Brian Matusz 4/25

Lucky Jim

A good, not great, line from Brian today:

6 IP 6H 3R 2ER 2BB 8K 2HR

He's getting Ks. But he's giving up a lot of hits (relatively speaking) and a relatively high number of HRs.

Not a good trend. But not worrying, exactly.

On the year: 21.2 IP 22H 8ER 3HR 9BBs 26K

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matusz got a LOT of help on defense today, but he's certainly pitching to contact. Tyler Henson had several good picks of groundballs (yes I realize he had another error) and Pedro Florimon made a fantastic leaping grab that resulted in an unassisted double play.

Velocity-wise Matusz was up to 93 on the stadium gun, even in the fifth and sixth innings he was hitting 91,92.

He's not as dominant as I thought he would be, yet he is getting good results.

In Billy Rowell's last 11 games he has 6 walks in 36 ABs. I take this as a good sign. I always forget he is 20 years old.

Billy's having a good homestand. A 1-for-3 performance today, drew a walk and made a good play on a ball hit into the right field corner, tracked it well and made a dart of a throw back to the second baseman as the Nationals runner held up at second with a double.

He seems like he still may be transitioning over from college ball to pro ball. I think it was Caleb Joseph who was quoted saying that Matusz is yet to pitch as well as he can yet. Soon he is going to get himself into a groove and take off.

I remember in spring training that the team was cutting back on how many curves he was throwing. They thought he was pitching backwards too much and wanted him to learn to spot the fastball better. I think this is perhaps a reason why he isnt dominate.

He might be going out there with one pitch tied behind his back.

Apparently he is not holding back anything, but even though the HR ball is what hurt him today, his walks are really what is killing him. This to me means he has not yet found his groove. Like I said earlier, he really about to take off.

What is his best pitch supposed to be? I swear every website I read says his best pitch is something else. Some say the change is his best, some say the slider is, and now many are saying the hook is his best pitch. Of course this idea is subjective and opinion-based, so I guess there is no real answer. But I have heard that he does not use his slider very much, and maybe he should use it more in the mix because from what I hear that pitch is disgusting!

Florimon has changed his mechanics at the plate, but more importantly, he's actually hitting w/ "confidence". He's honestly a different player at the plate. He could turn in to a guy the O's can plan on...he has ALL the tools.

Matusz got a LOT of help on defense today, but he's certainly pitching to contact. Tyler Henson had several good picks of groundballs (yes I realize he had another error) and Pedro Florimon made a fantastic leaping grab that resulted in an unassisted double play.

Velocity-wise Matusz was up to 93 on the stadium gun, even in the fifth and sixth innings he was hitting 91,92.

How do you pitch to contact and have 11K/9 and 3.8 BB/9?

Couldn't the large amount of hits be attributed to the fact that he is aggessively working on his fastball which is by far his best pitch and may be a little flat.

Every indication I have heard is that his offspeed offerings are by far his best pitches. Namely that change-up. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I read that about a million times during the draft last year.

With all the people above me looking to rationalize Matusz's results thusfar, howabout we just say he is looking pretty darn average so far. "A" ball hitters are hitting .260 against him, he has allowed 31 baserunners in 22 innings, and he is NOT looking like "the most m.l. ready pitcher in the draft, " ,thus far. It's april, its early, and I hope I'm wrong, but so far hes what I expected: Projected as a # 3 starter. Not bad, but lets just see how many all-star type bats we passed up before we judge too harshly.

Archived