After Two Weeks of Pie...

Frobby

Reading between the lines, Pie hasn't learned all the ins and outs of LF yet. The people who say his defense will offset any offensive struggles seem to think he'll be a great LF right away, but I'm not so sure it will come that quickly. So if he makes a few mistakes in the field, and also hits poorly at first, we're going to be hearing almost immediately how the O's made a mistake, etc.

I say we have to give this a few months at least. When the season's half over, it will be time to begin evaluating how this is going. No, I don't think he just gets an uninterrupted year no matter how he's doing. 3 months is a good time to evaluate him IMO. Both Markakis and Jones were making noticeable progress by then, and Pie should be, too, even if he's not all the way there yet.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reading between the lines, Pie hasn't learned all the ins and outs of LF yet. The people who say his defense will offset any offensive struggles seem to think he'll be a great LF right away, but I'm not so sure it will come that quickly. So if he makes a few mistakes in the field, and also hits poorly at first, we're going to be hearing almost immediately how the O's made a mistake, etc.

I say we have to give this a few months at least. When the season's half over, it will be time to begin evaluating how this is going. No, I don't think he just gets an uninterrupted year no matter how he's doing. 3 months is a good time to evaluate him IMO. Both Markakis and Jones were making noticeable progress by then, and Pie should be, too, even if he's not all the way there yet.

Only by the clueless.

We'll see how it shakes out.

I'm optimistic that left field in OPACY will be a bit easier for Pie than left field in Ft. Lauderdale given the wind differencials.

I have little doubt that he'll be a fine defensive left fielder. The bigger question is his bat. Here's hoping we can manage to deal Luke Scott to free up some room for Reimold.

I see no problem in giving him 3 months in LF to see how he can progress as an everyday player, which has yet to happen at the MLB level.

I would see a problem if we did the opposite, actually.

3 months isn't enough time.

I have no issue with them sitting him versus lefties, especially tough lefties...But other than that, he should be out there everyday all year long.

He needs to get at least 400 at bats(assuming health)..He needs REGULAR playing time. People always bring up his poor showing in the majors...Cite his number of at bats but never do they talk about the regularity of those at bats.

Let's take last year for example:

March 31-April 4(Cubs first 4 games)- 15 at bats

Then, the rest of April, he only got 3 or more at bats in a game 5 times...That is a span of 23 games....In the other 18 games, he had 11 at bats.

Then, in the month of may, he had 19 at bats in the 13 games he was a MLer that month.

So, take away those initial 15 at bats to start the season, Pie had 44 at bats in 36 games...How is a young player supposed to get into a rhythm that way?

How could anyone expect him to be good under those circumstances?

Also, let's remember that all of his ML time came at age 23 or younger.

I have no issue with them sitting him versus lefties, especially tough lefties...But other than that, he should be out there everyday all year long.

He needs to get at least 400 at bats(assuming health)..He needs REGULAR playing time. People always bring up his poor showing in the majors...Cite his number of at bats but never do they talk about the regularity of those at bats.

Then, the rest of April, he only got 3 or more at bats in a game 5 times...That is a span of 23 games....In the other 18 games, he had 11 at bats.

Then, in the month of may, he had 19 at bats in the 13 games he was a MLer that month.

So, take away those initial 15 at bats to start the season, Pie had 44 at bats in 36 games...How is a young player supposed to get into a rhythm that way?

Oh, I agree, I was just addressing the OP. Pie has never been given a fair shake at the major league level, we have some making up to do.

You can't fault his number in Chicago when he was playing so sparingly and I'm sure he knew that no matter how well he played he wasn't going to be given any extra innings.

It would be a shame to see him become this year's target after only a few weeks, but I have a feeling that those who live to rip, will prove you right. People that know baseball will allow him the time to adjust.

Great Post!! Sweet Lou is a tough manager for any young player and based on your research it is clear that Pie has not had any where near a fair chance. Let's make sure he get's 500 AB's and see where he is then.

SG is right, the guy needs a lot of time. 3 months won't tell the whole story...he needs to show improvement over that time.

Unfortunately, JTrea and his Merry Men are gonna be all over him from Day 1. According to them the book has already been written on Felix Pie and we're wasting time.

Well, this team (even it's owner) has all but pointed toward 2010 as to when they hope to be competitive. So, they should do with Pie what they did with Adam Jones. Pencil him in the line-up as often as possible and let him get as many at bats as possible (whether it be left or right handed pitching).

SG is right, the guy needs a lot of time. 3 months won't tell the whole story...he needs to show improvement over that time.

Unfortunately, JTrea and his Merry Men are gonna be all over him from Day 1. According to them the book has already been written on Felix Pie and we're wasting time.

I don't know who died and left Pie as the king of left field. Others are supposed to languish in the minors learning defense while Pie is apparently guaranteed a year in the majors learning how to hit. Go figure.

I don't know who died and left Pie as the king of left field. Others are supposed to languish in the minors learning defense while Pie is apparently guaranteed a year in the majors learning how to hit. Go figure.

His options died.

Scrat1 wins the thread.

It's not as simple as "This guy did the best in spring training, he gets the job."

Archived