New Wieters article

Hank Scorpio

I can careless if Weiters signs with us. Our insiders said its a done deal already and they are probably right. If he doesn't sign with us we will get the 6th pick next season(if everyone signs that was drafted before us).

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ill say this, I ev talked to my guy more than once since I came on here Saturday to tell you all it was done, and during these developments of its not close, he hasnt changed his stance and what hes heard. And he is an agent....of a well known firm. So take it for what its worth. I am.

My take: Wieters wants to sign and they've long agreed that the ballpark of what the O's have been offering is enough for him to sign but Boras is advising him to wait until the last day to try to squeeze the most money they can out of the deal. That's the only way to reconcile "the deal is done!" with "the 2 sides are not close on money".

I think we'll go to 7-8 million and get it done. As it's been said too much is riding on this one for both sides. I'm not fond of MacPhail saying the compensation isn't a bad consolation, but I know he came up with the idea so he's going to plug it.

It's great to hear that Arrieta will probably be signed. The more good pitching we can get the better. Beato hasn't looked that great this season and neither has Erbe.

I can careless if Weiters signs with us. Our insiders said its a done deal already and they are probably right. If he doesn't sign with us we will get the 6th pick next season(if everyone signs that was drafted before us).

Great! and we can sign a great talent 6th and refuse to pay what he wants and lose that one too!

Or maybe we take a less talented player 6th so we can sign him and he's not any good.

Meanwhile we can watch Wieters have a great career and kill us in another uniform in either scenario.

How about we sign Wieters AND get another top pick next year? BUILD our farm system. Crazy, I know...

I have no idea why any major Orioles fan would ever say something like this :confused:

Ill say this, I ev talked to my guy more than once since I came on here Saturday to tell you all it was done, and during these developments of its not close, he hasnt changed his stance and what hes heard. And he is an agent....of a well known firm. So take it for what its worth. I am.

I pray your guy is right. This signing will be huge in getting this organization going in the right direction again.

Great! and we can sign a great talent 6th and refuse to pay what he wants and lose that one too!

Or maybe we take a less talented player 6th so we can sign him and he's not any good.

Meanwhile we can watch Wieters have a great career and kill us in another uniform in either scenario.

How about we sign Wieters AND get another top pick next year? BUILD our farm system. Crazy, I know...

If we don't sign him. We get two picks in the top 10 next season. If we sign him we only get 1 pick in the top 10. Our Farm system is going to be fine with or without Wieters.

He isn't that great of a prospect. He is too big to be a catcher long term and his hitting isnt superior for a 1st baseman.

Your right. I guess we would have turned down Mike Piazza in his prime too. :rolleyes:

What an apologist...

The guy would be ranked a consensus top prospect by the national media. You know, the type that's up in a year or 2 and making an impact for their team like we've seen with so many other organization the last few years? Wouldn't it be nice if we had that too?

If we don't sign him. We get two picks in the top 10 next season. If we sign him we only get 1 pick in the top 10. Our Farm system is going to be fine with or without Wieters.

Great! We can lose both of them!

I don't understand how you can expect to draft a better prospect then Wieters next year. Why take the chance!? He was the consensus #1 hitter and probably #2 overall behind Price.

And NEWSFLASH: Our Farm System is NOT ok w/o him. We are completely barren of hitting prospects. We've got Rowell and even he's probably a couple years away from a call up. If Wieters lives up to expectations he could be called up NEXT SEASON. Wouldn't that be cool? Why would you be against this?! We're spending more money on the Jay Payton and Aubrey Huffs of the world who are going DOWN in their career. Wouldn't it be nice to spend it with someone on the way UP for a change!?

Your right. I guess we would have turned down Mike Piazza in his prime too. :rolleyes:

What an apologist...

The guy would be ranked a consensus top prospect by the national media. You know, the type that's up in a year or 2 and making and impact for their team like we've seen with so many other organization the last few years? Wouldn't it be nice if we had that too?

MIke Piazza was drafted in like the 30th round of his draft. With the new system, I won't feel bad if Wieters didn't sign and we draft a Highschool kid to a Minor League contract so we don't lose him like Cleveland lost Guts.

MIke Piazza was drafted in like the 30th round of this draft. With the new system, I won't feel bad if Wieters didn't sign and we draft a Highschool kid to a Minor League contract so we don't lose him like Cleveland lost Guts.

Way to miss the point. You said Wieters was too big to be a catcher long term but not enough power for a 1st baseman. Sounds like Mike Piazza's wrap for a long time. I guess he wouldn't have helped our lineup either. I don't even understand the Guthrie analogy. Guthrie failed to perform in the minors and Cleveland left him unprotected on waivers. So your predicting failure for Weiters!?! What kind of logic is this?! I'll take my chances on him performing.

Way to miss the point. You said Wieters was too big to be a catcher long term but not enough power for a 1st baseman. Sounds like Mike Piazza's wrap for a long time. I guess he wouldn't have helped our lineup either. I don't even understand the Guthrie analogy. Guthrie failed to perform in the minors and Cleveland left him unprotected on waivers. So your predicting failure for Weiters!?! What kind of logic is this?! I'll take my chances on him performing.

Guts was signed to a Major League Contract. Wasn't able to make the team and Cleveland had to put him thru waivers.

Mike Piazza was a one in the million.

Guts was signed to a Major League Contract. Wasn't able to make the team and Cleveland had to put him thru waivers.

Mike Piazza was a one in the million.

So one top draft choice failed to live up to his potential so that means none will! Great faulty logic there. What about Adam Loewen? Was that a mistake. Piazza was one in a million but it sounds like Wieters has the same attributes (I'll take the comps to Joe Mauer and Jason Varitek with more power seriously too).

Roch nails it:

It’s not my money.

I say this every time I debate where the Orioles should do their spending, and for how much.

They want to fork out $42 million for the bullpen? Sure, why not? It could be spread out and used to fill other needs, but it’s not my money, so go for it.

If first-round draft pick Matt Wieters and his advisor, a guy named Scott Boras, are looking for somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million to sign, it’s easy for me to endorse it. I’m not being asked to break out my checkbook.

But forget for a minute that my checking account will stay the same – nearly empty – no matter what the Orioles decide. They’d be investing in more than a switch-hitting catcher. They also could be investing in their second baseman and leadoff hitter, their No. 1 starter, and any free agents with even a passing interest in coming to Baltimore.

Brian Roberts and Erik Bedard are more than a little curious to see what the Orioles plan to do in the next few years before making a long-term commitment. Do they have a plan? Are they headed in the right direction? Are they really committed to doing whatever’s necessary to field a winner – such as spending like the Steinbrenners?

You're scrutinized a little closer when your last winning season dates back to 1997.

I’m told it will be a few more years before the MASN money starts rolling in, so that’s not a factor as tomorrow’s deadline approaches. In the meantime, and again, it’s not my money, but letting Matt Wieters re-enter the draft sends a bad message to fans, the players and the rest of the league.

The Orioles will have egg on their faces if they don’t sign him. Or for drafting him without realizing how much it would cost to sign him.

Take either argument and they’re still looking like a grand slam breakfast at IHOP. Or is it Denny’s?

Whichever. They’re both good at 2 a.m.

How good will we be feeling at 11:59 p.m. tomorrow?

Archived