Aubrey Huff: His Orioles Future...

Greg Pappas

Considering that Raul Ibanez got a 3/31.5M contract, what do you think the chances are of Huff accepting arbitration? I'd say slim and none. He's likely to get a 3/30 contract if he puts up another season like last.

I really don't know. I think it would be a gamble either way. Though it's clear that the Phillies overpaid for Ibanez, who's almost as poor a defender as Adam Dunn.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never said AM wouldn't consider a trade, I just said he wouldn't trade him. The obvious reason is that Huff is worth more to us than he can get for him.

You disagree, that's fine. Let's bet: I say Huff doesn't get traded at the deadline. What would you care to bet? Sig lines for the rest of the season? Or are you gonna back-pedal again?

LOL..truly pathetic.

Can you please point out to me where I have said that Huff will definitely be dealt?

To be honest with you, I don't think he will get dealt because I don't think he is going to have some monster first half where a team is going to want him and his salary.

Here is what I will bet you on..I will bet you that Huff will not be an Oriole in 2010.

Considering that Raul Ibanez got a 3/31.5M contract, what do you think the chances are of Huff accepting arbitration? I'd say slim and none. He's likely to get a 3/30 contract if he puts up another season like last.

Ibanez is a good comp...Him and BRadley...I don't see Huff getting less than either of them if he duplicates what he did last year.

In a market where there's no unilateral action, where there are transaction costs, and where there are artificial time constraints, betting against the status quo is a dumb bet. Which you well know. Why pull it out like some kind of litmus test?

Been reading Baltimoron's econ thread recently? ;)

One thing that I do think about Huff(and I think this is in agreement to something Rshack is getting at) is that it is a good litmus test for AM.

IF Huff is having a big first half and the players offered for Huff are good but not elite young guys, what will AM do in that instance?

Let's say he can acquire guys like David Hernandez...Guys with big upside but players who are more likely to be role players as opposed to the top top guys on the team...Another guy like Albers also...Someone along those lines.

Say we got offered 2-3 of those types players, does AM pull the trigger on that or does he gamble that he won't accept arbitration and take the picks or does he extend him?

That will be an interesting situation to watch.

I think there are 2 aspects of this that can't be overlooked...Synder and Reimold.

If they are tearing it up, it makes it a lot easier to trade Aubrey.

One thing that I do think about Huff(and I think this is in agreement to something Rshack is getting at) is that it is a good litmus test for AM.

IF Huff is having a big first half and the players offered for Huff are good but not elite young guys, what will AM do in that instance?

Let's say he can acquire guys like David Hernandez...Guys with big upside but players who are more likely to be role players as opposed to the top top guys on the team...Another guy like Albers also...Someone along those lines.

Say we got offered 2-3 of those types players, does AM pull the trigger on that or does he gamble that he won't accept arbitration and take the picks or does he extend him?

That will be an interesting situation to watch.

I think there are 2 aspects of this that can't be overlooked...Synder and Reimold.

If they are tearing it up, it makes it a lot easier to trade Aubrey.

If we can get three Hernandezes, I absolutely make that trade. Regardless of Snyder and Reimold's status.

If we can get three Hernandezes, I absolutely make that trade. Regardless of Snyder and Reimold's status.

But what if you can only get 2?

Personally, I make the trade.

Another thing that could impact this is what is going on with the economy this summer and how they think it will effect contracts in the offseason...this could make their decision either much easier or much harder.

The problem is that we'll never know. Whatever gets discussed on AM's phone is info we won't have access to, except for any transactions that actually get done. We won't have any way to know what he might have said no to. So, all we can really go by is what actually happens. All the other stuff is just rumorama.

But what if you can only get 2?

Personally, I make the trade.

Another thing that could impact this is what is going on with the economy this summer and how they think it will effect contracts in the offseason...this could make their decision either much easier or much harder.

Probably, yeah.

Looking at the current 1B/DH market, and the general bias towards young, cheap players, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to accept arbitration. And that's not even factoring in the economy, although I thought that'd be a major factor this year and Raul Freaking Ibanez still got an absurd contract. So what do I know?

Anyway, that's why I am strongly in favor of trading him if there's any kind of market at all.

Archived