He's a LOOGY!

Lt Melmo

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've prided myself on not making reactionary threads and making fun of those who do ( ;) ) but I can't take it anymore.

This game isn't over (yet) but Sherrill just killed any chance of us winning it in the 10th inning by giving up a bomb so the Jays could tie it.

A one run lead simply isn't safe at all with this guy. I'm not sure if Ray is the answer but keeping this guy in the closers role is a big mistake.

My question is whether we could get anything for Brim Reeker at this point even if we wanted to trade him. I know he has value as a LOOGY but at this point, his value has to be in the toilet.

Yeah, we should not be employing a closer at this point. I think it should be more of a match-up thing. What good is it to have Johnson come out and pitch to lefties in the 8th and Sherrill pitching to righties in the ninth. Something needs to change. On any given night depending on the matchup we should be employing Johnson, Ray, Sherrill or Baez as closer.

It's pretty senseless bullpen management when you consider the hitters he had to face. Any logical thought would have led to leaving JJ in to face the righties.

In anycase, for me it's time to let Baez close. If he can be lights out for 2 months we could yet get something decent for him at the deadline.

Yeah, we should not be employing a closer at this point. I think it should be more of a match-up thing. What good is it to have Johnson come out and pitch to lefties in the 8th and Sherrill pitching to righties in the ninth. Something needs to change. On any given night depending on the matchup we should be employing Johnson, Ray, Sherrill or Baez as closer.

I agree. Losing teams don't really need closers - they need effective relievers. At this point, we should match relievers to situations, not specific innings, and see who pitches best.

I agree completely, Moose. We may not have any other polished closer on the roster, but we would be losing nothing to try someone else. Sherrill is almost the worst case scenario at closer. He never, NEVER goes 1, 2, 3. At 1.69, he has to have one of the highest WHIPs of any closer in the league.

I agree completely, Moose. We may not have any other polished closer on the roster, but we would be losing nothing to try someone else. Sherrill is almost the worst case scenario at closer. He never, NEVER goes 1, 2, 3. At 1.69, he has to have one of the highest WHIPs of any closer in the league.

Yeah when is the last time he went 1-2-3 in an inning?

It seems that he always gets runners on base and is either lucky, or blows a save.

When the mods kill kneejerk reactionary threads in the main forum about stuff from the game thread, I like it when they leave the old ones there and mark them "Moved", so we can see how many folks thought they needed to start a new thread about it.

When the mods kill kneejerk reactionary threads in the main forum about stuff from the game thread, I like it when they leave the old ones there and mark them "Moved", so we can see how many folks thought they needed to start a new thread about it.

If you think that this is a reactionary thread (most overused phrase on OH) then you haven't been watching Sherrill all season. Some reactions are warranted.

If you think that this is a reactionary thread (most overused phrase on OH) then you haven't been watching Sherrill all season. Some reactions are warranted.
You're a joke.

Because I like to see how many people think they need to start new threads on the same exact topic, rather than add to the threads that are already there?

Excuse me.... rant on... maybe you can start a couple *more* threads about the exact same topic... if you both started 3 more, that would increase the count by 6 ;-)

Archived