Shutting Guthrie Down

diego

As i have said, his secondary pitches are not that great.

The potential for them is pretty good but they are every inconsistent. One game they look very good and another game they look very flat.

My guess is this is why he has never been much of a MiL pitcher.

One thing not talked about a lot on here is the flat out poor approach that a lot of teams had against Guthrie early on.

His command was great but teams still helped him out but not working the count or things like that.

Teams are doing that more and more...The more pitches he throws, the worse his command gets.

If his secondary pitches are going to keep being inconsistent and if his command isn't going to be that great, then he is going to have a lot of trouble.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guthrie's velocity didn't seem down last night. I recall specifically that he reached back and threw one at 98, and I saw quite a few fastballs in the 94-96 range. He also threw strikes pretty consistently.

The biggest problem I saw was that he is hanging his curveball a lot. That pitch just has no bite for him right now. Is that from fatigue? I don't know.

I didn't see the one that was 98 but i definitely saw some in the low to mid 90s as well.

As i have said, his secondary pitches are not that great.

The potential for them is pretty good but they are every inconsistent. One game they look very good and another game they look very flat.

I think his changeup has been pretty decent lately, but he doesn't throw it often enough. His offspeed stuff has been inconsistent, but can be very effective at times.

One thing not talked about a lot on here is the flat out poor approach that a lot of teams had against Guthrie early on.

I think I was the first to notice this

If we don't trade Trachsel, we have Bedard, Burres, Cabrera, Guthrie, Olson and Trachsel here as potential starters. Keep Bedard, Cabrera and Olson in turn, and split the remaining two slots among three starters. Use Burres, Guthrie and Trachsel as essentially swingmen, and make sure that Burres and Guthrie get plenty of rest.

He definitely wasn't hitting 98. He was working in the 88-91 range for the 2 seamer and hit 94 for his 4seamer

I said I saw him hit 98 once. And he did. It was to a lefty and it was a ball high and outside, and he clearly overthrew on that pitch, but he did hit 98. I'm not making it up. :rolleyes:

I also said he was working around 94 for his four seamer.

The reality is that he needs to tough it out and get to around 190 innings this year so he can go deep next year, etc. This is the price we pay for developing young talent like Guts.

Skipping a start may get him over the hump but having him cut some of his workouts on off days and sides could be all it takes. Less time exerting and more time recovering. Just a thought.

And I'm all for giving him credit against the red hot Yankees. He was good but they were better.

He definitely wasn't hitting 98. He was working in the 88-91 range for the 2 seamer and hit 94 for his 4seamer

I watched on YES and it appeared according to their gun that he was working consistently 94-95. Touched 97-98 a couple of times. Occasionally, late in the game, at 91-93 with his two-seamer.

Velocity was good. Just not electric like before. The real problem was sporadic command issues -- not constant, but he was leaving too many balls over the plate, even when his location was otherwise pretty good.

I watched on YES and it appeared according to their gun that he was working consistently 94-95. Touched 97-98 a couple of times. Occasionally, late in the game, at 91-93 with his two-seamer.

Velocity was good. Just not electric like before. The real problem was sporadic command issues -- not constant, but he was leaving too many balls over the plate, even when his location was otherwise pretty good.

Well MASN's gun is way off then

Archived