Songs You'd Rather Hear During the 7th Inning Stretch

Philbertun

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, anyone saying that TGIACB is a Baltimore tradition obviously doesn't know that the Atlanta Braves play it during their 7th inning stretch too. And it makes a hell of a lot more sense for them.

Are you kidding? How long have the Orioles been playing it during the 7th inning stretch?

Me thinks you don't know what the definition of tradition is.

I don't think it should be the same song every night. Why not play something depending on how the game is going. So, for when we're losing or its tied we can play Randy Newman - Baltimore. And when we're winning we should play Kool and the Gang - Boogie Wonderland.

Also, anyone saying that TGIACB is a Baltimore tradition obviously doesn't know that the Atlanta Braves play it during their 7th inning stretch too. And it makes a hell of a lot more sense for them.

Maybe we should stop playing the National Anthem before the games, since everyone else does it.

It's a pretty terrible song, but it is the only song that should ever be played at Camden Yards during the seventh inning stretch.

It's tradition. It's funny. It's something everyone knows and expects when they come to the ballpark. We should have more traditions like this. Baltimore is quirky city, embrace it.

It might be that...but you've got some balls making that claim. I don't even think The Trea would make something up as outlandish as that statement ;)

Songs are what people make them.

The overwrought imagery and patriotic language, and the catchy tune it was attached to made "The Star-Spangled Banner" a popular song, and eventually it was named the national anthem. It was played for decades at baseball games and other sporting events before that point, though, because of the reasons I mentioned.

I'm sure there were people who thought it was silly then, too. But it became a tradition that continued after official sanction of the song as our national song.

Obviously I'm not going to say that TGIACB is going to end up the state song or something (after all, we're not West Virginia :D), but it's a tradition that most people like.

Maybe we should stop playing the National Anthem before the games, since everyone else does it.

All I'm saying is that you need to stop acting like it is a sacred and exclusive Baltimore tradition. The song is awful, it makes no sense in connection to bmore, and--so it seems--a significant amount of the people who the song is supposed to entertain are saying that they don't ever want to hear the song again. Sorry if that offends you, but truth is truth. Sometimes it hurts.

Archived