Questioning MacPhail's moves...

NewMarketSean

- Adam Eaton was "targeted" during the offseason. Keyword is target but we don't know how much stock he put in Eaton, ever. Did he target him as an Esteban Loaiza resurrection project? Or a place holder for one of the kids? The bottom line is that AM wanted Eaton for whatever reason and mentioned Eaton's quality starts last year as a positive. So far Eaton has been horrendous and everyone but AM knew he would be, even for a place holder.

- Mark Hendrickson was signed because "he throws strikes". Meanwhile, Hendrickson leads the team in walks with 9 in 14 IP and needed 102 pitches to get through 5 IP today.

- Trading Hayden Penn. Despite walking Daniel Cabrera, Penn has not allowed a run in 6 IP. As the pitching looks worse and worse, so will this trade. AM decided to go with the likes of Brian Bass, Adam Eaton and Mark Hendrickson over a 24 year old Penn.

- Keeping Ryan Freel on roster. Yeah, he was a salary dump on the Reds side of the Ramon Hernandez trade. But AM could have eaten Freel's salary and been happy with getting back Justin Turner. Freel is completely redundant on this team and the O's desperately need a power RH bat off the bench. Meanwhile he's been vocal about his limited role on the team. However, I do hope he is OK after getting hit on the head today.

Those are the biggest ones I can point to thus far. Am I missing any? Do you disagree with any of these?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- Adam Eaton was "targeted" during the offseason. Keyword is target but we don't know how much stock he put in Eaton, ever. Did he target him as an Esteban Loaiza resurrection project? Or a place holder for one of the kids? The bottom line is that AM wanted Eaton for whatever reason and mentioned Eaton's quality starts last year as a positive. So far Eaton has been horrendous and everyone but AM knew he would be, even for a place holder.

- Mark Hendrickson was signed because "he throws strikes". Meanwhile, Hendrickson leads the team in walks with 9 in 14 IP and needed 102 pitches to get through 5 IP today.

- Trading Hayden Penn. Despite walking Daniel Cabrera, Penn has not allowed a run in 6 IP. As the pitching looks worse and worse, so will this trade. AM decided to go with the likes of Brian Bass, Adam Eaton and Mark Hendrickson over a 24 year old Penn.

- Keeping Ryan Freel on roster. Yeah, he was a salary dump on the Reds side of the Ramon Hernandez trade. But AM could have eaten Freel's salary and been happy with getting back Justin Turner. Freel is completely redundant on this team and the O's desperately need a power RH bat off the bench. Meanwhile he's been vocal about his limited role on the team. However, I do hope he is OK after getting hit on the head today.

Those are the biggest ones I can point to thus far. Am I missing any? Do you disagree with any of these?

Yeah, I agree with yours but you are also missing another obvious one and that is the Pie/Olson trade. Pie was needed like a hole in the head. I blame McPhail for his propensity to being overly enamored with failed Cub prospects, although I do think Scott Moore is one who should be looked at again, as he could eventually replace the aging and injury prone Mora at third.

I don't think Hendrickson was signed to "throw strikes"; I think he was signed as a long reliever who could start in a pinch and unfortunately we were pinched immediately. So even though I was split on the move (didn't mind the player, didn't like the contract), I don't think that's a "bad" move like you're trying to suggest.

Even with the Penn trade, it's early and Andino so far in his limited time hasn't looked too bad. But, I think that can stay.

The other two...yeah, they aren't good.

I don't think Hendrickson was signed to "throw strikes"; I think he was signed as a long reliever who could start in a pinch and unfortunately we were pinched immediately. So even though I was split on the move (didn't mind the player, didn't like the contract), I don't think that's a "bad" move like you're trying to suggest.

Even with the Penn trade, it's early and Andino so far in his limited time hasn't looked too bad. But, I think that can stay.

The other two...yeah, they aren't good.

This post is right on! :agree:

Yeah, I agree with yours but you are also missing another obvious one and that is the Pie/Olson trade. Pie was needed like a hole in the head. I blame McPhail for his propensity to being overly enamored with failed Cub prospects, although I do think Scott Moore is one who should be looked at again, as he could eventually replace the aging and injury prone Mora at third.

What's Olson doing now? Olson had his chance and did nothing with it. We got a troubled but talented player in Pie for Olson, which is all we could gave gotten. He wouldn't improve this staff. He'd make it worse.

Penn was traded before we knew what he could really do.

The Penn move was definitely puzzling, but in all fairness he was AWFUL in spring training.

Freel needs to go. There are two options:

1. Pay him and have him unhappy on the team with no role and sucking at hitting

2. Pay him and release him and bring up Montanez who can hat and will be happy to be here.

Without commenting on any of these moves I'll just say that our schedule is extremely tough to start the season (so the runs per game should come down a bit). But, should we continue to receive these types of pitching performances the changes we all expect will come sooner than later.

But, give it a few more weeks. Then we'll know where this team is headed.

Without commenting on any of these moves I'll just say that our schedule is extremely tough to start the season (so the runs per game should come down a bit). But, should we continue to receive these types of pitching performances the changes we all expect will come sooner than later.

But, give it a few more weeks. Then we'll know where this team is headed.

I have to do this with the draft coming up...

J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

_45412649_namath512.jpg

-

Penn has not allowed a run in 6 IP.

Congratulations, he is definitely HOF bound, and we are stupid for letting this guy go, we did not give this guy 100 chances, nooooo, never :rolleyes:

I bet Penn's ERA will be worse then Hendrickson's in a month. I hope he keeps it up, that is fine, but it is not our fault. If D-Cab goes on to win a Cy Young, I will not be mad at Andy, Cabrera was never going to do it here. Penn is not going to keep this up. He would not be worth anything to us.

Trust in Andy, these 4 moves we are criticizing only show me, how good he really has done. None of these will ever hurt the franchise, they are meaningless, yet the biggest ones you, or any of us can come up with. This thread is encouraging.

Only one I really agree with is Eaton. I don't like the concept that we not only targeted him, but then pursued him after his release.

Other than that I'd give it another few weeks or so.

In regards to Penn, he is pitching in an enormous ballpark now. That will help him, no matter what. I don't have a feeling either way about that trade.

As for Eaton, he isn't that good, but we didn't have tons of other choices to start the season. That is still no excuse, save that he was cheap for the O's. However, there were two other guys that we had the best offer out to. The problem was that they chose against Baltimore.

I agree with but don't care about Freel getting playing time. Ideally that'd be someone else, but I understand being reluctant to throw money down the drain, and he did make sense for the team before we got Pie. I feel the same way about Eaton and Hendrickson, actually. They were signed as warm bodies for the rotation, that's all.

If I could change two things, it'd be Pie/Olson and Penn/Andino. Oh well.

Archived