New Wieters article

Hank Scorpio

Weiters will cave. This is just smart negotiation. No way he gets this type of money next year because he loses all leverage as a senior. He won't be able to threaten to go back to college.

Most likely the Orioles will end up somewhere in the middle. And if they do, kudos to the front office for doing a good job negotiating. If he doesn't move off of the $10.5 mil, you probably have to let him go. He is a nice prospect, but his college stats aren't near as impressive as Teixiera's 1319 OPS at Georgia Tech.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Davis had a guy from Baseball America on tonight, and he said a good comparison to Weiters isn't Teixiera (who was a dominant player in college in ways Weiters hasn't approached, according to him), but Jeff Clement a couple years ago, who got around $3 million guaranteed. He said that is the kind of money Weiters is likely worth, and what he would be trying to sign him for.

Just thought it was an interesting point to mention.

This actually gives me confidence... He'll be an Oriole if that almost $6m figure is accurate. Make that a take it or leave it offer and he'll be an Oriole. No way in hell he turns that down. Boras is just trying to get the O's to do something stupid and sweeten the offer more between now and tommorrow night.

I agree gesc. Good post.

Steve Davis had a guy from Baseball America on tonight, and he said a good comparison to Weiters isn't Teixiera (who was a dominant player in college in ways Weiters hasn't approached, according to him), but Jeff Clement a couple years ago, who got around $3 million guaranteed. He said that is the kind of money Weiters is likely worth, and what he would be trying to sign him for.

I disagree with this. Yeah, Tex was a better hitter when he played in college. But positional scarcity needs to be taken into account when looking at statistics. Weiters has done what he's doing from the catcher position (and he apparently has a rifle for an arm too.) Teixeira is a first baseman - a position where the average OPS in the majors is something like .820.

Another thing to remember is that this is the first year of the new compensation system. There are still a fair amount of players that haven't signed. If other teams also hold a harder line like the Orioles, it might be better to have the 6th pick next year than it was to have the 5th last year.

I really am not thoroughly convinced that Weiters is the type of transcedent player that many on this board seem to believe. Much of his value seems to be the fact that he is a catcher. His colleges stats are very good, but not tremendous. At 6'5", I am not certain how long he can really remain a catcher.

What?!?!? You mean he isn't a once in a decade player? ;)

Actually Clement has developed nicely if not a bit slower than I thought some anticipated. He looks like he isn't far off and and could be a plus bat catcher. Definately a nice prospect to have in the system.

This whole situation just boggles my mind...I cannot believe that the minor league system has come to this, when people who haven't played a darn game in professional ball wants 10.6 million...I know its just what the game has become, but it going to get to a point where the small market teams are going to be priced out of drafting their players...then what will they have left after that?!? I can't even imagine how much money will be wasted throwing money around like it is now...imagine throwing 10.6 million at the likes of Matt Riley, or all the other 1st rounders we have picked that just plain suck...I'm all for paying for Major League talent...and yes you can say all you want about how this kid could be in the majors by next year...he is also one play away from breaking his leg, or tearing something, or just not making it out of A-ball and then what do you have??

As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't want 6 million dollars then let him suck wind...let him sit through another 30 school credits and another season getting older, not getting paid jack to play a game he supposedly should love. I know the O's had to have an idea of what it would take to sign him...but 10.6...god it makes me sick...Whenever I have kids, I dont know if I want him idolizing a team where the sport isn't based on the game anymore, but how much damn money you can make without even playing the game...

Sorry my heated rant is now over...go on about your business...

At least there was a good game to watch tonight...

This whole situation just boggles my mind...I cannot believe that the minor league system has come to this, when people who haven't played a darn game in professional ball wants 10.6 million...I know its just what the game has become, but it going to get to a point where the small market teams are going to be priced out of drafting their players...then what will they have left after that?!? I can't even imagine how much money will be wasted throwing money around like it is now...imagine throwing 10.6 million at the likes of Matt Riley, or all the other 1st rounders we have picked that just plain suck...I'm all for paying for Major League talent...and yes you can say all you want about how this kid could be in the majors by next year...he is also one play away from breaking his leg, or tearing something, or just not making it out of A-ball and then what do you have??

As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't want 6 million dollars then let him suck wind...let him sit through another 30 school credits and another season getting older, not getting paid jack to play a game he supposedly should love. I know the O's had to have an idea of what it would take to sign him...but 10.6...god it makes me sick...Whenever I have kids, I dont know if I want him idolizing a team where the sport isn't based on the game anymore, but how much damn money you can make without even playing the game...

Sorry my heated rant is now over...go on about your business...

At least there was a good game to watch tonight...

Every league pays for potential. I'd rather pay for potential than pay for known mediocrity, which is what we have a tendency to do. $9M for Jay Payton? What did he do to deserve that type of money?

This article actually makes me feel much better than I did earlier. First of all, it sounds like Arrieta will be signed which is good news. As for Wieters, 6 mil offer is a lot more promising then the 2.5 slot offer that McPhail supposedly didn't want to budge from. I think at this point, the 2 sides can easily split the difference at 7.5 or so. I think the deal will be he wants at least as much as Porcello got and that's what it will take. I think if McPhail has gone up this much its a sign he knows he needs to get this one done. I'm about 70% sure now it will get done, which is up from about the 30% I felt earlier.

Archived