He's a LOOGY!

Lt Melmo

I've prided myself on not making reactionary threads and making fun of those who do ( ;) ) but I can't take it anymore.

This game isn't over (yet) but Sherrill just killed any chance of us winning it in the 10th inning by giving up a bomb so the Jays could tie it.

A one run lead simply isn't safe at all with this guy. I'm not sure if Ray is the answer but keeping this guy in the closers role is a big mistake.

Here here. I pride myself on not overreacting either but keeping Sherrill in the closer's role is just flat out wrong. As I said in the game thread it is as much about how much more effective Sherrill should be if used properly as it is how effective whoever it is we pick to be our closer.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before today sherrill held Lefties to .083.......

but Righties were crushing him at .414.........

Seriously why is this so difficult? When I see those splits I can't think of anything more obvious then to use him in a situational lefty role.

I've prided myself on not making reactionary threads and making fun of those who do ( ;) ) but I can't take it anymore.

This game isn't over (yet) but Sherrill just killed any chance of us winning it in the 10th inning by giving up a bomb so the Jays could tie it.

A one run lead simply isn't safe at all with this guy. I'm not sure if Ray is the answer but keeping this guy in the closers role is a big mistake.

Agreed. I'm one of the biggest Sherrill fans you'll find, but it's been pretty clear for a while now that this isn't his optimal role. I'm sure he loves being the closer and I'm sure the last thing in the world he wants to do is give that role to someone else... but at this point, he's worked himself out of that role, and Baez, in my opinion, has worked himself into it. It's time to give Baez a chance to succeed as the closer. If not him, Johnson would probably be my next choice. I don't feel confident enough in Ray yet.

When the mods kill kneejerk reactionary threads in the main forum about stuff from the game thread, I like it when they leave the old ones there and mark them "Moved", so we can see how many folks thought they needed to start a new thread about it.

"kneejerk reactionary" implies that changing his role is illogical idea based on a few weeks of poor pitching.

Sherrill hasn't been an effective closer since about June of last year. And he wasn't great then, he just hung on to enough 3-run leads to keep his job.

I am so sick of Sherrill. I have been saying for I don't know how long that he isn't a closer. He has no where near the arsenal or mentality and throws meatballs. He was just fortunate last year to come in with big enough leads and have balls smashed right to fielders. And he still blew, what, 6 or 7 saves? That is not good.

Trembley is being too stubborn, it is apparent that someone else should close. Baez, Ray, Johnson...any of those three would do better.

I'm sure DT will switch Sherrill to LOOGY very soon and probably move Johson to closer and Baez in to 8th inning roll.
If DT had half a brain, the move would have been made ages ago. I have zero expectations.

Ages ok who would you have replaced him with? Ray, Baez, and then Walker were shelved/terrible last year. Johnson was in his first year. It should be Johnson now and if DT doesn't try it and make the switch within 7 calendar days, then griping is fair game.

If DT had half a brain, the move would have been made ages ago. I have zero expectations.

I think we all knew ages ago that Sherrill wasnt a good closer but the team was committed to him in that role and they didn't have Baez or Ray at all last year and JJ for half a year. So the move couldn't have been made until now. I hope it will.

Ages ok who would you have replaced him with? Ray, Baez, and then Walker were shelved/terrible last year. Johnson was in his first year. It should be Johnson now and if DT doesn't try it and make the switch within 7 calendar days, then griping is fair game.

Why? This forum has known it for 2 weeks. In those two weeks, the O's have lost what, 11 games?

If OH knows it, then the manager being paid ~a million dollars should know it.

Why? This forum has known it for 2 weeks. In those two weeks, the O's have lost what, 11 games?

If OH knows it, then the manager being paid ~a million dollars should know it.

Trembley isn't paid that much, but in any case he's paid to be a lot more patient and rational than a bunch guys ranting on a messageboard. It's not like he had Trevor Hoffman in his prime sitting on the bench while Sherrill blew games. Any move he makes will be greeted with skepticism, since there's no obvious closer on the team.

Trembley isn't paid that much, but in any case he's paid to be a lot more patient and rational than a bunch guys ranting on a messageboard. It's not like he had Trevor Hoffman in his prime sitting on the bench while Sherrill blew games. Any move he makes will be greeted with skepticism, since there's no obvious closer on the team.

Yeah, there's no obvious closer on the team.

But it's also obvious that Sherrill is shaky at BEST right now.

C'mon Drungo, admit it...if you were on the bench in Trembley's shoes right now would you put Sherrill in with a one run lead?

Yeah, there's no obvious closer on the team.

But it's also obvious that Sherrill is shaky at BEST right now.

C'mon Drungo, admit it...if you were on the bench in Trembley's shoes right now would you put Sherrill in with a one run lead?

He's among the last cats I'd summon in that situation right now.

Archived