sure. Trade established pitchers (Guthrie) for multiple prospects? Sure.

But prospect-prospect swaps generally involve swapping risk, and all we're going to do by trading Rowell for arms is end up with equally low-value arms, with more risk than even Billy presents.

I'm not saying we don't need more arms. I'm saying that what Rowell will bring back won't actually add to what we have - they'll just be middling prospects behind our already inventoried higher-ceiling guys.

There may be some depth , that is true, but certainly not as much a surplus as outfielders which I assume that is what Rowell has now become. Furthermore, you can never have too much pitching in the pipeline just due to the nature of how hard it is to develop an actual sucessful one at the big league level.

We have much more pitching depth than all of our positional depth combined. If you are referring to our ML depth that is one thing, but in the minors we are pretty barren as far as position players go. The latter point is a very good (and often overlooked here) one.

It's not that it's a bad idea, the problem is the guys that you want have more value than you think. Teams that are looking to target guys like these are in horrible shape pitching wise and need an improvement, so the teams holding them know they can ask for more. As far as what Rowell has shown to date, he doesn't have nearly the value of any of those guys. This was the problem with SG's plot to trade for Sonnanstine in the offseason, he was ready to give up Reimold + 1 for him, and now 90% of the board here is hinging any offensive hopes we have on Wieters and Reimold being able to produce.

If teams were trying to dump these guys, due to no options or something, that is one thing (Hill comes to mind). But to actively go out and trade for them while they are unproven and it is impossible to gauge their true value is going to make you overpay. It's one thing when you have a marketable trade chip, like Huff, or Roberts or someone, and you are looking for a package of young players to ask for guys like that. But going out and targeting and trying to trade for them 1 for 1 is going to tell that team that you have TONS of interest and they can ask for a lot. Look at Garza, at the time, he was a high potential, shown flashes but not an established guy and it took a former #1 overall pick to land him. (Given he has struggled in MIN, but when the trade was made he was looked at as a 20/20 guy with 30/30 potential)

If pitching is so problematic (and I'm not denying it is) then why use a position prospect (less risky) at his lowest value to try and bring pitching back?

You're not going to get any quality pitching prospects for him on his own, which means you end up bundling value in order to bring back a high-risk arm.

Trade established guys (Scott, Huff, etc.) for multiple pitching prospects? Sure. Trade established pitchers (Guthrie) for multiple prospects? Sure.

But prospect-prospect swaps generally involve swapping risk, and all we're going to do by trading Rowell for arms is end up with equally low-value arms, with more risk than even Billy presents.

I'm not saying we don't need more arms. I'm saying that what Rowell will bring back won't actually add to what we have - they'll just be middling prospects behind our already inventoried higher-ceiling guys.

Same page...same book. Well said.

Archived