He's a LOOGY!

Lt Melmo

BTW, Sherrill just acknowledged that he screwed up by throwing too many pitches in the same place. Good to see that he understands what really happened.

Sherrill didn't execute, but Trembley should have never put him in that position. If Ray pitches the eighth, Sherrill probably never sees Kinsler or Young with a 1 run lead...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in the game thread right as Young hit the HR. I pitch carefully to Young there and take my chances with Hamilton even though you'd be putting the tying run at 2nd and go ahead at first. I personally think Sherrill and Zaun didn't pick their spot well there. That said if as a closer you are pitching around guys for a favorable matchup you probably shouldn't be a closer.

Sherrill didn't execute, but Trembley should have never put him in that position. If Ray pitches the eighth, Sherrill probably never sees Kinsler or Young with a 1 run lead...

That is hypothetical at best. There is no way of knowing this.

How about something we can substantiate?

And Sherril pitched ok, just too many fastballs. And it caught him tonight.

We will bounce back tomorrow, and DT will go back to the well once again...

You know why? B/c he understands stuff happens in this game.

We really do type the same stuff a LOT these days. Our teams even follow each other in the standings. I'm freaked out. What does your girlfriend look like? Rox is 5'4", brown hair, hazel eyes, athletic... Are they twins? :D

Tall, blonde hair, blue eyes, green thumb.

And yeah, I've noticed some symmetries lately myself.

You're creepin' me out!!!!

While I agree with you, let's not pretend Trembley is unique. Pretty much every manager in baseball chooses a "closer" and uses him in that role whenever there is a save situation, and doesn't given the job to someone else until the first guy has blown multiple saves.

We all understand how stupid that is, but for whatever reason (economics of the game overvaluing saves, fear of failing doing "something different" as opposed to being able to say you "went by the book" and it didn't work, whatever) -- the fact is, every manager does it and Trembley is not unique.

I can name "the closer" on every team in baseball, and I guarantee that guy will be in in any save situation unless he is tired from recent work or that rare occasion where they will let the starter go for a shutout or a CG.

Not defending Trembely, just saying that no matter who we have at manaager it would probably be the same.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have a closer. Not that I think it's always efficient, I'm fine with that general role. I'm saying that Sherrill is not that closer... he's a LOOGY, and he needs to be used as one.

And to everyone calling me reactionary... it's certainly true that I posted this in a little fit of anger after the homer. But I, like many people here, have felt for a long time that Sherrill shouldn't be facing righties in most situations. I didn't need this game to convince me the bullpen is being mismanaged, it was just a catalyst for starting this thread.

Roch asked Trembley about why he yanked Uehara:

We did ask. Trembley said, "Davis for me is a guy who can hit the ball out of the ballpark there and I don't think you want that to happen again. Walker faced him down in Texas twice. It looked like we had the right matchup there." - Roch

Davis was 0-2 with a K on the night vs. Uehara and he was up with the bases empty and two outs. The worst thing that happens is that Davis hits a solo HR. That's one run and you've still got a lead. I think considering how Uehara had owned Davis on the night, Trembley should have left him in.

That would have changed events drastically from what followed IMO. It was the key mistake of the night.

For god's sake, this stubbornness with the role-playing is entering Perlozzo levels. .

I agree completely.

It doesn't take 4+ relief pitchers to kill 2.1 innings. It shouldn't anyway. Ray's stuff was good enough that he could have eaten at least two of those innings leading up to Sherrill. The game could have been 4-2 at that point, and the two run bomb would have been less of a problem.

Plus, it wears out multiple arms that are serving the same role. Who knows, maybe it would be good to have Ray tomorrow, or have JJ get some rest.

I'm not sold at ALL on Trembley's pen management.

I've said it about other games, DT manages every game like it is the WS. Even if it works and none of the 4 relievers he plans to use have an off night, he's burning through arms too early in the season and it will come back to haunt us. If you bring Ray in, let him go the next inning and you can probably save JJ for tomorrow. Look for tired and disabled bp arms later this year just like last.

I've said it about other games, DT manages every game like it is the WS. Even if it works and none of the 4 relievers he plans to use have an off night, he's burning through arms too early in the season and it will come back to haunt us. If you bring Ray in, let him go the next inning and you can probably save JJ for tomorrow. Look for tired and disabled bp arms later this year just like last.

I agree 100%. He's supposed to be sparing the bullpen. Tonight he overmanaged and cost his team the win as a result.

Koji was dominating the Rangers up until that HR, but still had two outs and nobody on base and was facing a hitter that was 0-2 with a K against him.

Let him finish the inning and save Walker and Ray for the 8th.

I was at the game tonight ,brutal loss. Trembley managed fine tonight. If he leaves Ray in the 8th and he struggles people would complain about that. Koji looked finished to me, that was the right move. Izturis needs to make that play in the 8th, plain and simple. I had a nervous feeling all night when we didn't add any runs and then the Andrus play in the 8th inning.

Ray might wind up being the closer again but people need to be patient. Trembley isn't going to rush him back to that role nor should he. This is a Texas team we should take 3 of 4 from, we better get a split now.

Sitting up in the left field corner, I managed to call Walker coming in, not getting his guy and getting replaced immediately, as well as the Sherrill four-out save attempt two batters out.

That shouldn't be a good thing.

It was pretty predictible once Koji was taken out what was going to happen. It's a bit like watching a train wreck though.

There's such a thing as momentum in baseball. There should be a rule that if your starter has two outs with the bases empty and can get another one and he's dominated the other team and has a decent lead, that you leave him in. This reminded me a little of the MDM.

Archived