He's a LOOGY!

Lt Melmo

If Johnson could just have done his job and not caused Sherrill have to come into the 8th inning because of it, then Young doesn't hit the dramatic game winner.

I blame Johnson more than Sherrill for this loss.

This bullpen is terrible in close games. They need to pick up any starter when they pitch as well as Kojie did, not blow it for them!:angryfire:

If Izturis had made the play on a slow grounder instead of stumbling then JJ wouldn't have given up any runs.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Ty Wigginton doesn't strand 6 runners, the Orioles win that game.

If George Sherrill does his job, the Orioles win that game.

If Izturis makes a good play in the bottom of the 8th, the Orioles win that game.

If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass a hoppin'.

If you pin this loss on anyone other than Sherrill's decision to pump fastballs to the 2 best right handed hitters in their lineup... well, whatever, Bundy. Go Polk!!!!!!!

Once again, Trembley pushes the wrong buttons in a game the Orioles should have won.

I understand Uehara did give up a HR, but he did get the next out and there were two outs with the bases empty and Davis due up. Davis was 0-2 vs. Uehara and Koji was at 92 pitches.

Trembley brings in Walker, who can't get Davis. So then he brings in Ray who labors for the last out, forcing JJ to come in to pitch the 8th after pitching last night. JJ understandably isn't as sharp, gives up another run, and that forces Trembley to have Sherrill to come in with the bases juiced for a four out save after he'd pitched an inning the night before.

Sherrill does strike out the batter, and we go to the ninth. Sherrill has one out. He has to get four total. He gets two, but can't get the third before giving a single to Kinsler up a go-ahead HR to Young. Those first two should have been the save.

Had Trembley pitched Uehara one more batter, he could have saved Walker. Ray could have pitched the 8th with a two run lead and Trembley could have Walker and JJ both available in that inning. And Sherrill would have only had to get three outs.

Trembley's bullpen management cost us this game tonight. Granted Sherrill didn't deliever, but asking him to get four outs after pitching an inning the night before was just too much. And had Ray pitched the 8th, perhaps Sherrill would have a two run lead to work with and then it would have only been a tie game.

Walker gave up a check swinging bunt. C'mon. Then there was the "basehit' that should have been an error on Itzturis that would have gotten JJ out of the 8th with no runs. I mean, seriously, he stated publicly what his bullpen roles were, you can't then not follow through on that in a close game when your bullpen is rested. Trembley did the right thing, Texas is a great offensive team.

Coming in to tonight's game right handed batters had the following numbers against Sherrill this year:

.412 BA

.444 OBP

.706 SLG

It is by definition managerial malpractice for Trembley to bring him into a one-run game to face four right handed hitters in a row. It would have been a miracle if the Rangers hadn't scored.

Go ahead and yawn, but there has been plenty of this under Trembley's reign

And every other managers reign. I am not sticking up for DT, but this is freaking baseball. Poop happens. It is just one loss.

If we want to point fingers.....Ty Wigginton was brutal tonight..

But it is much easier to blame the game on one person, so lets pick DT... :rolleyes:

No manager is perfect, but stuff like this happens around baseball every night....

While this is true, ideally Sherrill against Kinsler and Young isn't the matchup you want.

That being said, Sherrill threw the ball well tonight but still, it would have been nice to be able to use Ray or JJ against Kinsler and Young.

Thank you. I'm speechless

Once again, Trembley pushes the wrong buttons in a game the Orioles should have won.

I understand Uehara did give up a HR, but he did get the next out and there were two outs with the bases empty and Davis due up. Davis was 0-2 vs. Uehara and Koji was at 92 pitches.

Trembley brings in Walker, who can't get Davis. So then he brings in Ray who labors for the last out, forcing JJ to come in to pitch the 8th after pitching last night. JJ understandably isn't as sharp, gives up another run, and that forces Trembley to have Sherrill to come in with the bases juiced for a four out save after he'd pitched an inning the night before.

Sherrill does strike out the batter, and we go to the ninth. Sherrill has one out. He has to get four total. He gets two, but can't get the third before giving a single to Kinsler up a go-ahead HR to Young. Those first two should have been the save.

Had Trembley pitched Uehara one more batter, he could have saved Walker. Ray could have pitched the 8th with a two run lead and Trembley could have Walker and JJ both available in that inning. And Sherrill would have only had to get three outs.

Trembley's bullpen management cost us this game tonight. Granted Sherrill didn't deliever, but asking him to get four outs after pitching an inning the night before was just too much. And had Ray pitched the 8th, perhaps Sherrill would have a two run lead to work with and then it would have only been a tie game.

I totally agree with this, but I bet DT makes no mention of it in his post game at all.

Sherrill doesn't have closer stuff. His FB is 88 MPH tops. His breaking balls can be devastating but he's too hit or miss with them to be a closer. Don't get me wrong, I love Flat Breezy... Mr. Excitement... whatever you want to call him, but not as the closer! I have never been sold on him as a closer from the start.

Salty: Switch

Andrus: Right

Kinsler: Right

Young: Right

For god's sake, this stubbornness with the role-playing is entering Perlozzo levels. Sherill is not a closer and the only time he should be pitching to a right-handed batter is if they're batting between two lefties.

This is something that absolutely needs to be changed ASAP.

While I agree with you, let's not pretend Trembley is unique. Pretty much every manager in baseball chooses a "closer" and uses him in that role whenever there is a save situation, and doesn't given the job to someone else until the first guy has blown multiple saves.

We all understand how stupid that is, but for whatever reason (economics of the game overvaluing saves, fear of failing doing "something different" as opposed to being able to say you "went by the book" and it didn't work, whatever) -- the fact is, every manager does it and Trembley is not unique.

I can name "the closer" on every team in baseball, and I guarantee that guy will be in in any save situation unless he is tired from recent work or that rare occasion where they will let the starter go for a shutout or a CG.

Not defending Trembely, just saying that no matter who we have at manaager it would probably be the same.

I wonder if McPhail and/or Trembley actually believe that GS is a quality closer or if they are just trying to inflate his trade value by racking up some saves? If its the former, I would be very concerned. I like GS, but he is in the complete wrong role. He is not a closer, or even an 8th inning guy. Like the thread title says....he is a LOOGY.

Trembley will say whatever he's gonna say for now to protect his players but if we all see what Sherrill's ideal role is I assure you he and the staff does as well. If Ray keeps pitching the way he has recently it's just a matter of time before he's moved into the closer's role. It has nothing to do with trying to inflate his trade value, Sherrill has a role on a contending team and I think we intend to keep him. It's just that we need to get him into his ideal role ASAP.

Go ahead and yawn, but there has been plenty of this under Trembley's reign

I do think Trembley is too rigid in his management. He definitely wears guys out and I don't like his rule that if he gets a bullpen guy warmed up then they're definitely coming into the game.

However, he doesn't have a Nathan or Paplebon to get automatic saves. We'd be blowing games no matter who was managing.

Archived