New Wieters article

Hank Scorpio

Really I cant see giving the kid ten million. If he wants to risk injury next year let him. Maybe next year Babe Ruth will be in the draft. Who knows. They are being unreasonable.

You got to know when to hold'em and when to fold'em. When to walk away and when to run.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wieters does, IMO. Unless, of course, he gets injured. But that's really the only risk he's taking.

I agree with you on Weiters' talent, but I couldn't say no to $6mil. The article said he wants to go pro. I'd hold firm if I was the O's.

BTW, who has signed in the top 20? Only a handful right?

I agree with you on Weiters' talent, but I couldn't say no to $6mil. The article said he wants to go pro. I'd hold firm if I was the O's.

BTW, who has signed in the top 20? Only a handful right?

Add that with the fact that he may not be able to get much more than 6mill if he is drafted again next season.

I'm glad to hear that we're closer to offering 6million. That makes me think that Boras is just holding strong til the last minute and then will get Wieters signed like he got Weaver and Drew signed for well below the 10million asking price.

If you're right, I will extend you mad props for being unwavering and steadfast on this point.

However, I do not think you are right. If we don't budge from $6M, I think he takes his ball and goes home.

I doubt it. That would be stupid.

There is just too much risk on Wieters/Boras side.

They lose a lot of leverage if he has to re-enter the draft next year.

He also can fall a lot farther down(from 1st rd, 5th pick) than he can climb up in the draft.

Plus he loses valuable development time.

Taking $6 Mill today is worth much more than taking 6 or 8 mill next year when you factor in risk (injury, loss of leverage, lost development time, etc).

Good news about Arrieta, if that gets done.

They are at least offering Wieters a deal that will be tough for him to refuse...I think 8 million does it for sure...6 million will be tough for him to say no to but i don't think it is out of the question either.

I think it's looking that way. Especially with Porcello's #'s

This is reminding me of the Dice-K negotiations. Check out this article from the day before the deadline:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/12/13/no_progress_on_matsuzaka/

A couple notes from that article:

As day turned into evening in Southern California yesterday, a source with a direct pipeline to the Daisuke Matsuzaka negotiations reported "no progress" in the Red Sox' attempts to sign the Japanese pitcher, who faces a midnight deadline tomorrow to strike a deal or return to Japan.

"Maybe I'll have something to tell you later today," he said before leaving in a Cadillac Escalade, but two hours later, another source with direct knowledge of the talks said there was no chance a deal would be struck last night.

Same kind of talk we are hearing with the Wieters. I think one more increase in our offer should do it.

Is anyone on here opposed to giving him 8 million?

I wouldn't be pissed at the Orioles for doing something like that although I do think it's unnecessary. It would of been like giving Huff the 3/27 deal he wanted instead of getting to accept 3/20... Wouldn't of made a huge difference for the team in the long run, but unnecessary.

But I'm sure that is what Boras wants the O's to do... If he could get them to throw in an extra couple mill for no reason he'll have earned his reputation as "Super Agent" for Wieters.

Logic might agree with you, but this is baseball. A guy who slipped to the 27th pick or so got $7 million dollars. This is the day and age where guys get stupid amounts of money to sign with a team. Is it right? Hell no. But it's the way it is and we've got to either play the game or give up.

If I'm the O's I just stop screwing around. Another $5 million isn't a huge amount of money for a baseball team that just started its own network. We can afford it. What we CAN'T afford, is to let this potential impact player go.

He slipped because teams knew that he was leaning toward accepting an offer to UNC and any team would have to compensate him dearly to make it worth his while to change plans.

from Detroit Free Press:

Porcello, who was the Gatorade Player of the Year at Seton Hall Prep, was Detroit's first-round draft pick in June and will receive a record-breaking $7.28 million package from the Tigers to turn down the University of North Carolina

Wieters doesn't have the leverage that Porcello had.

Archived