After Two Weeks of Pie...

Frobby

His options died.

I think I have reached the point where I am no longer going to explain to people why Reimold and Bergesen were sent down. I mean . . . punching a brick wall is just not interesting and doesn't get anyone anywhere. It is fairly obvious why these moves were done, so I am not sure how else to explain it. I think the people who are still crying and wailing about it just will not get it.

Eh.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is indeed a great write up.

Some agendas that people cling to around here are just awful.

Agenda is the wrong word. I think the proper term is emotional adherence. I think folks attach themselves to an emotional state and then back track logically why that is the right view. I mean, look at the data some people come up with. It often reads like a high school essay where you find opposing points of view that are easy to tear apart and only present information that supports your point of view. I don't think people are trying to trick each other, I just think that they are so emotionally certain over something they strap on the blinders.

Agenda is the wrong word. I think the proper term is emotional adherence. I think folks attach themselves to an emotional state and then back track logically why that is the right view. I mean, look at the data some people come up with. It often reads like a high school essay where you find opposing points of view that are easy to tear apart and only present information that supports your point of view. I don't think people are trying to trick each other, I just think that they are so emotionally certain over something they strap on the blinders.

Good call.

Is it possible that Jtrea will read this and agree with any part of it? Seems like a no brainer.

No chance.

That is indeed a great write up.

Some agendas that people cling to around here are just awful.

If I understand this ...... our Orioles trade for a one-time prospect who has been abandoned by his previous team, and who has yet to demonstrate that he is an adequate major league hitter, and we award him a season-long try-out as our left-fielder simply because he is out of options?

I think you have to review your own agenda. That life raft is going down for the third time.

I'd love to think that he'll sometime learn how to get to first base. Meanwhile, I'd rather see real hitters in our line-up.

Agenda is the wrong word. I think the proper term is emotional adherence. I think folks attach themselves to an emotional state and then back track illogically why that is the right view. I mean, look at the data some people come up with. It often reads like a high school essay where you find opposing points of view that are easy to tear apart and only present information that supports your point of view. I don't think people are trying to trick each other, I just think that they are so emotionally certain over something they strap on the blinders.

I fixed that part for you. There's little logic in much of the anti-FO rhetoric as the arguments are based on every kind of fallacy from generalization to personal bias. I think giving Pie a chance, with Reimold's subsequent demotion, is the right move because one has an option, while the other does not. If Pie puts it together, it will be seen as a success, if not, he'll be another FO mistake. It's not logical to think that way, but many of the responses on this board fall into that category.

Besides, if people think Pie doesn't deserve a spot based on ST, then neither does Penn nor did AJones after his poor production before coming to B'more.

Yet small sample sizes and upside are the things that should keep people from jumping to conclusions about Pie's potential.

If I understand this ...... our Orioles trade for a one-time prospect who has been abandoned by his previous team' date=' and who has yet to demonstrate that he is an adequate major league hitter, and we award him a season-long try-out as our left-fielder simply because he is out of options?

I think you have to review your own agenda. That life raft is going down for the third time.

I'd love to think that he'll sometime learn how to get to first base. Meanwhile, I'd rather see real hitters in our line-up.[/quote']

Thats cool, I guess you wanted us to sit Jones last year too since he was a little rough around the edges.

Did you want to send Markakis back down after he struggled initially in 2006?

The thing that you're failing to understand is that the Cubs never gave the guy steady at bats over two years.

Who's to say that Montanez and Reimold are real hitters too? They've had just as much ML playing time as Pie has, if not less.

It's not that I have an agenda...actually, for the record I don't think Pie will pan out, but at least I'm looking forward to seeing if he can prove me wrong....you're just ready to write him off after a few short stints with the Cubs.

I guess I'll have to weigh in on the side of "clueless" on this one. I don't think trading Olson for Pie was advisable. Not that Olson is the next Carlton, but I predict the Pie experiment will end regretfully. While I understand the whole potential thing, I think it is easily argued that Reimold has proven his major league READINESS moreso than Pie. I also think the Cubs would have cut Felix and we could have signed him to a minor league contract. That's where he belongs. I know, I know he has played three years at AAA, but he doesn't have the numbers I want to see from a corner outfielder.

No, I'm not a JTrea henchman, just an independent thinker who cringes at this plan. Otherwise, I'm on board with everything Andy is doing.

Unfortunately, JTrea and his Merry Men are gonna be all over him from Day 1. According to them the book has already been written on Felix Pie and we're wasting time.

JTrea has Merry Men? If their JTrea's, how Merry can they possibly be? (Or are they just wearing green tights and cute pointy booties that have fluffy tassles on the big toes?)

I've read up about Pie, but I never saw him play. So, I don't know what I'll think then. But I do remember when Nick just started. He was playing some days and not playing other days. One day he was in LF, then he'd sit, and the next day he'd be in RF or CF, and then he sit some more. Meanwhile, it took the league's P's about 10 minutes to figure out that all they had to do was jam him, so he was hitting something like .182, and some folks were saying he was a ST mirage and needed to go back down. But when you actually watched the guy and paid attention, you could just tell. So, I was fussing that they just need to put him in RF and leave him there every damn day, let him work with Crow, and he'd be just fine. Which is exactly what they did, albeit about 2 months later than I wanted. We can all agree that turned out fine.

Now, I don't know what I'll think when I get to see Pie. But based on what I've read, I wouldn't be surprise if I wind up with the same basic kind of opinion. So, for the moment anyway, I vote for putting him in LF, leaving him there every day for 3 or 4 months, and then see. Maybe he's the AJ-clone that his MiL numbers make him appear to be, or maybe not. Beats me. But it seems like the perfect time to to find out. As best I can tell, there's no good reason to not do it. It's really the only way to find out what's what. So, I vote for giving him an everyday job, having him work with Crow like Nick did to fix whatever's wrong, and then just STFU until the AS break, and see how it looks then.

If I understand this

You dont.

...... our Orioles trade for a one-time prospect

Nope, he's still a prospect.

who has been abandoned by his previous team, and who has yet to demonstrate that he is an adequate major league hitter

This part is actually true.

and we award him a season-long try-out as our left-fielder

The season hasn't even started yet. We have no idea if this is true (although it should be.)

simply because he is out of options?

No, that's completely wrong. It's because a year ago he was one of the top prospects in baseball, and there's a very real chance that all he needs is an opportunity. Chicago wants to win now, so they don't have time to find out. But the O's will not be contending, so they have the time. In fact, that's the entire point of 2009.

Not sure what that life raft thing means. Meanwhile, you should probably ask yourself that first part.

I'd love to think that he'll sometime learn how to get to first base. Meanwhile, I'd rather see real hitters in our line-up.

Sorry, didn't realize you were on the O's. What position do you play?

Archived