Brian Matusz 4/25

Lucky Jim

I Attended the game yesterday. Sat behind homeplate. He has very, very good stuff and poise.

1st inning he walked the leadoff man, only to pick him off and first.

The first homerun was a solo shot, and the second came during a 6-1 keys lead.

He had a problem holding runners. But he probably wasn't concerned with them stealing third up 6-2 with two outs, in the 5th or 6th inning.

He was in complete control the entire game.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all the people above me looking to rationalize Matusz's results thusfar, howabout we just say he is looking pretty darn average so far. "A" ball hitters are hitting .260 against him, he has allowed 31 baserunners in 22 innings, and he is NOT looking like "the most m.l. ready pitcher in the draft, " ,thus far. It's april, its early, and I hope I'm wrong, but so far hes what I expected: Projected as a # 3 starter. Not bad, but lets just see how many all-star type bats we passed up before we judge too harshly.

So you're saying we should be patient before we judge posters who jumped to baseless conclusions?

Brilliant.

With all the people above me looking to rationalize Matusz's results thusfar, howabout we just say he is looking pretty darn average so far. "A" ball hitters are hitting .260 against him, he has allowed 31 baserunners in 22 innings, and he is NOT looking like "the most m.l. ready pitcher in the draft, " ,thus far. It's april, its early, and I hope I'm wrong, but so far hes what I expected: Projected as a # 3 starter. Not bad, but lets just see how many all-star type bats we passed up before we judge too harshly.

Wow, if the season were only 1 month long. Just remember that statistics are not the best way to judge a player. How about you go see him pitch and then make your judgements.I have not heard one person who has seen Matusz pitch in person say anything bad about his performance. It is only a matter of time before he takes off-watch. And IMO he will be a better major league ball player than Smoak, and even though it is judging apples and oranges, it will not matter because Matusz will be the clear superior ball player.....

He's going to get hit around a little bit, the O's have him on a program to work not use his best pitch much in order to build up the others and to limit his relying on it. If he's relying on his changeup or his curve in the majors, people will be sitting on it. At the college level he can just beat up on hitters because not many of them can hit offspeed stuff that is pitched well, he could dominate these guys just as well, as most guys don't really learn to hit the good offspeed stuff until AA or AAA. (Ryan Howard had a hole in his swing the size of a barn for outside curveballs in AA) They want him to learn how to use his fastball to better set up his money pitches. Trust me, everything is fine, don't get caught up in the stats.

He's going to get hit around a little bit, the O's have him on a program to work not use his best pitch much in order to build up the others and to limit his relying on it. If he's relying on his changeup or his curve in the majors, people will be sitting on it. At the college level he can just beat up on hitters because not many of them can hit offspeed stuff that is pitched well, he could dominate these guys just as well, as most guys don't really learn to hit the good offspeed stuff until AA or AAA. (Ryan Howard had a hole in his swing the size of a barn for outside curveballs in AA) They want him to learn how to use his fastball to better set up his money pitches. Trust me, everything is fine, don't get caught up in the stats.

It is not gonna matter what u say to him, he was a Smoak supporter from day 1. He is still bitter we chose Matusz and will find any reason to bash him, even if he is posting an ERA in the 3's. I really cannot say anything else I havent said about the kid, just give him a bit of time to transition, he is something very very special. We have hitters in the system as good as/better than Smoak. We didnt/still do not have a pitcher in our system better than Matusz. Maybe some of our pitchers end up better than Matusz, but right now he is the best in the system. I do not understand how an orioles fan can really be so against any top prospect in our system....arent we supposed to be rooting for them and not looking for things to bash them on? Where is the support?

It is not gonna matter what u say to him, he was a Smoak supporter from day 1. He is still bitter we chose Matusz and will find any reason to bash him, even if he is posting an ERA in the 3's. I really cannot say anything else I havent said about the kid, just give him a bit of time to transition, he is something very very special. We have hitters in the system as good as/better than Smoak. We didnt/still do not have a pitcher in our system better than Matusz. Maybe some of our pitchers end up better than Matusz, but right now he is the best in the system. I do not understand how an orioles fan can really be so against any top prospect in our system....arent we supposed to be rooting for them and not looking for things to bash them on? Where is the support?

This is just as premature as the posts deriding Matusz.

The only hitter in our system as/good better than Smoak is Wieters. And Matusz, with a 3+ ERA at A ball, is not "the best" in our system right now. He may be soon. But he's not right now.

Scouts have said that Matusz is our second best pitcher in the entire minor and major league system, the best being Guthrie. Yes he is the best pitcher in our minor league system right now. If you brought every single one of our starters up to the major league level, he would fare the best. He may not be the hottest pitcher right now, but he is the best and most polished. Better hitters in our system? Wieters and Snyder is at the very least as good and has posted better numbers at every stop since Smoak has been in pro ball. This has been discussed here recently. We did not have 1 single pitcher in our system like Matusz when we took him. Our best minor league pitchers are rated as high as they are based mostly on projectability. So what if they do not progress anymore? Matusz doesnt need to progress anymore to be a solid major leaguer. Matusz only needs to work on getting used to pitching to wooden bats and facing pro ball players. How can you base Matusz not being the best pitcher in our system based on 1 month of ball? What is that 3, 4 starts? I may be mistaken, but from reading your previous posts, you seemed to have pitched before at some point in your life, I may be wrong or confusing you with someone, but if you have played ball or pitched before, you would know better than most that you cannot judge someone based off of 4 starts.......let him settle in he has the stuff, the poise the pitchability, he is not a project, he is fully baked, so lets what him transition his skill to performance here at the pro level.

Scouts have said that Matusz is our second best pitcher in the entire minor and major league system, the best being Guthrie. Yes he is the best pitcher in our minor league system right now. If you brought every single one of our starters up to the major league level, he would fare the best. He may not be the hottest pitcher right now, but he is the best and most polished. Better hitters in our system? Wieters and Snyder is at the very least as good and has posted better numbers at every stop since Smoak has been in pro ball. This has been discussed here recently. We did not have 1 single pitcher in our system like Matusz when we took him. Our best minor league pitchers are rated as high as they are based mostly on projectability. So what if they do not progress anymore? Matusz doesnt need to progress anymore to be a solid major leaguer. Matusz only needs to work on getting used to pitching to wooden bats and facing pro ball players. How can you base Matusz not being the best pitcher in our system based on 1 month of ball? What is that 3, 4 starts? I may be mistaken, but from reading your previous posts, you seemed to have pitched before at some point in your life, I may be wrong or confusing you with someone, but if you have played ball or pitched before, you would know better than most that you cannot judge someone based off of 4 starts.......let him settle in he has the stuff, the poise the pitchability, he is not a project, he is fully baked, so lets what him transition his skill to performance here at the pro level.

Scouts this season, or scouts judging him against college competition? (By the way, if possible, please provide links to multiple scouts who've said that.)

How do you claim he's the best on 1 month of ball but try to foreclose any allegation that he's not based on the same short span? Do you understand the fundamental illogic?

Sorry, I have yet to see one that has Matusz rated higher than Tillman. Everything I have seen has said that both of them profile as #2's but the difference between a 2 and an ace isn't physical, it's that mental edge and ability to take the ball and stop a streak, or to give your team a chance to win every time out. You can't really evaluate Matusz this season because he is just working on refining points of his game, you aren't seeing the full package yet. When they think he's got the touch he needs on his fastball and curveball, you'll see him use the changeup with it and it will be a nasty combo.

I don't disagree with your post on the face of it but I still believe from what I read in ST (the O's wanted Matusz to concentrate more on his fastball) and from Matusz's own comments (that he was working more on establishing his fastball) that he's pitching a little differently than he did in college and making a bit of an adjustment. Also, just to test you a bit. Pedro Alvarez was considered by many to be the best talent and best hitter in the draft. In "A" ball so far he has a .232 AVG and a .772 OPS. Would you say that he's looked average or below average so far and not looking like all he was made out to be? I'm not saying that. Way too early. BTW, just to quibble, most publications had Matusz as a #2 starter, not a #3.

Well, I suggested that he would end up a # 3. So I Just have a different opinion. As far as Alvarez, I didn't prefer him as much as Posey, Smoak, and Wallace. Even Beckham, the college player has looked much better. Its early I know, but since I did not want a pitcher at #4 unless he had dominant stuff ala Verlander or Beckett. Not with all those bats would I take something less as far as pitchers go.

I Attended the game yesterday. Sat behind homeplate. He has very, very good stuff and poise.

1st inning he walked the leadoff man, only to pick him off and first.

The first homerun was a solo shot, and the second came during a 6-1 keys lead.

He had a problem holding runners. But he probably wasn't concerned with them stealing third up 6-2 with two outs, in the 5th or 6th inning.

He was in complete control the entire game.

Nice to hear, but doesn't change much for me.

So you're saying we should be patient before we judge posters who jumped to baseless conclusions?

Brilliant.

You know, "LUCKY JIM", i wonder how may posters you've jumped on who said Matusz should have started in AA, or even the Majors?? Why is it some posters can't take a different stance, with out sarcasm..Perhaps its yuou that's "brilliant" for having such a narrow point of view that doesn't allow dissenting opinions. After all, alot of Postes have said Matusz is "great" Using the same amout of data that I have. What do you say "lucky Jim"?? Are they jumping to "baseless conclusions, and did you JUMP on them?? No real reason to reply I know the answers .

Wow, if the season were only 1 month long. Just remember that statistics are not the best way to judge a player. How about you go see him pitch and then make your judgements.I have not heard one person who has seen Matusz pitch in person say anything bad about his performance. It is only a matter of time before he takes off-watch. And IMO he will be a better major league ball player than Smoak, and even though it is judging apples and oranges, it will not matter because Matusz will be the clear superior ball player.....

And your saying this based on "wow" only 1 month ??

Sure would like to know where I "bashed " Matusz. Anyone reading the post will read nothing of the sort. Simply stated that the hitters available will be better major leaguers "in my opinion".

Sure would like to know where I "bashed " Matusz. Anyone reading the post will read nothing of the sort. Simply stated that the hitters available will be better major leaguers "in my opinion".

He's saying that because your tone came off like your opinion was fact. Could just be the lack of internet context.

And you don't have to agree with what Jim says, but there is no need to get offended either. Just like you have said over and over the past page that this stuff is your opinion, that is his opinion, that if people don't have sufficient background or evidence to back up a claim, then they shouldn't be making it, especially this early in a season.

Archived