He's a LOOGY!

Lt Melmo

Once again, Trembley pushes the wrong buttons in a game the Orioles should have won.

I understand Uehara did give up a HR, but he did get the next out and there were two outs with the bases empty and Davis due up. Davis was 0-2 vs. Uehara and Koji was at 92 pitches.

Trembley brings in Walker, who can't get Davis. So then he brings in Ray who labors for the last out, forcing JJ to come in to pitch the 8th after pitching last night. JJ understandably isn't as sharp, gives up another run, and that forces Trembley to have Sherrill to come in with the bases juiced for a four out save after he'd pitched an inning the night before.

Sherrill does strike out the batter, and we go to the ninth. Sherrill has one out. He has to get four total. He gets two, but can't get the third before giving a single to Kinsler up a go-ahead HR to Young. Those first two should have been the save.

Had Trembley pitched Uehara one more batter, he could have saved Walker. Ray could have pitched the 8th with a two run lead and Trembley could have Walker and JJ both available in that inning. And Sherrill would have only had to get three outs.

Trembley's bullpen management cost us this game tonight. Granted Sherrill didn't deliever, but asking him to get four outs after pitching an inning the night before was just too much. And had Ray pitched the 8th, perhaps Sherrill would have a two run lead to work with and then it would have only been a tie game.

I agree 100% Uehara should have finished the inning, Ray for the 8th and then Sherril 9th...

However the bigger issue to me is the fact that they are keeping Sherril as the closer, he is a LOOGY and not a closer, put JJ or Ray as closer now.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Once again, Trembley pushes the wrong buttons in a game the Orioles should have won.

I understand Uehara did give up a HR, but he did get the next out and there were two outs with the bases empty and Davis due up. Davis was 0-2 vs. Uehara and Koji was at 92 pitches.

Trembley brings in Walker, who can't get Davis. So then he brings in Ray who labors for the last out, forcing JJ to come in to pitch the 8th after pitching last night. JJ understandably isn't as sharp, gives up another run, and that forces Trembley to have Sherrill to come in with the bases juiced for a four out save after he'd pitched an inning the night before.

Sherrill does strike out the batter, and we go to the ninth. Sherrill has one out. He has to get four total. He gets two, but can't get the third before giving a single to Kinsler up a go-ahead HR to Young. Those first two should have been the save.

Had Trembley pitched Uehara one more batter, he could have saved Walker. Ray could have pitched the 8th with a two run lead and Trembley could have Walker and JJ both available in that inning. And Sherrill would have only had to get three outs.

Trembley's bullpen management cost us this game tonight. Granted Sherrill didn't deliever, but asking him to get four outs after pitching an inning the night before was just too much. And had Ray pitched the 8th, perhaps Sherrill would have a two run lead to work with and then it would have only been a tie game.

Trea... JJ was coming into the 8th regardless. He's our set-up man and he was going to be brought in, not Ray.

I also would've left Uehara in, but I understand why they took him out. He was starting to get hit hard and rather the put himself in a position to lose the game, why not let him walk off the field proud of his performance, to a standing O and get a reliever in there?

Even if Uehara got the out, JJ was coming in for the 8th.

I have a different theory.

It's baseball... things like this happen.

While this is true, ideally Sherrill against Kinsler and Young isn't the matchup you want.

That being said, Sherrill threw the ball well tonight but still, it would have been nice to be able to use Ray or JJ against Kinsler and Young.

Jim Johnson shouldn't have been in this game. Why Ray was brought out after only recording one out is beyond me.

It was a clear case of DT over managing because of that stupid "role" thing. Hargrove and Perlozzo used to do that stupid stuff as well and it cost them a lot of games. Somebody ought to question Trembley after the game why he took Ray out after one batter to bring in a guy who wasn't very good tonight when he needed to be.

Trembley may have his positives and what not, but managing a bullpen is not one of them. GS was a decent option when there were no other options to close, but we have those other options now and GS should be moved to a role to get out key lefties. Our bullpen is garbage when Walker is our only option to bring in to get out the tough lefties.

How obvious is it that Trembley has NO confidence in Walker. A check swing bunt and he pulls Walker. Won't let him pitch to a right handed batter at all. We need Hill back, Hendrickson in the pen and Walker using his Walker at home.

Trea... JJ was coming into the 8th regardless. He's our set-up man and he was going to be brought in, not Ray.

I don't believe in strict roles. Of course you can have a closer and a set-up man but when you've got a guy in Ray, who has been both, and you take him out after 1/3 of an inning for a guy who pitched the night before... I don't like forcing players into roles like that.

Disgusting.

The bigger question is how on Earth do you throw 8 straight fastballs to their two best right handed hitters?!?!??!!

That is just horrible decision making. You can't expect to get away with crap like that at this level when your fastball is 88-91 mph.

That is what I came on here to say. 89 mph fastball after 89 mph fastball.....guess what....a major league hitter is going to catch up to that.

I was sitting there yelling "where is the curve ball"? It was working so well too.

I didn't see GS shake off any pitches off of the last 3 hitters he faced so I gotta think Zaun called it.........his stock is dropping.......quick.

While this is true, ideally Sherrill against Kinsler and Young isn't the matchup you want.

That being said, Sherrill threw the ball well tonight but still, it would have been nice to be able to use Ray or JJ against Kinsler and Young.

My reply was probably aimed more at the fact that there were immediately 4 reactive threads after the final out. It gets old.

Archived