Who Are You .... and what have you done to Bill Rowell?

hoosiers

I don't mean to nitpick, Frobby, but you left out the scout also saying he is having a hard time adjusting to the OF position, and is not hitting enough to scream promotion. I just figured if we're going to break down what the scout said, everything should be included.

I didn't mention that stuff because I was responding to Old5fan's jumping to conclusions about Rowell's attitude. The other stuff the scout said isn't germane to that. I'd certainly agree with the scout that Rowell's hitting to date doesn't scream for an early promotion. But he is showing a lot of improvement, and that's all I need to see. I don't expect Rowell to be promoted mid-season unless he is totally dominating the competition. Rowell is in exactly the same position Brandon Erbe was in last year, repeating Frederick at age 20. Erbe stayed all year and made a lot of progress, which he is now carrying to Bowie. That same kind of progress for Rowell is what I am looking for.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well for one thing, all I seem to hear and read are negatives. That is not what I want to see in any highly touted prospect regardless of their age. Root for him all you want, but these reports are disturbing to me.

That's fine, I will root for him cause he is an Oriole prospect. You can root against him.:scratchchinhmm:

Let me give you a little insight on scouts. Out of all the scouts I've talked with over the years, the number one thing they miss most is "body language" and attitude. Players are humans too and there are times they get down and there are times when they don't react well to something. However, it may just have been the time the scout was there.

Now I'm not syaing the scout was right or wrong, but what I will say is that body language is not a good indicator of future performance in my opinion.

As for Rowell, he's doing quite well early on a with the bat and if the power starts to come people will be jumping back on the Rowell train.

Here are some positives to help you start rooting for Rowell.

He is walking once every 8 at-bats as compared to once every 10.4 at-bats last year.

He is on pace for 43 doubles this year.

Comparisons to other Orioles at Frederick

Markakis (21) .300/.379/.480/.859

Snyder (21) .315/.358/.490/.848

Reimold (22) .255/.379/.455/.834

Rowell (20) .288/.367/.413/.779 (of course only 80 ABs in)

All of this while being asked to learn a new position. There is certainly hope for this 20 year old.

Comparisons to other Orioles at Frederick

Markakis (21) .300/.379/.480/.859

Snyder (21) .315/.358/.490/.848

Reimold (22) .255/.379/.455/.834

Rowell (20) .288/.367/.413/.779 (of course only 80 ABs in)

All of this while being asked to learn a new position. There is certainly hope for this 20 year old.

Not only that, but it's early in the year.

Snyder: .229/.278/.325 last April at Frederick

Markakis: .284/.345/.432 in April 2005 at Frederick

Considering how Rowell has looked the last 10 games or so, he could be on the verge of a very good year well beyond what his current numbers are showing, similar to Snyder and Markakis when they were at Frederick.

Not only that, but it's early in the year.

Snyder: .229/.278/.325 last April at Frederick

Markakis: .284/.345/.432 in April 2005 at Frederick

Considering how Rowell has looked the last 10 games or so, he could be on the verge of a very good year well beyond what his current numbers are showing, similar to Snyder and Markakis when they were at Frederick.

Didn't Hebner call out Rowell about two weeks ago basically saying he would like to see the real Rowell, I think he said Rowell was being very timid at the plate. This coincides with Rowell heating up.

Bill was at Spring Training a week before position players. He was working extremely hard at drills the day I watched him. If he is a slacker with a bad attitude, he hid that for an entire day. I think more likely, the "body language" author has an addenda. You know. Like Nestor.

Also, wasn't Rowell drafted with the reputation of being a Cust-like obsessive in the batting cage? This isn't like a kid who plays three sports and gets drafted in baseball and grudgingly plays baseball instead of something else. As far as I know, Rowell is a baseball player, period. I have no idea if he's lost his love of the game, but I would venture to say he hasn't.

Also, wasn't Rowell drafted with the reputation of being a Cust-like obsessive in the batting cage? This isn't like a kid who plays three sports and gets drafted in baseball and grudgingly plays baseball instead of something else. As far as I know, Rowell is a baseball player, period. I have no idea if he's lost his love of the game, but I would venture to say he hasn't.
Yeah, there isn't a term for it, but I remember hearing the exact phrase "the baseball version of a gym rat" in many of the blurbs about him. I think Jordan might've used that phrase as well.

Ever since Rowell came up to the Shorebirds a few years ago, I have never liked him. His ego is as big as a blimp. I hope he gets traded or gets a big time attitude change.
But you don't hope that he plays well for the Orioles.

That's nice.

Yep you're correct, I hope he fails. It's strange how life is -- A few years ago Dustin Yount we had him over for dinner, WOW what a nice guy. Yes sir. Yes ma'am. He even helped us clean the dishes. Baseball career = zilch.

Billy Rowell, comes from a rich family. Ego the size of a blimp. Doesn't care about anyone other than himself. (Of course I don't know about the last few years, this was when he came up with the Shorebirds. I hope he's changed!) I just don't like guys like this -- taking life for granted. I hope he falls flat on his face and learns a lesson.

Kinda like J.J. Reddick over in the NBA. He was a superstar with Duke University, got drafted. First few years he did nothing, too short for his position etc. He recently stated he learned a big lesson those first few years, that he took everything for granted all his life up till then. He changed his attitude and things are looking better for him now. I hope the same thing happens with Rowell.

Yep you're correct, I hope he fails. It's strange how life is -- A few years ago Dustin Yount we had him over for dinner, WOW what a nice guy. Yes sir. Yes ma'am. He even helped us clean the dishes. Baseball career = zilch.

Billy Rowell, comes from a rich family. Ego the size of a blimp. Doesn't care about anyone other than himself. (Of course I don't know about the last few years, this was when he came up with the Shorebirds. I hope he's changed!) I just don't like guys like this -- taking life for granted. I hope he falls flat on his face and learns a lesson.

Dude is 20 years old. There are ways of learning without falling flat on your face- and those ways are CERTAINLY still available when you're 20. It's a shame you'd wish that on anybody, especially a potential talent on the team you root for.

Dude is 20 years old. There are ways of learning without falling flat on your face- and those ways are CERTAINLY still available when you're 20. It's a shame you'd wish that on anybody, especially a potential talent on the team you root for.

Well said, but I don't think there is any point in arguing.

Archived